YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Your thoughts on pure unflavored GELATIN as a protein source?

PsyT

Banned
What do you think? It supposed to have joint healing properties and also is a source of amino acids for muscle building. I just bought 256 grams of pure gelatin protein for 7 dollars. Thats ABOUT as cheap as protein from beef (if you consider that 140g of protein per pound of beef and beef is about 3.50-4.00$ a pound). No preparation necessary, just dump gelatin powder in cup and add water and drink immediately (quick lest it congeals on you!). It even comes in handy packets (each packet = 8g protein).

Do you think this will work as a good source of protein? I am planning on consuming it in between meals (3 packets or in other words 24g protein) 2x/day as a way to get some extra protein in and help soothe joints from heavy lifting. I heard about guys using it in PWO shakes.

Kinda strange I know to be eating the ligament and joint tissue of other animals. But we eat their muscles might as well branch out to other parts of their body haha :D

thoughts...?

Last edited:
Again??

What do you think? It supposed to have joint healing properties and also is a source of amino acids for muscle building. I just bought 256 grams of pure gelatin protein for 7 dollars. Thats ABOUT as cheap as protein from beef (if you consider that 140g of protein per pound of beef and beef is about 3.50-4.00$ a pound). No preparation necessary, just dump gelatin powder in cup and add water and drink immediately (quick lest it congeals on you!). It even comes in handy packets (each packet = 8g protein).

Do you think this will work as a good source of protein? I am planning on consuming it in between meals (3 packets or in other words 24g protein) 2x/day as a way to get some extra protein in and help soothe joints from heavy lifting. I heard about guys using it in PWO shakes.

Kinda strange I know to be eating the ligament and joint tissue of other animals. But we eat their muscles might as well branch out to other parts of their body haha :D

thoughts...?

Again?? Really?? Man, do a search on here PLEASE

All that was found with a search was one thread

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/45843-beef-gelatin-powder.html

about beef gelatin powder from NOW

but there's no anecdotal reports there...just some people talking about price...I was guessing SOMEBODY has seen the gelatin protein in the jello aisle like me and figured it would be useful (especially at that price!) and used it and could give me a report. Well I'll just guinea pig that shit myself then :p

Carry on though if this thread has been done I will drop it then :)

Very interesting

Never heard of this idea before

Do you know what the amino profile looks like for gelatin?

"The following table is a typical analysis of the amino acids obtained after the hydrolysis of 100 g of gelatin. However, such percentages can alter depending on the type of raw material and the gelatin manufacturing process.

Alanine 8.9%
Arginine 7.8%
Asperic acid 6.0%
Glutamic acid 10.0%
Glycine 21.4%
Histidine 0.8%
Hydoxylysine 1.0%
Hydroxyproline 11.9%
Isoleucine 1.5%
Leucine 3.3%
Lycine 3.5%
Methionine 0.7%
Phenylanine 2.4%
Proline 12.4%
Serine 3.6%
Theronine 2.1%
Tyrosine 0.5%
Valine 2.2%
100% "

It is not a complete protein because it lacks tryptophan (easily obtainable in bulk powder) and cystine. Also methionine is very low. This would suggest it is best used in combination with other complete proteins (like in a whey shake for instance or after a meal of beef or chicken to increase amount of protein consumed).

Source: Gelatin Manufacturer's Association

Very interesting

Never heard of this idea before

Do you know what the amino profile looks like for gelatin?

Gelatin = LBAs. Lean Beef Aminos = hydrolyzed collagen = gelatin.

One and the same, as far as I know.

Yes, it's the oldest protein supplement ever. Even Steve Reeves used it, swore by Knox Gelatin. "LBA" isn't anything new. ;)

All that was found with a search was one thread

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/45843-beef-gelatin-powder.html

about beef gelatin powder from NOW

but there's no anecdotal reports there...just some people talking about price...I was guessing SOMEBODY has seen the gelatin protein in the jello aisle like me and figured it would be useful (especially at that price!) and used it and could give me a report. Well I'll just guinea pig that shit myself then :p

Carry on though if this thread has been done I will drop it then :)

TP's beef protein powder matches the amino profile of gelatin also. ;)

Gelatin Manufacturer's Institute said:
There is also evidence that eating gelatin regularly is beneficial in the treatment of joint conditions.

Recent investigations by Prof. Milan Adam from Prague have shown that gelatin therapy is effective when administered early and continuously for at least two months at a level of 10g daily. The therapy has to be repeated at intervals. The recommended dose can be integrated in the normal daily protein intake and, as gelatin protein resembles body protein collagen, no toxic side effects are known or anticipated.

Gelatin protein contains a high portion of the hydroxyproline, hydrosylysine and arginine. Together with the sulphur-containing amino acid L-cystine these amino acids are the essential building blocks for synthesis of collagen and proteoglycans in cartilage.

It is believed that an optimal availability of such amino acids can prevent the degeneration of cartilage in arthrosis.

This positive effect of gelatin is confirmed by the results of recent therapy-studies and experiments. Investigations to improve the condition of rough and broken finger-nails and the texture of hair have also shown that the regular consumption of gelatin has a positive effect.

Some more information. GMI (I assume a separate entity from GMA cited in the above post haha):
GMI said:
Protein quality of gelatin

Gelatin contains 9 of the amino acids essential for humans.
Alanine 11.3

Arginine *9.0

Aspartic Acid 6.7

Glutamic Acid 11.6

Glycine 27.2

Histidine * 0.7

Proline 15.5

Hydroxyproline 13.3

Hydroxylysine 0.8

Isoleucine *1.6

Leucine *3.5

Lysine *4.4

Methionine *0.6

Phenylalanine 2.5

Serine 3.7

Threonine * 2.4

Tryptophan * 0.0

Tyrosine 0.2

Valine 2.8
*'s indicate essential aminos

I was told by a doctor that plain gelatin was good for the joints. I wouldn't doubt that is has been repackaged and sold under a different name by the supplement companies. It may be worth mixing in a protein shake. As for the "do a search comment". This is a discussion forum and plenty of old threads have outdated info.

I remember reading on this board that alot of the old heads would swear by
Knox Gelatine..

I was told by a doctor that plain gelatin was good for the joints. I wouldn't doubt that is has been repackaged and sold under a different name by the supplement companies. It may be worth mixing in a protein shake. As for the "do a search comment". This is a discussion forum and plenty of old threads have outdated info.

The reason for the confusion is the deliberate disinformation spread on the forums to sell these supplements. Though I understand that "lean beef aminos" sounds a lot more sexy than gelatin. It just doesn't sound as cool and powerful a muscle builder. :D

The reason for the confusion is the deliberate disinformation spread on the forums to sell these supplements. Though I understand that "lean beef aminos" sounds a lot more sexy than gelatin. It just doesn't sound as cool and powerful a muscle builder. :D

I was thinking something like that was going on here. Look, I don't want to tread on anybody's toes or business...especially in this economy. But likewise I am looking to bounce ideas off people here to find affordable sources of protein. I'm literally broke as fuck (as a lot of people are these days sadly)...so I have to literally count every gram of protein I consume and make sure I am buying the most affordable stuff possible.

Hopefully someday I can buy the 'cool' protein supplements. But for now its KNOX UNFLAVORED GELATINE for me :eek::eek::eek:

Gelatin and LBA's are similar in that they are both hydrolyzed collagen. LBA's have been updated to include tryptophan, making it a complete protein source. It does help with joint health and has recently gained more attention for it's anti-catabolic effects. Do a pubmed search for "Hydrolyzed collagen" and you will find some good reading material. One thing that may be of interest to you is that not all hydrolyzed collagens are created equal. The way they are hydrolyzed will have a large impact on their molecular weight, which will effect the rate of absorption in the gut. Kind of like whey concentrate versus isolate vs hydrosylate.

Exactly

Gelatin and LBA's are similar in that they are both hydrolyzed collagen. LBA's have been updated to include tryptophan, making it a complete protein source. It does help with joint health and has recently gained more attention for it's anti-catabolic effects. Do a pubmed search for "Hydrolyzed collagen" and you will find some good reading material. One thing that may be of interest to you is that not all hydrolyzed collagens are created equal. The way they are hydrolyzed will have a large impact on their molecular weight, which will effect the rate of absorption in the gut. Kind of like whey concentrate versus isolate vs hydrosylate.

Thats is why knox gelatin is in no way the same as LBAs..........Ripleys believe it or not.

Plus U get the added benefits of glycerol in the LBAs.

Steve Reeves, Eggs and Joints

I remember the interview with Steve Reeves and his use of Knox gelatin... he also said they would take it with an egg to complete the gelatin's AA profile, so they knew it needed a little "boost".

There is some scientific evidence that Knox will/does help joint pain. I remember perusing a scientific article years ago in the medical library (can't tell you how much they used though and for how long to see benefits).

As far as a protein source- similar to Reeves, for YOUR intent's and purposes, don't take it by itself but mix it with your protein shakes. This will also help with the idea of getting your protein from a couple/few different sources.

^ most of the studies I read used 10g of gelatin protein per day on top of a normal diet. After 2-3 months there was improvement in mobility and decrease in joint pain.

I'm interested in hearing more reports about people that used gelatin protein successfully. I understand those with a vested economic interest in selling LBAs...but I don't want this to turn into a LBA vs Knox thread honestly. Like I said I dont want to tread on anybody's toes...I just want to hear experience about gelatin protein from ya'll since you are the vets :)

There was a study done on woman one time.. They were comparing Hydrolyzed Collagen/Gelatin against Whey for retention of muscle mass. Gelatin won. Let me dig it up.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131