over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anti depressants? Worthwhile?

chgolatin2

Registered
Been suffering from a low point in my life, also, being a combat veteran hasn't helped me much. I feel in some ways that I am weak if I decide to take a pill to "try" to make me feel better.. Don't know if others feels like me. I'm suppose not be weak, show a sign of weakness, be man, a Warrior, a fighter etc but I've been down for many years but I've dealt w it. Being diagnosed w PTSD is another factor, first I thought that my symptoms were just that symptoms but after a while I discover that I was and still am suffering from PTSD. The Dr informed me that depression and PTSD go hand and hand but I informed the Dr that I was hesitant on taking a psych drug due to the side affects, etc etc he recommended a low dose of Prozac, very low dose but I'm still on the fence wether to begin taking such a pill.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I offered you an idea to help... you wanna try it? I know you and bro you don`t need head pills. You got this "poor me" mentality that is killing you. If you look around, you got it all... except a girl. Not the end of the world. Get your head straight and she will pop out of no where

Listen to your doctor. I've read several of your threads. Side effects are minimal and life benefits could be enormous. You've been through extraordinary circumstances. Sometimes extraordinary circumstances require extraordinary measures.

I agree with "listen to your dr" BUT you should also question your dr "WHY?" and do your own research, many/most dr`s are just drug pushers with very little knowledge of the products they Rx, except what they heard over a free lunch from a drug rep. They don`t read the studies (which can be skewed any way they want).

Here`s and example of "making statistics say what you want". The label for lipitor says it lowers risk of heart attack by 30%. Facts and what that means. On average 3 people on placebo had a heart attack, of 100 people taking lipitor ONLY 2 people had a heart attack, that is a 30% reduction. From 3, down to 2 heart attacks per 100 people. That is called the NNT, number needed to treat. Give the drug to 100 people and it will help 1! That makes a BILLION dollar drug. The 2 different control groups can be skewed by adding different types of people to each.

I offered you an idea to help... you wanna try it? I know you and bro you don`t need head pills. You got this "poor me" mentality that is killing you. If you look around, you got it all... except a girl. Not the end of the world. Get your head straight and she will pop out of no where

Bro, it's not a girl issue or me having it all,
What you see outside it's not always reality. Have you ever been a combat soldier, have you ever been mistreated, abandoned, neglected, abused by your own family?

Have you done things that cause you sleepless nights, bad nightmares, be hyper vigilant, uneasy in crowds, uncomfortable driving your own car because of bad experiences in combat?

I merely posted a question for suggestions, not to get slammed by saying that I have a "poor me" attitude that's not the case because the last person that feels sorry for myself is me. In life and as humans there are things that we can't control, also, if you haven't lived my life how can you tell?

I've always been a survivor, a warrior, but you can have the world by the balls, be loaded w money, materials things etc and literally have the world by the balls and still be unhappy. Also, the Dr was a doctor from the VA hospital, not some drug pusher,
Money greedy fuck from nowhere. I get what your saying about "head pills" trust me that I'm the last guy to who will try a psychotropic drug because I am afraid of them and I've experience what some drugs can do to people. Some people just need help, and that help doesn't come from the outside, success, money, material things, etc..

Being truly alone sucks, no family around for emotional support, friends? Well very few, but when you lay down to sleep and the monster start to appear then what is you suppose to do? It's always easier to judge others, when it's not you!

Bro, it's not a girl issue or me having it all,
What you see outside it's not always reality. Have you ever been a combat soldier, have you ever been mistreated, abandoned, neglected, abused by your own family?

Have you done things that cause you sleepless nights, bad nightmares, be hyper vigilant, uneasy in crowds, uncomfortable driving your own car because of bad experiences in combat?

I merely posted a question for suggestions, not to get slammed by saying that I have a "poor me" attitude that's not the case because the last person that feels sorry for myself is me. In life and as humans there are things that we can't control, also, if you haven't lived my life how can you tell?

I've always been a survivor, a warrior, but you can have the world by the balls, be loaded w money, materials things etc and literally have the world by the balls and still be unhappy. Also, the Dr was a doctor from the VA hospital, not some drug pusher,
Money greedy fuck from nowhere. I get what your saying about "head pills" trust me that I'm the last guy to who will try a psychotropic drug because I am afraid of them and I've experience what some drugs can do to people. Some people just need help, and that help doesn't come from the outside, success, money, material things, etc..

Being truly alone sucks, no family around for emotional support, friends? Well very few, but when you lay down to sleep and the monster start to appear then what is you suppose to do? It's always easier to judge others, when it's not you!

You know I never been in combat. Thank you for your service. Have the VA dr`s really done any research on the meds they are gonna Rx? I don`t believe in getting people "high" on serotonin. It does not address your underlying issues, like most meds, at best it covers it up so you live like a zombie. I can tell all the time when people take fake happy pills. They just don`t seem genuine.

I have not spoke to my mom in 20 years! When I decided to cut off that cancer called "mom" I was 16. Do I miss not having what I think is a normal mom? Of course, but I don`t let that impact my life, I have dealt with it. I now believe a mom in life would be great, but not necessary and not going to cause harm on me now, because she is an asshole. When I was 15 we lived by the train tracks, I thought about it more than a few times, just go lay down and the bullshit will be over. Some how, I decided by doing that, I would lose and my mom, my problems would win. I have not spoke with my brother in 3 yrs either. I speak with my dad but not that openly because he always has a good dose of criticism loaded up waiting for anything.

There are many people that have the same feeling you do, but for different reasons. Not everybody that feels those same demons was in combat and although we are all very different, most times our problems are not.

I was not trying to slam you bro, sorry you took it that way.

Been suffering from a low point in my life, also, being a combat veteran hasn't helped me much. I feel in some ways that I am weak if I decide to take a pill to "try" to make me feel better.. Don't know if others feels like me. I'm suppose not be weak, show a sign of weakness, be man, a Warrior, a fighter etc but I've been down for many years but I've dealt w it. Being diagnosed w PTSD is another factor, first I thought that my symptoms were just that symptoms but after a while I discover that I was and still am suffering from PTSD. The Dr informed me that depression and PTSD go hand and hand but I informed the Dr that I was hesitant on taking a psych drug due to the side affects, etc etc he recommended a low dose of Prozac, very low dose but I'm still on the fence wether to begin taking such a pill.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks for the help!

I don't have PTSD and have not been in any combat zone. My best friend was in Iraq and did have some serious issues when he got back. His MD recommended the medication route to help. He decided against it and seen a counselor. They got to the ROOT of his issues and did not just treat the side effects of his root issue with drugs. He is a different man now, married, and has a baby on the way, super happy go lucky type guy.
Drugs will only treat your side effects of your root issues. Whether they are loneliness, abomdonment, feeling of not being loved... Ect
Find a good Psycotheripist first. They don't prescribe meds they help you figure out core / root issues. If then you guys decide you have a physical condition that needs meds to be treated have them consult an MD to get you the meds you need. Just my take on the medication part-

Also they have sooo many veteran groups / clubs / get togethers. Join a couple and meet up with guys that relate to you. I'm sure that will be easy to find someone who is into fitness and is a veteran.

Last edited:
If your problems are interfering with your ability to live a normal life and take care of your responsibilities then medication can be a crutch until you've had times to sort out the problems in therapy or (more often) life simply moves on and eventually you begin to get over the problems and you can gradually remove the medication and that's it. It's not a magic pill and nobody will "know you're on happy pills" and there is no shame in it. Before these meds were available, men and women would often have their entire lives fall apart in a downward spiral of misery. The meds in most cases give just enough of a push to get you on your way.

Listen to your doctor and carefully consider some therapy. You have a lot going on there.

I don't have PTSD and have not been in any combat zone. My best friend was in Iraq and did have some serious issues when he got back. His MD recommended the medication route to help. He decided against it and seen a counselor. They got to the ROOT of his issues and did not just treat the side effects of his root issue with drugs. He is a different man now, married, and has a baby on the way, super happy go lucky type guy.

Drugs will only treat your side effects of your root issues. Whether they are loneliness, abomdonment, feeling of not being loved... Ect

Find a good Psycotheripist first. They don't prescribe meds they help you figure out core / root issues. If then you guys decide you have a physical condition that needs meds to be treated have them consult an MD to get you the meds you need. Just my take on the medication part-

Also they have sooo many veteran groups / clubs / get togethers. Join a couple and meet up with guys that relate to you. I'm sure that will be easy to find someone who is into fitness and is a veteran.

Yes thanks! I have attended many of these groups but the main issue that many veterans are either homeless, bums, alcoholics, drug addicts or seriously fucked up. Going to the VA and attending PTSD groups, seeing veterans in real bad shape is really bothersome. Not making excuses but it's not easy and yes, the core issue is a real issue. Many things have happens, past, present, combat, etc the thing w the VA is that they push meds on veterans very fast. They don't force you to take any however, they try to convince you to do so..

If your problems are interfering with your ability to live a normal life and take care of your responsibilities then medication can be a crutch until you've had times to sort out the problems in therapy or (more often) life simply moves on and eventually you begin to get over the problems and you can gradually remove the medication and that's it. It's not a magic pill and nobody will "know you're on happy pills" and there is no shame in it. Before these meds were available, men and women would often have their entire lives fall apart in a downward spiral of misery. The meds in most cases give just enough of a push to get you on your way.

Listen to your doctor and carefully consider some therapy. You have a lot going on there.

Truly thankful for the suggestion..

Truly thankful for the suggestion..
Thank you for your service. Since many of your brothers come home with situations just like yours, in my opinion you are still serving. We have to begin to see our injured and suffering vets as still doing the job.

Thank you for your service. Since many of your brothers come home with situations just like yours, in my opinion you are still serving. We have to begin to see our injured and suffering vets as still doing the job.

Thank you for appreciating me and our veterans for that they do. Which doesn't carry a price tag and our sacrifice is beyond measures that not civilian could ever understand. But thank you!

people who aren't in your shoes will never understand what you're going thru.
me included. but I know quite a few guys who came back from Iraq who did things, saw things, and they still have problems. because they didn't wanna be "weak."
treat the physical with ssri's, ssnri's, Propranolol even, tho that's still being studied as far as I know. steer clear of benzos and other addictive shit. I made that mistake. once.
get the psychotherapy if you can. and the more people you talk to, especially guys in support groups, will help more than u think.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear