over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Herniated disc in cspine

dadocsis

Newbies
Greetings.

So I herniated a disk (c6 c7) about 6 years ago and I am at a point where I am considering surgery. I feel like it has really held me back st making any progress in the gym. I was hoping someone could share the experience getting surgery for a herniated cervical disk. Either fusion or disk replacement. Specifically how it has impacted there training. Thanks

i had something similar in L4 and L5. i actually have almost bone on bone between those two now. i did consider fusion surgery but at the time it happened when i was 23, i was like fuck no and my doctor agreed. i instead opted for a cortisone shot about 4 years ago. that really did help. it reduced the swelling by about 75% and i was able to train almost normal. i just can not do squats or deadlifts anymore, that is the only difference really. i had a second shot done about 6 months ago. it does help alot. i would see if a cortisone shot is an option for you first before considering surgery.

Thanks for your response. I done the chiropractor and pt route each time. It acted up but the relief is only temporary until I aggravate it again and it takes months to feel better. I was hope surgery would be more permanent. I don't want to stop doing any of the main lift s... squats presses deadlifts... the disk replacement looks promising.. I am going to start looking for a Dr for consultation

try to find a neurologist/physiatrist who also specializes in pain management. that is who i went to. he recommended giving the cortisone shots before attempting surgery. that might help you to avoid surgery.

i had something similar in L4 and L5. i actually have almost bone on bone between those two now. i did consider fusion surgery but at the time it happened when i was 23, i was like fuck no and my doctor agreed. i instead opted for a cortisone shot about 4 years ago. that really did help. it reduced the swelling by about 75% and i was able to train almost normal. i just can not do squats or deadlifts anymore, that is the only difference really. i had a second shot done about 6 months ago. it does help alot. i would see if a cortisone shot is an option for you first before considering surgery.

Absolutely! Cortisone shots are the way to go!! I have been in excruciating pain with not being able to reach over my shoulder for weeks and immediately after getting the shot I was 100%. I had it done twice and both times worked miracles!!

Inversion table for flair-ups. Work your way up to 15 minutes in the am and after work or whatever. My back got so bad I was bedridden and had to ask my wife to help me to/from toilet. Haven't had too much trouble since getting the table for a Christmas gift. When I feel it acting up I stretch my legs and calves real good and hang upside down a while...

Well... I am going under the knife tomorrow. Will be doing a hybrid. One level fusion and the other a artificial disc replacement.

Forgot to mention I actually have 2 herniated discs. C4c5 and c5 c6. Confirmed w mri

Forgot to mention I actually have 2 herniated discs. C4c5 and c5 c6. Confirmed w mri

Buddy I just had 3 level cervical discectomy and fusion on the 22nd of Jan so to early to tell how well it will workout but I had went through everything so was out of options, everyone has been telling me just do what the doc says and you should be fine. Now as far as future workouts will just have to see what you are now able to do safely

How do you feel? I know its early but do you feel like you can do any kind of activity? Walking. Air squats, machines? This will be the hardest for me .. stopping myself from trying to do some kind of work out. I have been lifting sine 17 and the most I have ever taken off is a month. Also are you going to run anything to speed fusion hh Peps etc?

How do you feel? I know its early but do you feel like you can do any kind of activity? Walking. Air squats, machines? This will be the hardest for me .. stopping myself from trying to do some kind of work out. I have been lifting sine 17 and the most I have ever taken off is a month. Also are you going to run anything to speed fusion hh Peps etc?

Just walking right now but for the 1st 2 weeks I was suppose to walk 1/2 mile a day I am already walking a mile at week 2, plan to be up to a mile and 1/2 by next week. Then depending on how things go I was going to start with some band work cause the direction I got when I left the hospital was no lifting anything more than 10lbs and no overhead lifting at all, so I am not just going to go all crazy cause it takes time for everything to fuse together. As for running anything not yet I have some other test coming up for other issues so want to make sure everything comes back in range.

To honest at the moment the medical bills are already adding up so I will not be running anything will soon as much as I want to

So everything thing seemed to go well. I'm in very little pain. And the tingles I used to get in my left arm seem to be gone. The only weird thing is my right trap and shoulder feels numb. No muscle weakness just the numb t I the touch. This is a new symptom. Hopefully it is not an indicator of sometime bad. Other then that I'm feeling good.

Great news!

Keep us updated?

Inversion table for flair-ups. Work your way up to 15 minutes in the am and after work or whatever. My back got so bad I was bedridden and had to ask my wife to help me to/from toilet. Haven't had too much trouble since getting the table for a Christmas gift. When I feel it acting up I stretch my legs and calves real good and hang upside down a while...

great suggestion. forgot about this. it really does work.

Just a quick update... Back in gym. Also been doing PT 3 days a week. Now when I say back in the gym I'm at a very limited capacity. Just doing low impact static type movement s light weight high reps.
Neck is tender sometimes hard to get in a comfortable position to fall asleep. The numbness is pretty much gone in shoulder. Original symptoms are still gone and all pain has pretty much subside. I also feel my neck is in a better position. Prior to surgery I was losing lordosis in my neck (head forward). It feels and looks more set back.

I'm am glad to hear you are recovering. That PT is a challenge but it works as long as you follow their instructions. Keep at it brother!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws