over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Alimony Question

Registered
I got divorced four years ago. Our divorce/separation agreement states the following terms:

1. I must pay my ex-wife $1000/month.

2. I must pay for my ex-wife's apartment rent and utilites each month.

3. I must pay for my ex-wife's school tuition.

4. I must pay for my ex-wife's car payments (I had to buy her a new car as stipulated in the divorce/separation agreement) and car insurance.

#1-3 are all dependent on her being a full-time student in college.

For the past four years I have been reporting all the above payments to the IRS each year on my tax return. This includes the cash payments directly to her as well as all the "third party" payments above (rent, utilities, school tuition, car loan, car insurance).

She has only been reporting the $1000 she receives each month as alimony on her tax return ($12,000 annually).

Can anyone with insight tell me who is correct in regards to reporting alimony as taxable income/deduction? Also, she stopped going to school full time last year. Should I just outright stop making my alimony payments to her as stipulated in our divorce/separation agreement?

Not sure about the tax stuff. But no don't just stop payment. File a motion. You can do this yourself or have a lawyer do it. Sounds like you really got a raw deal. Alimony itself should have been sufficient. That stuff is infuriating. My ex was trading pics and having a online affair. Not sure if the real thing was going on. So filed for divorce and ended up having to pay her 700, I think, in alimony. She messed up with not following court orders so it didn't last long at least.

how much does she have to pay you?

talk to a lawyer about it.

I think it's such uter bullshit how the males always get fucked sideways in divorces.

Hire an attorney.

ps...sounds like she took you to the cleaner, a rough estimate of 3k per month with all the stiff you rattled off! That's insane. :eek:

And people wonder why theres murder for hire plots. Just reading that literally infuriates me with blood in my eyes. I can't even fathom. Ill go to jail over supporting some bullshit like that.

How much do you make annually? That seems astronomical. I paid my ex 5k to just get out of my life.

You got screwed.

Don't do anything before talking to a lawyer.

Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.
Hire a good lawyer.

Also, don't forget to get yourself an attorney.

Now that's scary, why do men get screwed over so hard for Alimony isn't there something they can do ????? Can you sign an agreement before you get married stating that if you divorce you will not have to pay her a dime ???? You just split ways and that's it , maybe unless of course there is a child than of course child support I can partially understand.

Now that's scary, why do men get screwed over so hard for Alimony isn't there something they can do ????? Can you sign an agreement before you get married stating that if you divorce you will not have to pay her a dime ???? You just split ways and that's it , maybe unless of course there is a child than of course child support I can partially understand.

marriage is a legal contract in which the man transfers his wealth to the woman.

every man ive known who has gotten divorced has lost everything.

marriage is a joke these days.

WTF?!? I understand why so many men stay in loveless, sexless, crappy marriages. Getting divorced ruins men financially.

Speak to a lawyer and your accountant. No one here can give you more dependable information especially depending on where you live etc...

On a side note, this is why I don't get married. No government is going to tell me what to do with my already over-taxed money.

WTF?!? I understand why so many men stay in loveless, sexless, crappy marriages. Getting divorced ruins men financially.

The key is to spend all your cash on shit before getting divorced. Or perhaps "invest it" wisely....wink wink. :D that way there is nothing for that greedy skank to get

I got divorced four years ago. Our divorce/separation agreement states the following terms:

1. I must pay my ex-wife $1000/month.

2. I must pay for my ex-wife's apartment rent and utilites each month.

3. I must pay for my ex-wife's school tuition.

4. I must pay for my ex-wife's car payments (I had to buy her a new car as stipulated in the divorce/separation agreement) and car insurance.

#1-3 are all dependent on her being a full-time student in college.

For the past four years I have been reporting all the above payments to the IRS each year on my tax return. This includes the cash payments directly to her as well as all the "third party" payments above (rent, utilities, school tuition, car loan, car insurance).

She has only been reporting the $1000 she receives each month as alimony on her tax return ($12,000 annually).

Can anyone with insight tell me who is correct in regards to reporting alimony as taxable income/deduction? Also, she stopped going to school full time last year. Should I just outright stop making my alimony payments to her as stipulated in our divorce/separation agreement?

If the divorce agreement stipulates that these payments are for maintenance/alimony, then you are entitled to an above the line deduction for these amounts, regardless of what she is claiming. While the mismatch of income and deduction would be a potential red flag to the IRS and state/local tax authority, she would likely have under reported income.

If the agreement stipulates that some of these payments are conditional upon her going to school, you should stop paying for several reasons but from an income tax perspective these could be viewed as gifts rather than alimony which is not deductible.

marriage is a legal contract in which the man transfers his wealth to the woman.

Marriage isn't a joke...the legal system around it is!

Everyone should check out the documentary Divorce Corp...be sure to watch the trailer... Home | Divorce Corp

Hire a good attorney.
Speak to a knowledgeable CPA.

In my divorce papers it actually specified who got to declare/claim what for tax purposes.
She got to claim child as dependent, I got to claim house mortgage interest, etc.

Hey, it can work the other way too if the woman is the bread winner. Equal rights ya know?!

Man! It sounds like you got the funkens!

I don't have much, if anything to offer.

I wouldn't stop paying without a court order. I would ask tho. Is she cohabitating with a new partner? If so, this may be a finalization to your alimony. Or so I would believe?

I would definitely hire an attorney for this! Good luck.

How much do you make annually? That seems astronomical. I paid my ex 5k to just get out of my life.

That seems the way to go. One of my best friends did just that, made one big payment to her at the time of the divorce and then he was done with her for good. He gave her: his car, the house, and paid off a credit card she had run up. Within a few years she declared bankruptcy and lost the house.

Hire a good attorney.

Speak to a knowledgeable CPA.

In my divorce papers it actually specified who got to declare/claim what for tax purposes.

She got to claim child as dependent, I got to claim house mortgage interest, etc.

Correct that the only time, generally, that one couldn't claim the deduction is to the extent the agreement provides for that.

It's pretty clear if you look up IRC Secs 71 and 215 for alimony income and deduction, respectively.

Have a CPA read your agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member