over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts after attending my first show

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Attended my first show today. Some thoughts:

Being confident on stage, owning your physique, and doing it with some swagger is a big part of this sport. A lot of these competitors look extremely awkward, not at all comfortable or confident in their body, and their posing is robotic and/or inhuman. Most of the guys can't even keep their balance on stage. The body doesn't look athletic, attractive, aesthetic, or really at all desirable. It kind of just makes you feel sorry for the guys. Honestly they look a bit pathetic. But on the flip side, a guy who controls his body effortlessly, smoothly, confidently, like a normal human being, can just take your breath away if his physique is good. Choice of posing music also seems to be a big part. Personally it seems like a solid but not cheesy R and B song, or some hard hitting Gangster Rap or Heavy Metal are the two best options. The cheesy stuff or the Katy Perry electronic music just doesn't really work IMO. And one another thing, is the importance of showing your strengths. One guy today had massive quads, but he spent nearly his entire routine down in near splits, and never once showed them off. He did win his class, but he would have been more impressive on stage if he emphasized his strength. Lastly, again, stage presence, being confident but not cheesy, and knowing how to pose is so important. You don't need to lean way forward, lean way back, put your body at strange angles, bend your legs like a chicken, etc. If you've got the muscle it's going to show. Just flex it. And hold the pose for a few seconds!!!

Last edited:
Well put. I have been to shows where dudes look like they never flexed in the mirror before and seem robotic and un-natural. The people who keep good posture and have fun showing off their physique despite their conditioning win the crowd over and allow the audience to relax and have fun.

Lastly, again, stage presence, being confident but not cheesy, and knowing how to pose is so important.

This....probably the most overlooked thing.... Showing the judges what they want to see..... knowing how to show your strengths.... hide your weaknesses... also some people just have it... they own the stage ... then some look like deer in headlights.... its far from who just has the best physique...

I agree with everything that was said but a lot is decided in the pre-judging which most don't attend. Not to say that an improvement don't count from the pre-judging to the night show and winning posing certainly counts! You would think all of this is common knowledge but after many decades of bodybuilding shows, people still show up unprepared.

There is always talk of the 90s as the golden era, and yes, it was mainly for the reasons you mention in this post. They were professionals with their presentation, charisme, energy, confidence, with right oil and tan. Today we see many professionals who make mistakes that were previously unthinkable.

I have found that you can usually tell who is at the top if not the winner at the morning show. If someone can hit the mandatory poses well that is what is most important. The night show it more for show and to sell tickets to the family and friends and make money. The stark lighting at the morning show really lets you see more of what someone looks like.

for NPC level shows posing doesn’t make a difference. I’ve seen the worst posers win their class. It’s very sad and disappointing.. idk where they get these judges from. rewarding bad posing or upper bodies with no separation in the legs..

I swear IG unqualified judges can judge better than these NPC judges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To your point I think one of the great things about Ronnie was his confidence on stage posing for example 05 during his routine he was talking and walking around and just exuded that confidence that he was the winner of this show with every move he made.

I agree with everything that was said but a lot is decided in the pre-judging which most don't attend. Not to say that an improvement don't count from the pre-judging to the night show and winning posing certainly counts! You would think all of this is common knowledge but after many decades of bodybuilding shows, people still show up unprepared.

This 100%.

In regional/local level BBing shows, the judges KNOW who their top 3 is within the first 5 minutes. The quarter turns and mandatories and you're done. They already have their winners. The posing honestly doesn't matter much unless you've spilled or fucked up your food in-between prejudging and the night show (I've done this before).

The OP's argument for posing matters more on Pro Stage more than anything.
And this isn't speculation, this is from judges mouths.

You know I wasn't there for prejudging and I didn't talk to any judges but from where i was sitting the overall could have went to a guy that was much larger than the eventual winner but whose physique looked very awkward because of his posing ... For example, he thought doing a vacuum in all his poses was good, but the proportions of his rib cage and upper body to his abdominals made the vacuum a very bad choice.. he would have looked better if he kept his ab wall crunched tight... And in the classic physique division, i thought the second place finisher was better developed, but the winner had a really great posing routine that made his physique enjoyable to look at... Perhaps I was wrong in thinking his placing was determined by that... Or maybe his posing during prejudging was superior as well...

You know I wasn't there for prejudging and I didn't talk to any judges but from where i was sitting the overall could have went to a guy that was much larger than the eventual winner but whose physique looked very awkward because of his posing ... For example, he thought doing a vacuum in all his poses was good, but the proportions of his rib cage and upper body to his abdominals made the vacuum a very bad choice.. he would have looked better if he kept his ab wall crunched tight... And in the classic physique division, i thought the second place finisher was better developed, but the winner had a really great posing routine that made his physique enjoyable to look at... Perhaps I was wrong in thinking his placing was determined by that... Or maybe his posing during prejudging was superior as well...

Don't forget the politics of bodybuilding!

Don't forget the politics of bodybuilding!

Between the politics. And the judges opinion of what looksgood, my favorite for first place often ends up lower. That is what happens with a subjective sport.

This 100%.

In regional/local level BBing shows, the judges KNOW who their top 3 is within the first 5 minutes. The quarter turns and mandatories and you're done. They already have their winners. The posing honestly doesn't matter much unless you've spilled or fucked up your food in-between prejudging and the night show (I've done this before).

The OP's argument for posing matters more on Pro Stage more than anything.
And this isn't speculation, this is from judges mouths.
This is very true.it happened to me but in my favor.the guy had me in the prejudging. I/we don't know what the hell he did between that and the night show .but he definitely spilled over.and I took the win from him.

Even one of the judges told me at the end of the night. He had you in the morning but he spilled and you tightened up more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisaac062224
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner