over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Turmeric Studies - Inflammation and Arthritis

Viking55

Registered
Aloha kakahiaka,

Great article. Using it orally and inject.

Do Turmeric Supplements Help Arthritis?
Turmeric May Reduce Inflammation

By Carol Eustice
Arthritis & Joint Conditions Expert

Updated September 01, 2015.

Written or reviewed by a board-certified physician. See About.com's Medical Review Board.

It's not uncommon for people with arthritis to want to try a dietary supplement as an alternative treatment or as part of their treatment regimen. But which one? There are several supplements which claim to have beneficial effects. Turmeric is one of the supplements which may potentially help to manage arthritis symptoms.

What Is Turmeric?

Turmeric (Curcuma longa, Curcuma domestica) is a 5 to 6 foot tall perennial shrub, primarily found in India and Indonesia, as well as other tropical regions.

Turmeric, which is bitter to taste, belongs to the ginger family. The roots are dried to a yellow powder so that it can be used in foods, fabric dye, and for medicinal purposes. Among the medicinal purposes, it is believed that turmeric (active ingredient curcumin) has anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for inflammatory conditions.

Studies Suggest Anti-Inflammatory Effect

In study results published in the November 2006 issue of Arthritis & Rheumatism, researchers who had previously demonstrated that turmeric can prevent joint inflammation in rats, expanded their study in an effort to determine the effect and mechanism of turmeric on arthritis. They started by comparing the composition of a turmeric extract they had prepared to commercially available turmeric dietary supplements, adjusted the dosage, and administered it intraperitoneally to female rats. Results revealed that a turmeric fraction depleted of essential oils inhibited joint inflammation and periarticular joint destruction.

Local activation of NF-kappaB and expression of NF-kappaB-regulated genes (chemokines, cyclooxygenase-2, and RANKL) that mediate joint inflammation and destruction was prevented. It was also revealed that the extract blocked the pathway that bone resorption related to bone loss. Researchers concluded that the findings supported further research to assess turmeric dietary supplements as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. Another research article published in the January-February 2013 issue of Biofactors also described how curcumin affects inflammation by the down-regulation of inflammatory transcription factors, cytokines, redox status, protein kinases, and enzymes -- all of which promote inflammation.

What about turmeric for osteoarthritis? A study published in 2009 in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine compared 2 grams turmeric daily to 800 mg. ibuprofen daily for 6 weeks in study participants with primary knee osteoarthritis. Results showed that both the turmeric group and the ibuprofen group had improved pain levels when walking and climbing stairs. But, those taking turmeric had greater improvement with pain levels when climbing stairs than the the ibuprofen group. Side effects were similar, with heartburn and dizziness being the most commonly reported. Interestingly, study participants taking ibuprofen were more compliant with the treatment than those taking turmeric.

Is Turmeric Safe?

According to Arthritis Research UK, human clinical trials have not found turmeric to be toxic or unsafe when daily doses between 1-10 grams a day were used. But, there is a note of caution offered. High doses of turmeric can have a blood thinner effect. In laboratory studies, turmeric increased the effects of anticoagulants or anti-platelet drugs. The effect on anti-platelet drugs in humans is not known, however. Turmeric can cause stomach upset. The supplement should be avoided in patients with gallstones or by those who take blood thinners.

Sources:

Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis. Funk JL et al. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2006 Nov;54(11):3452-64.
Efficacy and mechanism of action of turmeric supplements in the treatment of experimental arthritis. - PubMed - NCBI

Curcumin in inflammatory diseases. Shehzad A. et al. Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):69-77.
Curcumin in inflammatory diseases. - PubMed - NCBI

Efficacy and safety of Curcuma domestica extracts in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Kuptniratsaikul V et al. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2009; 15(8):891-97.

Turmeric. Arthritis Research UK. Accessed 8/28/2015.
**broken link removed**

Turmeric. Supplement and Vitamin and Mineral Guide. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. Arthritis Foundation. Thirteenth edition. p.695-696.

I use to take 3G turmeric daily for inflamation and I definitely prefered it over pharmaceutical options.

Hawaiiam Lk3s Inj Circumin works wonders on those issues.

Ak

LK3

Aloha Akamai,

Been doing the inject from LK3 in conjunction with the oral form. Have to make sure to take Bioperine with the oral form for increased uptake.

Malama pono a hui ho,
V

Aloha Akamai,

Been doing the inject from LK3 in conjunction with the oral form. Have to make sure to take Bioperine with the oral form for increased uptake.

Malama pono a hui ho,
V
Komo mai e noho
Tune me up on that A little Brotha Vike
I am Useing 720 4X daily and have seen a significant dif.

Been using for years

I've always used Turmeric, even as far as taking it straight from an Organic spice jar and mixing it with Honey for quicker entry. 1tsp = 400mgs. After surgery I used it in a pill form by New Chapter taking 400mgs 3 X a day. It Works! If you have allergies and your nose gets inflamed it works great from bring that tissue down. It safe to no non habit forming.

There is a natural formula for pain and inflammation called Relief Factor. One of the main ingredients is Tumeric. 667mg twice a day. make sure it is standardised to at least 20% curcuminoids

Agree! Turmeric contains the anti-inflammatory property that is excellent at alleviating inflammation, swelling as well as pain. It is very effective especially against chronic and acute bursitis or arthritis!

I remember my mom usually makes turmeric milk for my dad to treat arthritis ( follow the recommend from this article https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-bursitis/ ), but be honest, it tastes awful to drink >_<

Last edited:
My doc mentioned supplementing with this. I will try it after reading about it. Thanks for the info

If you have allergies and your nose gets inflamed it works great from bring that tissue down. It safe to no non habit forming.

I did not know this, my allergies have my sinuses so flared up right now, just took some turmeric about 30 min ago and my nose/forehead/sinus areas are completely feeling so much better!

Been using turmeric for a long time now. The stuff undoubtedly works. Great for my joint pain. I also give it to my grandma who has degenerative arthritis and it helps her tremendously, even brings down the swelling from the inflammation. In fact, on one particular day, her foot was so swollen that she couldn't hardly walk on it and had to wear this boot thing to support her, well i gave her 600mg(std. to 95% Curcominoids 570mg) and within the hour she was able to take that boot off and was walking almost normal.

Last edited:
I got nothing from oral personally but transdermal and IM have worked wonders on some chronic nagging injuries/pain.

Anyone tried liposomal curc? I tried the inj and it was nice but pinning is not for me. Thinking liposomal has got to be the next closest step.

Anyone tried liposomal curc? I tried the inj and it was nice but pinning is not for me. Thinking liposomal has got to be the next closest step.
Why is pinning not for you if I may ask? I've been looking all over for inj. curc., do you mind if I ask where you got it from, or if you made it yourself? cant seem to find anyone selling it

I got it from veteran supplies which has now gone private.

I just don't like injecting. The act & pip and all that.
When you got up in dosages though the combined with the res I did feel like myself for awhile.

For a lot of it though there was also res flu and shit like that so very little sunshine for the pain & inconvenience involved.

My sister in law swears by it taking the raw form. I’ve got an already arthritic
Shoulder and I’m ready to give it a try as well.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131