over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat... and Do What You Will

RazorCuts

Registered
Squat... and Do What You Will
CS Sloan

Saint Augustine once uttered the phrase “love, and do what you will.” The blessed Augustine was basically saying that as long as you do everything out of love – love for others, love for God – then whatever else you do will be correct.
I happen to think the same thing about squatting. As long as you are squatting – if not at every workout, then at least on a very regular basis – then you can do what you will with the rest of your workout. In fact, I think squatting is the foundation of all successful training. (Okay, I suppose you can get good results without squatting – especially if you’re doing plenty of Olympic lifting or deadlifting – but squatting is a sure fire way to get great results all the time.) For instance, if you do the following five things, I can guarantee you will get great results[1]

1. Squat a lot
2. Train with volume
3. Train frequently
4. Get plenty of rest when not training
5. Eat a lot of food

If you don’t believe me, then try any of the following squatting and training options, depending on your goals:
If you want to have the most massive muscles possible (for your genetics) and you don’t care that much about whether your muscles are actually functional, then I suggest you train 3 to 4 days per week. Squat at the beginning of each session, then pick a bodypart to train. Day one could be squats, chest, and shoulders. Day two could be squats, biceps, and triceps. Day three could be squats and back. And day four could be squats, hamstrings, calves, and abdominals. You don’t have to go “crazy” on the squats; just use about 60-70% of your one-rep maximum on each day.
If you are interested in being massive and being strong, then train 3 to 5 days per week. On one day, squat and do some overhead pressing work. On another day, squat and carry or drag heavy stuff (farmer’s walks, sled drags, etc.). On another day, squat and then do some heavy bench pressing (barbell or dumbbell) followed by chins. And on another day, squat and then do various pulls (deadlifts, snatches, cleans, etc.). Train every other day, or train for a couple days in a row before taking a day off.
And if you are interested in being a massive powerlifter, then train 3 days per week, squat at each session, and then add bench presses one day, and deadlifts the next.
Getting massive and/or strong isn’t that complicated. It just requires plenty of hard work, and lots of squatting.

If I followed such a routine my legs would break down and become injured, you can do this if you have a lifestyle that has you sitting down all day-but work a job or 2 where your constantly on your feet, throw in cardio, deads, and ham workouts and your legs get good amounts of continuous stress during the week, Im having trouble with leg recovery as it is a routine like this would wreck me.

If I followed such a routine my legs would break down and become injured, you can do this if you have a lifestyle that has you sitting down all day-but work a job or 2 where your constantly on your feet, throw in cardio, deads, and ham workouts and your legs get good amounts of continuous stress during the week, Im having trouble with leg recovery as it is a routine like this would wreck me.

Yep i agree. I usually do legs twice per week. And that to me is plenty as recovery time for legs is a killer for me. Not to mention my knees aren't the best either

Has anyone ever seen a tree with a iddy-biddy trunk and a thick top?Didn't think so.

If you don't squat, you aint doin squat.

Legs are the foundation of the body. Squats are the foundation of power.

Has anyone ever seen a tree with a iddy-biddy trunk and a thick top?Didn't think so.

If you don't squat, you aint doin squat.

This has been known for years. What about the dead lift?

Its alright to be little bitty...jk lol

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

started squatting 2x a week recently.. legs/glutes have gotten noticeable larger and strength is increasing

foam rolling and stretching have been very helpful in recovering between workouts... dont think ill squat more than 2x a week tho ;)

The old 5x5 workout, you squat 3 times a week. for me, when I do the 5x5 on a consistent schedule, I feel stronger and bigger. I think the dead lift is #2 to the squat, just my opinion..

Also doing twice a week an im gonna try an throw in a 3rd, but im a long way off from 5....i noticed reaaly nice strength gains after stepping it up to two...im hoping ill get the same out of three days a week....

I know several powerlifters that squat up to 5 days a week, and they once they started training there legs that often, there max squat went up big time. I have yet to try this as always sore when only squaring twice a week, lol...

Might be good to have a heavy and light day and alternate them back and forth, this may help on recovery and of course not going all out on the squats regularly.

My legs (and my squat numbers) blew up when I switched from squatting once a week to 3x. Flexibility, mobility and form on the squat are the best they've ever been. It does seem that my other lifts are rising better as well

Last edited:
I've been working out for about 2 years now and I have been doing a lot of reading on squats such as the proper technique. I agree 100% that is the best exercise however a lot of people do them wrong and mess up their backs. Some people just have posture issues and cannot properly place their hands on the bar and position their elbows.

I found this link and the information is very valuable to a beginner like me: Squat 101 | Arnold Schwarzenegger

My workout buddy wants to do isolation exercises like bicep curls and flys etc. and I keep telling him that we have to get our lifts up on the compound movements as much as possible before getting into these muscle specific exercises. I'd rather do 5 x 5 workout and gain strength/muscle and then do toning workouts.

I started squatting 3 days a week and so great growth in calves, quads and glutes.

I rotate every week with 2 days squatting and one deadlifting, then back to squatting once a week and two days of deadlifting.

I think there are variables that are left out.

The most I can squat is 2x in a 7 day period (4 day on 1 off routine). If I do it more than that, I'd over-train very fast. Especially being over 40, my body doesn't recover like it used to.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws