over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

THE FASTED MORNING CARDIO FOR FAT LOSS MYTH

Geardepot

Guaranteed Sponsor
Registered
Sponsors
People believe that training without eating means less readily available energy to use for fuel, which will lead to the breakdown of energy reserves (fat and glycogen) to power the session. Theoretically this will lead to more fat loss. In fact, some studies have found that you mobilize more stored fat when doing fasted exercise. But that's not the whole story. Losing fat is not about what happens during the session, but rather what happens in response to the workout over the course of the day. What happens to your resting energy expenditure for the next 24 hours following your session? What will be the hormonal milieu caused by the session? And what will be its impact on muscle mass?
What happens during the session? Proponents of fasted training will claim that since adrenalin/noradrenalin increases more during fasted training you'll have more energy to train. In reality it's pretty well established that when you're in a fasted state (especially if that state has been going on for a while) your capacity to do work decreases as well a mental tolerance for physical work. This will result in less effective training sessions.
What happens to your resting energy expenditure?
A study by Paoli et al. (2011) compared doing 36 minutes of cardio at 65% of maximum heart rate in a fasted or non-fasted state. During the session the analysis of the respiratory exchange ratio (RER) found that more fat was used for fuel in the fasted state, BUT the opposite happened after the session. In fact, fat utilization was significantly higher in the non-fasted group for up to 24 hours after!
When fasted, the subjects burned a little bit more fat during the 36 minutes of the workout, but they burned less for the 24 hours after. The end result is that more fat was utilized over a 24 hours period when the cardio session was NOT done fasted. This was confirmed by the fact that oxygen consumption stayed higher over a 24 hour period in the non-fasted group (more oxygen consumption means burning more fat since oxygen fuels the aerobic energy pathway which relies on fat).
Here's the study's conclusion: "When moderate endurance activity is done to lose fat, fasting before exercise does not enhance lipid utilization; rather, physical activity after a light meal is advisable."
What about the hormonal response?
Lifters know cortisol for its catabolic affect on muscle tissue. We fear it because it can break down muscle so that it can be used for fuel, thus making it harder to build muscle when cortisol is high. But cortisol actually serves a useful function when training: it mobilizes stored energy.
When you train, cortisol is responsible for making energy available. The more you have to rely on stored energy (muscle glycogen or body fat) for fuel, the more cortisol you'll release. The more cortisol you release, the longer it'll take for it to return to normal levels after the workout. As long as cortisol is elevated, your body is in a catabolic state. So if you produce too much cortisol during your session – which is likely to happen when you're doing fasted cardio – your risk of losing muscle mass is much greater and building it will obviously be much harder.
There's also the fact that fasted cardio will increase AMPK more than non-fasted cardio. When AMPK is high, it has a negative impact on protein synthesis. So by doing fasted cardio you make it harder to build muscle.
GD

this is interesting, I'd want to see more studies on this because it goes against most science out there on fasted cardio and glycogen storage.

I believe it. Just went through my first contest prep and started a 10-week prep already very lean 6.5% BF. My coach threw me a diet that was proabably already on his computer and he probably didn't tweak it enough for my personal circumstance (coming into a prep already very lean), threw me into a deficit designed for somebody at 13% starting a 12 week prep. Programmed a ton of cardio. Post-show all the gym bros at my gym told me I cut down too hard and asked me what happened and they implied I did not look my best.

A pro at my gym who was not my coach was whispering in my ear that I was doing too much cardio (including fasted AM cardio 5x a week) and that I was going to burn through muscle. My transformation was dramatic but not in a positive way. Too much cortisol from the AM cardio and a deficit designed for a person who should have a much higher BF % heading into prep.

Didn't know what to do. Listen to the pro who is not my coach or listen to my coach. I chose the latter with high confidence I wasn't making the correct decision but didn't know what to do.

that training without eating means less readily available energy to use for fuel, which will lead to the breakdown of energy reserves (fat and glycogen) to power the session. Theoretically this will lead to more fat loss. In fact, some studies have found that you mobilize more stored fat when doing fasted exercise. But that's not the whole story. Losing fat is not about what happens during the session, but rather what happens in response to the workout over the course of the day. What happens to your resting energy expenditure for the next 24 hours following your session? What will be the hormonal milieu caused by the session? And what will be its impact on muscle mass?
What happens during the session? Proponents of fasted training will claim that since adre
This is probably valid if you're not enhanced however it probably is not useful to an enhanced individual

i never studied this in depth, it seems it's quite controversial whether you can manipulate meal timing, fasting to cause the body use body fat over carbohydrates so i can't comment on whether it makes a difference for natural bodybuilders

but it's well known that injecting GH before cardio causes you to burn fat > carbohydrates

also can you post the study? I am curious to see whether both groups were in a calorie deficit the whole time of the study, if not then that would leave the question whether they just ate too many calories after cardio which negated it's effects on fat loss

I like fasting cardio but I hate getting up early, especially if you're in DNP, it's like a truck hits you. :mad:

I have found that cardio at another time of the day feels more energetic than fasting, which means you can make it stronger, but I guess it is because you have eaten.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws