over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

If you have exp with serious disc probs GTFIH

Smartpart

Newbies
I am 20 yrs old and coming up on a year of back pain. I have a torn disc confirmed by an mri. It started hurting last summer, and it finally had me out of the gym in October. I tried physical therapy, the chiro, lots of otc and rx anti inflammatories, but nothing fixed it. I have an extra vertebrae(my doc says its not sure if it wants to be its own or be a part of the sacrum) so different drs have called it a different number. but my doc is calling it l4-l5. I had a cortisone shot that did next to nothing in the two weeks after up until my follow up, but after my checkup, I think it might be doing some good because something is. They referred me for a discogram and ct scan which confirmed the problem and qualified me for surgery. The dye wasn't leaking in the ct so I also qualify for an IDET. I do think the shot has done some good, but far from cure it. I went to the gym for the first time in months this week, but the weights I was lifting were super light. It did well, but like I said it's far from fixed. The doc says my plan of action is another epidural, try and idet, then disc replacement. Before the shot kicked in, I thought I was going to have back surgery at 20 yrs old, but now I'm trying to do my best not to. My doc said its up to pain level now, and I have to draw the line between laying off of it when it hurts, and getting surgery done so it is fixed and won't hurt(or thats the goal of surgery.) If anyone has battled serious medically confirmed problems similar to mine, shoot me some advice on how to go about it and/or how it turned out for you.

Thanks guys!

Hey dude,

I am a chiro (having some fish and rice and on my lunch break as we speak!).

What you have is a lumbosacral transitional segment. They are fairly common - I have one and I can lift as much as I want with no issues at all - so there is hope!!

What I would say is give it some time. The body is great at healing and the shot you had will start the process. The doc is right in that you just need to monitor pain levels and hopefully within time it will heal.

My education tells me that the spine will reach maturity somewhere between 18 and 21 years old, so my guess is that when this happens your problem will stabilise, and fully heal, and hopefully like me you will lead a normal life.

Keep me posted and feel free to ask as many questions as you like (I'm in a good mood;))

I agree--give it time. Lower backs and disks heal somewhat on their own if you let them. Stop doing the aggravating activities for 6 months. That said, if you have disk problems, you should probably avoid heavy compression on your spine indefinitely. Learn to be more creative with exercise choice. For example, belt squats instead of barbell squats, etc.

Hey dude,

I am a chiro (having some fish and rice and on my lunch break as we speak!).

What you have is a lumbosacral transitional segment. They are fairly common - I have one and I can lift as much as I want with no issues at all - so there is hope!!

What I would say is give it some time. The body is great at healing and the shot you had will start the process. The doc is right in that you just need to monitor pain levels and hopefully within time it will heal.

My education tells me that the spine will reach maturity somewhere between 18 and 21 years old, so my guess is that when this happens your problem will stabilise, and fully heal, and hopefully like me you will lead a normal life.

Keep me posted and feel free to ask as many questions as you like (I'm in a good mood;))

google "Mckenzie extension exercises" they are designed for lower back and disc problems.

Thanks for the input. I've actually been off of lifting except for once this week for 8 months now.

If you have access to a pool I highly recommend water aerobics or even just waking in the pool. It gets the blood flowing which helps things heal but takes the pressure off the spine.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131