over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How frequently do you deadlift?

How often do you deadlift?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xelflex

Banned
I want to push my weight up in deadlifting, but contradicting information on the Internet and books I've read, leave me confused with the frequency I should do this exercise to make steady progress.
Once a week?
Twice a week?
Every Day?
Every other Day?
Once every 8-10days?

I'm not an elite powerflifter...

but I've made the best progress doing it like every other back workout, which amounts to once every 10-14 days.

You can easily over train the deadlift. If your grip, lower back, legs, lats, etc are too fatigued, you can't lift maximum weight.

Once every 10-14 days usually. I also go heavy every single time. Usually I'm the 3-6 rep range...every now and then ill do something like 455x10 or whatever for a higher rep set

not as much as I should but my workouts are getting more random lately.

I never pull from the floor but I rotate rack pulls in and out of my training once in a while.

1x per week, 2nd to last lifting day before my day off so I get enough rest in between. Rep range of 6 and if I cant get 6 I stop unless I'm trying to max

Recently started doing them twice a week. Quickly adding back thickness. I may switch to rack pulls 1 day a week. The day following my leg day. low rep scheme. 5,4,3 and sometimes a single.

Don't take this as gospel, but I seem to recall reading an article by an elite powerlifter (I think Ed Coan) saying that the deadlift is best once trained every 2 weeks.

Ed, or whoever wrote that article, was saying that when you train the deadlift, you actually do more harm than good in the short-term. It is so taxing to the body, you can easily overtrain by doing it too often. (This only applies if you're truly working hard on it, and using maximal weights)

He would do it every 10-14 days, just to practice the lift, and get his body used to the movement. He felt that the best way to improve the deadift was to train accessory muscles, and build them up..... hamstrings, quads, abs, lower back, grip strength, traps, lats, etc.

Last edited:
Don't take this as gospel, but I seem to recall reading an article by an elite powerlifter (I think Ed Coan) saying that the deadlift is best once trained every 2 weeks.

Ed, or whoever wrote that article, was saying that when you train the deadlift, you actually do more harm than good in the short-term. It is so taxing to the body, you can easily overtrain by doing it too often. (This only applies if you're truly working hard on it, and using maximal weights)

He would do it every 10-14 days, just to practice the lift, and get his body used to the movement. He felt that the best way to improve the deadift was to train accessory muscles, and build them up..... hamstrings, quads, abs, lower back, grip strength, traps, lats, etc.

I gotta agree with this. If you're trying to up your deadlift, do heavy rows, rack pulls, hamstring work, etc. It's counter-productive to DL too often if you are going heavy weight, high intensity. DL takes longer to recover for me than anything else I do. I can squat twice weekly and be fine, but deadlifting weekly burns me out.

Every other back workout

Every 10 days I would deadlift from the floor 5x5. After the floor, rack work with the pins set 2" below the knees 3x3 then 2" above the knees 3x3. there is no way you could do this type of workout any sooner then 10 days. This will send your DL through the roof. I pulled 705 at the teenage nationals 30yrs ago using this Dl routine.

I've been having really good luck with the coan routine. Its once a week. So I train squats on Monday bench on Wed and deads on Friday. You have to EAT when you train like this. Maybe more so than when bodybuilding. My strength fades fast if my nutrition is not up to par.

Now for the routine, you can find the calculator online or you can kind of wing it and increase weight as you feel able to. You never want to miss a lift in training though so keep it a little conservative.

You are going to warm up and then do 2 work sets that are a heavy 5 for you. Every week you try to do 10 to 20lbs more. Keep in mind you are starting well below your one rep max. The goal is to add 20 to 30lbs at the end of the cycle. After a couple three weeks as the weights are going up you start dropping the reps. Down to 3 then 2 and the last 2 weeks are a single.

Assistance work is kind of like a circuit but you rest a min between exercises and like 3 between circuits. I was doing stiff leg deads, barbell rows, close grip pulldowns/chins, hyperextension. The actual coan routine has you do good mornings instead of hypers. You could probably get great results with reverse hypers or glute ham raises. Do a set of 5 to 8 of each, rest and start at the beginning again.

Fuck I forgot the most important part! After your heavy sets do 3 sets with like 75 percent of your working weight and pull as fast as you can to work on your explosiveness.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

No idea where you got this info. Completely wrong. He never said any of the above. He trained it once a week
The rest of your post is completely mistaken...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 2

Once every 10-14 days seems optimal for everyone I've talked to. If you are training hard then your CNS takes a long ass time to recover from heavy deads

One time a week in the off-season and to be honest very rarely dureing contest prep.
I suck at deadlifting i have short ass arms ,good for the bench but shitty for the deadlifts:(

Lots of useful info in here.
My only question is does this still apply to someone running gear?
Considering recovery time is increased a bit.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear