over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

EAA's vs Shakes

UsmcOldSchoolMuscle

Registered
Do you prefer Essential Amino Acid drinks or Protein Powders? In your opinion what are the pro's and con's to each. Feel free to include brand preference as I ask that sponsors please chime in also.

Personally I have moved away from powders sources from whey etc in favor of hydrolyzed Peptopro. This preference has become cost prohibitive so I am currently taking EAA Alpha (Nutrabio) and a Paleo Post Workout shake (True Nutrition). I figure this allows me to utilize to supplements in two different servings for the price of one serving of Peptopro.
The Paleo Post has Beef and Egg protein which I've opted for on account that Whey can negatively impact my appetite.

Everyone willing to post please be as specific as your willingness and time allows. Thank you for sharing your experience and expertise.

Last edited:
I use a mix that's 50/50 casein/whey right when I get up, about an hour before my workout. During my workout I drink water mixed with 20 grams EAA's. I know I couldn't stomach a whey drink during the workout.

I have used EAA's as a pre-bed protein boost as well as my usual mix. I can't say I've noticed a difference other than the EAA's lay lighter in my gut.

I know a very well respected contributor on this forum once told me to use EAA's when I already had complete proteins in my system. This was when used them as my only wake up/intra protein source.

This probably didn't help! LOL

I've replaced a lot or protein with EAA

Pros: zero stomach issues. Get in a lot of protein without feeling full all the time. Preserving muscle while leaning out. What is like 10 grams eaa equals 30 grams protein or so. If you look at amino profiles of meat youll see the ratios of each amino. TN has the best ratios.

Con: you're gonna need to find calories to replace those lost from whey/meat protein sources. If you're trying to get hayuge. Taste...the flavored ones are expensive imo. Especially if you wanna utilize a lot of Eaa like I do.
The bulk kind is like drinking zombie pee. Still haven't found any flavor pack that can mask 20 grams of Eaas. Ill try one more time with two crystal light packs.

Personally I only use EAA's when immediately pre (like if I didn't have a good meal and no time to digest a shake) or as an intra... I use Animal juiced amino's as my brand it's a BC/EAA mix with a couple goodies. Shakes I rarely do anymore cept I recently started Sleeping Giant by Cytosport, it's a casein shake with melatonin , tart cherry, l-tryptophan for a nice rest...

Also...I can't usually eat before a lift. I will puke no doubt.
From beggining to end my shake is EAA mixed with Rice based maltodextin/dextrose.

EAAs intra only.

Whole protein sources are going to be superior to EAAs.

The rest solid food and protein shakes.

EAAs intra only.

Whole protein sources are going to be superior to EAAs.

The rest solid food and protein shakes.

Why though?
In hospitals they give iv aminos or or tube feeding to people in a coma

Why though?
In hospitals they give iv aminos or or tube feeding to people in a coma

that doesnt mean it is optimal. kinda means there is no other means to feed them..... if they were awake would a hospital be tube feeding them?
-F2S

I use both. EAA's are easy on my stomach so I can essentially drink them all day with no issues. I can't do that with whey protein. I also use EAA's to help get my fluids for the day as I get bored of drinking just water. So I have been drinking EAA's between most meals. I have used many different brands and the main one I am using now is Nutrabio's Pure EAA's and EAA Alpha. I have lowered my intake but I am still going through approx 5 scoops per day. I have 2 scoops intra workout.

EAA's taste so good and I rotate flavours. I also mix them with solid foods mainly greek yoghurt or quark. One of my fav meals is 0% fat quark with berry EAA's mixed in, lemon juice and various berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries). I actually had that meal post workout today as I didn't feel like anything big and wanted something sweet tasting.

Whey isolate is great and I use that at times as well. Although 90% of my meals are whole foods now. I like to add a chocolate/peanut/toffee/hazelnut flavoured whey into any oats I have. Now I am growing if I ever just feel like a shake I go with whey or beef isolate with sweet potatoe powder.

I eat whole food sources of protein throughout the day so the eaa's go well in between those meals. I try to keep most of my water intake in between meals. Although again it's mainly for taste I have them as I enjoy drinking them so much. When my water intake is high consistently my physique only benefits from it. You can't really go wrong with either and both have uses.

If you want a meal replacement shake I would go with whey isolate with some oats or sweet potatoe powder. If you just want a shake between meals you could go with either but eaa's are usually better on the stomach for most people. For intra workout 100% go with EAA's everytime.

whole foods only. if you moved away from whey, why not replace powders entirely with whole proteins?

If I had to choose, eaa. But would rather just wait til I had a whole food protein and got all my protein from that.

that doesnt mean it is optimal. kinda means there is no other means to feed them..... if they were awake would a hospital be tube feeding them?
-F2S

That's not the point...EAA are easier. They just lack carbs, calories, and fat. If you can get more protein without eating/feeling full, why not.
It would be optimal to use EAA replace protein.

That's not the point...EAA are easier. They just lack carbs, calories, and fat. If you can get more protein without eating/feeling full, why not.
It would be optimal to use EAA replace protein.

This is actually not true. So guys taking in EAA's thinking they are less calories than whole proteins are unaware. They are just like any other protein and approx 4.65 calories per gram. So 10 grams of eaa's will have approx 46.5 calories. The FDA regulations state that manufacturers can’t declare the protein content of a product when it only contains individual amino acids. So a lot of them are labelled as zero protein and as a result zero calories.

I didnt want to include much information about how or why I utilize powders.

I do not ever consider powders to be a meal. I do in fact consider protein powders to be a "whole food" just not an optimal one.
I use protein drinks along with meals. I never place a shake into my regiment as a meal if that makes sense. For instance:
10am eggs, oats, banana
Noon chicken breast, rice, broccoli
2:30 pm shake
4:30 flank steak yams and broccoli

I wouldn't be satisfied by that example. I would in fact have to eat a meal at 2:30 but say I am still hungry past what I bought so I will drink a protein shake with the meal or sip in between meals.

I take EAAs immediately when waking up and with my preworkout. I will also drink them when I am studying at times because if i ate a larger meal before studying I wouldn't retain much knowledge or just convince myself I will do it later while I relax and full and satisfied lol.

I also have health issues with gurd and other digestive issues that also factor in. I will use protein powders when I est eggs because If I eat large amounts of egg whites I will have substantial gas and indigestion.

I want to thank everyone who has posted and contributed to the thread. I hope more people continue to share their experience, opinions and advice.

EAAs intra and sometimes throughout the day. I still drink several shakes on top of this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

. What is like 10 grams eaa equals 30 grams protein or so. If you look at amino profiles of meat youll see the ratios of each amino. TN has the best ratios.

Is this true though... I think you would benefet most adding whole proteins in there like a hydrolyzed whey but I've always wanted to see an in depth discussion about this.

i switched to egg white protein recently due to lactose intolerance. Pure WPI is ok too but I try to just steer clear of dairy now when I can, seems it's continually getting worse. Happened when I was around 30, and over the last 3 years it's gone from just mild discomfort and gas to diarrhea and terrible stomach aches. Fun times. Took me a while to realize that WPC was the biggest culprit in my diet after dropping cheese, milk, non-greek yogurt, etc.

Is this true though... I think you would benefet most adding whole proteins in there like a hydrolyzed whey but I've always wanted to see an in depth discussion about this.

i've seen this before too. author l rea (rip) claimed that 5g of humapro was "equivalent" to 28 grams of protein or something along those lines.

I like humapro because they're really the only eaa product that comes in tabs, although I know they've had some shady stuff go on behind the scenes when it comes to label claims, etc...

Intra workout EAA and any time of the day protein

whole foods only. if you moved away from whey, why not replace powders entirely with whole proteins?

If I had to choose, eaa. But would rather just wait til I had a whole food protein and got all my protein from that.

I still use a few Synthepure shakes everyday but my base diet these days is whole foods.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131