over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do I STOP counting reps?

Tendon Snapper

Registered
I've been bodybuilding training for decades and have two regrets related to it.

First is the use of lifting straps for back workouts. They are a crutch which I have come to rely on.

Second is the counting of reps. Totally habitual but I KNOW there are times I reach a number in my head and stop a set regardless of where I am fatigue wise. Not that I stop with tons of gas in the tank, usually near failure, but I let a freaking number dictate the end of the set!

Any thoughts on how to NOT count reps in this head o' mine?

I think counting reps is ok,or i might stop to soon lol. And straps i think is ok too,,i use them every back day helps me focus on my lats and not my hands and grip hurting lol. I do wrist curls twice a week.

i feel you on not counting reps

i dont even count the weight on the bar anymore...sometimes it's got different amounts on each side

idgaf i just lift it.

Some sets i count. Some u don't. Alot of factors. Im really bad at keeping count anyway. 1,2,3,4, 7,9,12. Whatever.

I like straps for a lot of back excercises. Its not a crutch its a tool. The strongest deadlifters in the world still use straps.

For back training im trying to grip the bar as little as possible, this allows me to activate my arms less and back more.

In my opinion you probably should limit yourself to a set number of reps, except perhaps for one set per workout (maybe one set every other workout). Training to failure too many times and/or too frequently is, in my personal experience, a quick way to sabotage gains. My muscles respond and grow with maximal effort reps, with 75-90% of my max, without needing to go to failure (I usually set a number for myself that is several reps shy of failure). Only once every other week or three will I allow myself to go to that point of failure. Even then, I count my reps, of course not to set a limit (since im going to see what my true physical limit actually is) but to track my progress. But the next workout I have to back off an do something like a 5x5, basically a form of active recovery with heavy weights, or else my body rejects the work and gets weaker. But that's just me.

Dude, use the straps! My forearms take over everything. If I didn't use straps, I would never get a decent back workout.

And I don't count much anymore, either. Sometimes I'll add weight without really looking at it much, then 'feel' it, then see what I can do. If I get 10, it's 10. If it's 30, it's 30. My focus is more on intensity than anything else. You can grow from pretty much any rep range, don't let anyone tell you that you have to do this or that.

I think its great to count/record reps to make sure you are always doing more than the workout prior (unless you just went up to a new weight and are setting your baseline)

i feel you on not counting reps

i dont even count the weight on the bar anymore...sometimes it's got different amounts on each side

idgaf i just lift it.

Different amount on each side lol!! :headbang:

count the reps AND log them along with the weight. Next time you do that lift, you will be trying to count for 1-2 more reps. OR the same reps with more weight. There really is a reason to count reps

When I find myself counting reps, even when I don't want to I will purposely start saying random numbers in my head to confuse the count and forget the number I'm actually on. Whatever your training goals are, it matters more that you know what certain rep ranges feel like on your body. Much less important is the number of actual reps. My 2 cents:cool:

When I'm doing a routine where I do three sets of an exercise and reduce weight after each one I only count reps on the first set. I actually count reps on the other two sets but don't write the number down. I have no clue how many I get on those next time around.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131