over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone still eating canned tuna?

Magnolia5

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone eat a bunch of it? FDA says no more then two cans a week because of mercury. But I happen to love the stuff and eat a bunch of it. I've searched around and usually only get guidelines on how much you can eat. Any feedback is appreciated.

Anyone eat a bunch of it? FDA says no more then two cans a week because of mercury. But I happen to love the stuff and eat a bunch of it. I've searched around and usually only get guidelines on how much you can eat. Any feedback is appreciated.

Wow , I wasnt aware that the FDA says to limit tuna to only 2 cans a week .i eat about 3 cans a week .it seems everything we eat these days has some kind of hazard to it

the FDA is a bit of a joke if you havent noticed... if you were limiting your canned tuna intake because of mercury you would have to do it with any other fish. you'll find mercury in just about any fish that comes out of the water. limiting such a healthy food is ridiculous.

Wow , I wasnt aware that the FDA says to limit tuna to only 2 cans a week .i eat about 3 cans a week .it seems everything we eat these days has some kind of hazard to it

It may be a can a day but I'm almost positive it says no more then two a week. I'm with you though I'd eat it daily.

No sir. Methylmercury is nothing you want in your body. I use the canned or pouch salmon. Works just like the tuna minus the mercury.

No sir. Methylmercury is nothing you want in your body. I use the canned or pouch salmon. Works just like the tuna minus the mercury.

Even that contains mercury. I think tuna just contains a lot more.

A few cans a week . Love tuna all my life . I'm 42 . Not sure what mercury can do to you. But I'm pretty sure I'm fine . I egg regular check ups .

You are correct. Salmon is a better choice if there is a better choice. I am really concerned now with the radiation in the water. Scary stuff.

Based on an outstanding 2007 report by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), we've come up with four categories you can use to judge the mercury-safety of all types of seafood, including salmon. Here are your four safety categories that will show you how salmon fits into our overall evaluation of seafood and mercury risk:

Very low: This category includes our recommended best-choice seafood when it comes to avoidance of mercury. Wild-caught Alaskan and Pacific Coast salmon are found here, together with Pacific scallops, shrimp, oysters, clams, mussels, herring, and anchovies. We recommend this category for several meals per week. As you can see, two types of salmon (wild-caught Alaskan salmon and wild-caught Pacific salmon) are included in this very low risk category.Low: This category still keeps your mercury intake at a relatively low level and seafood in this category could often be consumed one time per week. Included here are canned light tuna, Pacific cod, Pacific haddock, wild-caught Atlantic salmon, mahi mahi, canned light tuna, fresh/frozen Pacific tuna and Dungeness crab. As indicated in this list, wild-caught Atlantic salmon are included in this next-to-lowest risk category.

Medium: Most individuals could consume seafood in this category about once per month. A 6-10 ounce serving of any type of seafood in this "medium risk" category on a once-per-month basis would typically fit within a Healthiest Way of Eating. Some individuals in at-risk groups (like pregnant women) would need to keep consumption from this group at a lower level, in the range of only 4-8 ounces on a once-per-month basis. Fish included in this group are halibut, sea bass, grouper, albacore tuna, bluefish, canned albacore tuna, fresh/frozen Atlantic tuna, and Maine lobster.

High: We consider seafood in this group as those that should only be eaten on very rare occasions, and for individuals in higher-risk groups (like pregnant women or young children weighing less than 44 pounds), we treat them as seafood options that should be avoided altogether due to risk of mercury exposure. Fish in this group include swordfish, tilefish, marlin, shark, bluefin tuna, and king mackerel. (Please note that other types of mackerel—including Spanish mackerel, chub mackerel, blue mackerel, and many others—fall into lower-risk categories and can be eaten more frequently).

As you can see from our four level rating system, wild-caught salmon achieves our "very low" mercury rating provided that they are caught in waters outside of Alaska or along the Pacific coast of the United States (offshore from California, Oregon, and Washington). Wild-caught Atlantic salmon achieves the next best rating of "low." We only recommend farmed salmon if they have been organically farmed. Even though we have not yet seen data on the mercury content of organically farmed salmon, we are confident that this type of salmon will achieve our "very low" mercury rating.

I know mike...thanks to Monsanto and GMOs. I can not wait to start growing my own veggies and getting meats from a farmer. The stuff we eat from grocery stores are terrible from the research I've done. Spraying all the crops with toxic poisons and stuff. SMH

Mercury is higher in the albacore tuna, stick to the chunk light and you'll be fine
To answer your question: yes I do, I'm poor and don't like to cook :)

Mercury is not good for us at all.
With that being said, this summer i went thru testing for all heavy metals in my body due to a water scare from my artisan well.
When all the testing was done I found out that our normal livers will in fact filter these heavy metals out if our liver is working normal.
I love tuna and still eat lots of it.

Mercury is not good for us at all.
With that being said, this summer i went thru testing for all heavy metals in my body due to a water scare from my artisan well.
When all the testing was done I found out that our normal livers will in fact filter these heavy metals out if our liver is working normal.
I love tuna and still eat lots of it.

That is very interesting. I would love to see an actual study performed on people consuming different amounts of tuna each week. Establish a baseline test the tuna for mercury before consumed and then test subjects after consumption.

Sorry, I am a lab services coordinator, so my mind is always in analytical mode.

Yea ^. It's hard to tell what all information about Fukushima & radiation contamination is factual, but I've just decided to stay way from most seafood all together right now, especially pacific caught. Not that I'm like "doomsday prepper" type overly concerned, just figure it's easy enough to replace with something else in the meantime, might as well await more information and time.

I eat two cans of chunky tuna everyday.
the taste is good, quick and easy protein meal.
hate to know something might go wrong eating more than 2 cans per week :confused:

From what i read some people end up with higher levels of mercury some don't. There is a actor can't remember his name but he was eating fish twice daily for a little over a year and it messed him up pretty good. I want to say that's all he was eating though was just fish. For as big of a deal as it seems though you'd think some where there would be warning labels on the tuna cans. I looked and didn't see a single one.

Ate probaly 10 tins a week while in Federal Prison( in prison its pouches) the last year i just got out 2 days ago....yeah they been saying this for years about high mercury and PCB levels...but like some of the other posters here i stiil like Tuna...now that im home ill eat considerably less....they only give u about 50g of protein a day in prison so tuna and whatever protein you can buy from the guys who work and steal from the kitchen or supply Depot and you can get your 200g a day...glad that ordeal is over

bought those pouches of tuna in bulk and so sick of tuna at this point.

bought those pouches of tuna in bulk and so sick of tuna at this point.

I hear ya bro! My diet has me eating chicken breast and salmon. I'd rather smash my finger with a hammer than eat another pouch of salmon.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear