over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

father son time

Gunsmith

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
best part about being home is the time I get to spend with my son now , thankfully he loves to shoot as much as I do

this is a 5 shot group he laid down at 200yd with my varmint gun which I think he has adopted (the black diamond is 1/4")

That's fucking awesome man...nothing like teaching your children proper technique and getting the feel of a weapon at a younger age. My daughter is 7 and wants me to start taking her but she is so tiny I am still a little worried. How old was your son when you started taking him and when do you think is a good age to start going? My daughter is a little thing and is 7 and approximately 45 inches and a little over 40 lbs. don't think she could handle the recoil yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son started shooting at 5 , we got him a TC "HotShot" which looks like a mini Encore. Its a single shot 22 thats very very light and has no recoil , both of those are huge factors for children.
The LOP (Length Of Pull) is the measure from the trigger to the rear of the butt stock , 99% of rifles are WAY to long for smaller kids. If you Bend her arm 90 deg at the elbow , measure from the inside of the bend to her tip of the index finger that is gonna be really close to the correct LOP for her. For my son we had to cut the stock down some , its really pretty easy for anyone with half ass mechanical abilities.
I started my son off making him shoot with iron sites then upgraded to a rear peep site then an optic.
His personal rifle has a chassis style stock that uses the same butt stock as on the M4 so its adjustable.

The noise and concussion is what i find scares kids more than anything , the actual recoil isn't that bad on smaller shooters because it moves their whole body where when you are heavier your bodys doesn't move and just soaks uo the energy.
Getting someone (ANYONE) to shoot a gun that hurts or scares them will make them have terrible flinching habits so definitely start small and ease them into it. Shooting things like can and anything else "reactive" is important for kids as well , like anything you gotta keep them interested

Jesus Christ, that first gun is bigger than he is! :eek:

That's awesome, glad you found something to share with him that will be a bonding point between the two of you likely for your entire lives.

Son is a good shooter. I learn how to shoot at 12 well myself. Thanks for sharing pictures, they were awesome.

My daughter is 7 and wants me to start taking her but she is so tiny I am still a little worried. How old was your son when you started taking him and when do you think is a good age to start going? My daughter is a little thing and is 7 and approximately 45 inches and a little over 40 lbs. don't think she could handle the recoil yet.

single bolt action .22 with a scope. no recoil. not much to worry about after firing the one cartridge.

anyone ever see good prices on .22 short

Very cool! More parents need to do this exact thing. Teach them how to shoot, fish etc. He will remember those times his whole life. To many parents are lazy and useless. Keep up the outstanding job. Btw great shooting.

Jesus Christ, that first gun is bigger than he is! :eek:

That's awesome, glad you found something to share with him that will be a bonding point between the two of you likely for your entire lives.

Yea he doesn't like that one as much the suppressor and functional grenade launcher add a ton of weight. He much prefers my standard "working gun" which is just a 10.5" with surefire light. That is a registered full auto lower and thats the only upper ill let him shoot with FA because the weight makes it easier to control

He absolutely loves to shoot , I'm very very strict on him with his shooting form and safety. The way i see it is that of its constantly drilled into you mind then it becomes second nature.
We both set up and do dry fire drills about every day for 20-30 min , slow , steady , deliberate , controlled movements to build muscle memory and mind reflex connection so proper form is second nature.

I honestly feel that learning to shoot is in most of our heritage (in America) and its something that we should not ever take for granted. I've been all over the world and it never ceased to amaze me at how few people know how to shoot or have even fired a gun , we definitely take it for granted here. Then there are the areas where kids his age are experienced war fighters.!!!

Awesome man...your kid will never forget these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best part about being home is the time I get to spend with my son now , thankfully he loves to shoot as much as I do

this is a 5 shot group he laid down at 200yd with my varmint gun which I think he has adopted (the black diamond is 1/4")

Can't beat a Tikka for out of the box accuracy. Great pics and shooting.

Thats Awesome brother! Nothing like spending quality time with you kids! Instead of sitting on electronic devices like the rest of the population!

Awesome!!

Just so you guys know... the scope on the gun in the first pic is an ACOG, by Trijicon. I want one!!! They are 1,200$. So I am saving up:)

Great pics, Gunsmith. My dad was a cop and I started shooting young as well.

That's great. I got my oldest daughter started last year when she was 8, she loves it. My father is a fire arms instructor and got me started early, glad he did, now doing the same with my kids.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear