over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Only working out upper body

Creation

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Anyone ever stop working out lower body to focus on upper body getting bigger/denser?

Im not trying to compete etc. - im on TRT - and my legs are a decent size

Still do Hiit - 2x a week on spin bike/sprints and LISS 2-3x a week

The split:

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/tris
Day 2: cardio
Day 3: Back/bis/rear delts
Day 4: cardio
repeat

terrible idea for several reasons. Leg workouts stimulate some of the largest muscles in your body, which helps create a metabolic state that is conducive to muscle-building. You can build muscle in your upper body without working out your legs, but working all the major muscles in your body will lead to faster and better results. Also, from a appearance perspective, it’s very important for symetry. Your also going to get a large hormonal release when training legs heavy. but, if u go lighter and higher reps, cardiovascular wise you will pruduce a high level of oxygenated blood which is great for healthy heart along with lungs. An other reason is core stability. Lastly, if your looking to add density to upper body you must incorporate legs. Dont settle for “decent size” and dont be lazy. Make legs a priority and u will reap many benefits to growing.

Sounds like you just don’t like working legs which is understandable. Instead of abandoning leg workouts altogether why not simply work them less.

I have more than one friend who only works out for looks and doesn’t do legs, which I find odd because I work out my legs hard and wish i had larger calfs, but it’s their life and bodies. I tell them to just do squats or lunges and then calf’s on one of their lighter days, or leg press and calf’s for the ones who use their knees as a excuse not to do legs. That’s it, two workouts....all set. Better than abandoning them altogether.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AOtKUeU9K8"]Senor Chang Saying Ha Gay - YouTube[/ame]

terrible idea for several reasons. Leg workouts stimulate some of the largest muscles in your body, which helps create a metabolic state that is conducive to muscle-building. You can build muscle in your upper body without working out your legs, but working all the major muscles in your body will lead to faster and better results. Also, from a appearance perspective, it’s very important for symetry. Your also going to get a large hormonal release when training legs heavy. but, if u go lighter and higher reps, cardiovascular wise you will pruduce a high level of oxygenated blood which is great for healthy heart along with lungs. An other reason is core stability. Lastly, if your looking to add density to upper body you must incorporate legs. Dont settle for “decent size” and dont be lazy. Make legs a priority and u will reap many benefits to growing.

Preach it brother!:cool:

i would keep training legs

i am getting lil older at 41 yrs old and i know legs are one of first things to go as you age. i will never compete again and hate working out legs (hurts so bad after half my life playing soccer and half my life bb'ing) BUT i know they are gonna shrink soon if not already so i get em done. hate every minute of it lol but necassary.
and like said the metabolic response alone is prob worth it.
-F2S

If you have legs than I would work them out

After back and knee surgery I don't push them as hard as I use to but I still work them out.

I think people get stuck in an all or none mentality with legs. Why not just do one exercise for them whenever you are in the gym to work other stuff. Just rotate the move, so one time leg press, other time squat, another time step up or lunge. I'd also rotate the type of calf raise.

Just cause you don’t care about them getting bigger doesn’t mean you can just stop training them lol

Especially for older people because you may like there size already but if your older they really won’t grow to much. And in a few years they will fade. Training them is the only way to keep them especially as you got 45 and older.

And your body won’t operate nearly as efficient with leg training out. Metabolic needs will surely drop. Glycogen uptake won’t nearly be as good ect

You don’t need to squat 500 pounds at 40 years old. You can leg press. Extensions. Ham curls ect.

But your main desire is to get “denser” heavy leg training is probably one of the best ways to get dense lol. Especially heavy,squats lunges,deadlifts. Anything with massive isometric tension will cause you to get denser.

And also if your able to lift heavy upper body and choose to not train legs then your just lazy and that work ethic speaks for itself (sorry not trying to call you out or be mean)

Last edited:
I really have not trained legs in 4-5 yrs seriously!
Tore half my hamstring off, not lifting related and still have some Major damage back there!
I used to Squat 600 for reps and Dead 500. Now some Extensions and hip machines those girls do is my complete workout.
My legs never really got big and have only lost a little size.
As Far as a Hormonal response I think that's only true with the Younger lifters. Plus I believe My body only likes carrying a certain amount of muscle.
I have seen where my legs have gotten bigger and the scale did not change. Stealing musculature from other parts of the Body. Same seems to-go with my Back development>
I would think I would need at least another 1000 cals just to feed new growth! With added cals come more anabolics were both in Extreme becomes even more Unhealthy as you gorge on 6000+ cals and 2 Grams + gear!!!

Last edited:
I quit doing squats except maybe kettle bell goblet squats or body weight squats. I had a roid and my doc told me not to do squats. I didnt listen to him at first then found out that he knew what he was talking about. I still do deads, lunges etc.

Tore half my hamstring off, not lifting related and still have some Major damage back there!
I used to Squat 600 for reps and Dead 500. Now some Extensions and hip machines those girls do is my complete workout.
As Far as a Hormonal response I think that's only true with the Younger lifters. Plus I believe My body only likes carrying a certain amount of muscle.
I have seen where my legs have gotten bigger and the scale did not change. Stealing musculature from other parts of the Body. Same seems to-go with my Back development>
I would think I would need at least another 1000 cals just to feed new growth! With added cals come more anabolics were both in Extreme becomes even more Unhealthy as you gorge on 6000+ cals and 2 Grams + gear!!!

same here. hormonal response? yall are on steroids, domt need a hormonal response!
my legs went from 24 to 27inches when i started at the gym. knees hurt 24 hours a day after a few years. so when i quit gear and switched to 100 rep leg press days they shrunk to 26 and stayed there. not big but bigger than when i started.
then i quit doing legs completely, just biking and hiking.
in a year and a half ive lost 1/2 inch....
the times i DID spend a couple weeks on them they went right back up over 26 again. just that easy. on trt.
so maybe just do them once in a while. every couple weeks do a 100 rep day. i'd bet u'd see some size or at least u'd keep what u got.

Saying people on gear don't need a hormonal response is not true at all. The main thing (to my knowledge but I AM SURE) it does more is cause a jump in growth hormone and associated growth factors (IGF). ALL exercise may do this but I believe squats and other compound lifts do but are best with legs (squats) having the most profound effect... And yes you can blow tons of money on GH and IGF but nothing beats the real thing. A man who's body naturally produced the equivalent of 500mg's of test a week would look better than ANY of us on a cycle of 1gram a week. Same goes for GH and IGF and all the other hormones and growth factors. Natural is best and doing legs is a great way to get a natural release.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3371329/

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406641-how-important-are-leg-workouts-for-muscle-gain/

https://ast-ss.com/key-exercises-boost-growth-hormone/

same here. hormonal response? yall are on steroids, domt need a hormonal response!
my legs went from 24 to 27inches when i started at the gym. knees hurt 24 hours a day after a few years. so when i quit gear and switched to 100 rep leg press days they shrunk to 26 and stayed there. not big but bigger than when i started.
then i quit doing legs completely, just biking and hiking.
in a year and a half ive lost 1/2 inch....
the times i DID spend a couple weeks on them they went right back up over 26 again. just that easy. on trt.
so maybe just do them once in a while. every couple weeks do a 100 rep day. i'd bet u'd see some size or at least u'd keep what u got.
ur first sentence just makes u sound stupid or ignorant. Dopamine, Adrenaline, norepinephrin, ACTH, TSH, GH, Glucagon, insulin, ghrelin...all hormones that are released when training. Keep skipping leg day brother.

i agree training legs sucks. lol
that said i think its sort of irresponsible not too.

due to various injuries in and out of the gym the past few years i havent been able to train them that much which has been a nice excuse to be easier. i cant stomach not doing them though. even if it is praciticing form with a smith machine or bar you can get a great workout focusing on that. treat it cardioesq if you have to but i think doing legs is better then not.

plus its always cool when girls compliment YOU on your legs...:p

Yes and legs can both grow good as well as just give the mentioned hormonal release if trained at a modest weight with high reps (I try for 2 sets of 20 on squats which doesn't let me use a weight that hurts any of MY joints or strain my neck/back..)

Calling concreteguy right now, this thread could benefit from some alphaness

You make a good point here. While there are obviously many health benefits attached to leg training, the truth of the matter is that leg training (when done for the purpose of growth) will cause one's caloric requirmements to rise more quickly...by virtue of the fact that they will be carrying more overall muscle tissue.

This means more total calories will be needed just to maintain muscle tissue, let alone gain more, forcing the individual to consume a larger amount of caloroies to fuel the growth of other bodyparts.

For example, if I were to gain 25 pounds of additional leg mass, taking me from 250 bs to 275 lbs, my caloric requirments--from a mainetance standpoint alone--would increase by a good 1,000-1,500 per day. In other words, I would need to eat an extra 1,000-1,500 caloroies just to maintain the same amount of chest, arm, back and delt mass I had at 250 lbs...and if I wanted to gain additional upper-body mass, I would now be required to eat even more calories just to make that growth possible.

Now, for bodybuilders who want to maximize their development/compete, this is just part of the game. If they stop playing, they stop progressing, but what about those people who don't have competitive aspirations and/or are already content with their leg size? Should they be forced to build additional leg mass--thereby drastically increasing their caloric requirments--just so they can continue adding muscle to their upper-body? Of course not.

So, while the notion of leg training may seem like an automatic prerequisite for serious bodybuilders, we should also understand that not everyone has the same goals.

At a minimum, I think it would be wise to at least train legs for mainetance and general overall health purposes, but there is no rule that says those who want to continue building muscle/strength in other areas must continue growing their legs as well.

Often, as bodybuilders, we have been pre-programmed to think that those who don't train legs hard, or don't train them at all, do so simply because they are lazy, undisciplined, weak-willed or have a poor work ethic. In the case of a professing, aspiring competitive bodybuilder, this may very well be the case, but this is not so for everyone else. Some people may indeed just be lazy, but many people just don't have the desire to grow their legs anymore.

In the end, to each their own, but I would still recommend including at least some maintanance leg training for health purposes.

Last edited:
I think people get stuck in an all or none mentality with legs. Why not just do one exercise for them whenever you are in the gym to work other stuff. Just rotate the move, so one time leg press, other time squat, another time step up or lunge. I'd also rotate the type of calf raise.

this is how i work them now , i switch up every week.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws