YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cutler: "In my 20 years of training, I've never trained to failure on any set. Ever."

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Cutler: "In my 20 years of training, I've never trained to failure on any set. Ever."

Found this Q and A on training with Jay Cutler and thought it was pretty interesting. Being a guy who has great success with staying away from failure myself, hearing Jay say this is encouraging. The full quote:

"In my 20 years of training, I've never trained to failure on any set. Ever. I always trained with a weight in which I could do 8-12 repetitions.

For sure I could use more weight, but my focus wasn't on building even more strength or training to failure—rather it was on volume.

You can't do both high volume and high intensity; you have to pick one or the other. I'm a 20-set guy, I'd do 20 sets no matter whether the body part was chest or biceps. It didn't matter. For back it was up to 30 sets. Your nervous system can take only so much abuse.

For me, for anyone, doing high volume and training to failure—even past failure—is just too much. I never felt it was even necessary to try a technique like forced reps."

Jay could’ve done push ups against the wall and built a better physique than 99% of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay could’ve done push ups against the wall and built a better physique than 99% of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The same can be said of any post Dickerson olympia winner. they still often uncover valuable insights into training.

In my observation, high volume and lower intensity leads to slower but more consistent gains with lower injury risk. Higher intensity low volume leads to faster gains overall, but increased risk of injury/burnout. High volume high intensity leads to hip replacement surgeries and short careers, but potentially some very fast gains. Dexter Jackson is a testament to the effectiveness of the first style... he may not have the most olympias, but damn what a long career and a lot of pro show victories.

If I could go back in time, I'd have done something like DC early in my career and then transitioned into a more volume based program like Mountain dog but with less frenetic exercise variation. Unfortunately when I was young I didn't bodybuild at all and put a shit ton of strain on my body doing oly lifting.

That's from a bodybuildng.com article from a few years ago. I had a two-year subscription to FLEX in the early 2000's and I can tell you it's amazing the inconsistencies of alleged testimonies. Cutler is definitely a volume man and watching his videos he does leave reps in the tank, but I'm sure over a few decades he hit failure by accident in some cases.

Absolutely. He looked like this at 22. Nobody looks like this at 22.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsFADhWhpCT/

Higher intensity low volume leads to faster gains overall, but increased risk of injury/burnout.

It doesn't have to. Especially with what's come to light regarding rep ranges.

Found this Q and A on training with Jay Cutler and thought it was pretty interesting. Being a guy who has great success with staying away from failure myself, hearing Jay say this is encouraging. The full quote:

"In my 20 years of training, I've never trained to failure on any set. Ever.

"Ever"???.... Cmon now..:rolleyes:

If you believe this I have a great deal on some beachfront property for you.

His training videos are out there and there are plenty and he does idd do exactly what he says here. No reason not to believe him and obviously it worked well for him as well.

"Ever"???.... Cmon now..:rolleyes:

I too find this hard to believe - maybe he should define what failure means to him.
I watched him over the years as he made hundreds of training videos and clips if not thousands.. and saw him get forced reps on many sets with a spotter.

TO ME that is going to some type of failure, maybe his definition of failure is complete like Platz did at times- he'd train on some sets where he couldn't even budge the weight after many drops sets partials and holds.

He did train very very heavy later on in his career - not like Ronnie did, but close and he started really hitting the basics hard and heavier to catch Ronnie.

also was curious how he tore his bicep - not sure I remember the details but it did happen.

meta-data studies compiled on "stronger by science" show stopping 1-2 reps short of positive failure has the same signaling effect as going to failure.
failure is just a way to ensure yr doing enuff.

Not hard to believe... there are plenty of guys that made great gains without going to failure much if at all. Phil heath . Jay.. haney.. chris dickerson.. Kevin levrone has stated he doesnt like to go to failure..

Now we can chalk this up to great genetics... or response to compounds. But in essence it truly doesnt matter.. train hard.. consistency.. eat.. and you'll gain. There are negatives to training to failure... I personally like low volume and going to failure. But maybe I'm wrong lol.. I do it " just to be xertain".. but it doesnt mean it is the best way..

There is something to be said about total workload. And if your constantly going to failure that accumulation workload is going to drop..

So go to failure or not. Just be consistent in everything you do ..

He did train very very heavy later on in his career - not like Ronnie did, but close and he started really hitting the basics hard and heavier to catch Ronnie.

Yep. Started training as a teen utilizing progressive overload and became a monster. Then stayed roughly the same size for years until he realized he needed a better back to beat Coleman. So he then applied progressive overload again (heavier) and trained it twice a week (frequency). Hmmm...

Not sure why this is hard to believe? Look at how guys like Lee Priest or Paul Dillet worked out, they didnt even break a sweat. Plus why does it matter? Whats the take away?

I like training to failure especially when I'm on tren. It taxes my CNS, which makes me tired, which makes me want to punch people in the face much less.

Yep. Started training as a teen utilizing progressive overload and became a monster. Then stayed roughly the same size for years until he realized he needed a better back to beat Coleman. So he then applied progressive overload again (heavier) and trained it twice a week (frequency). Hmmm...

Right on the money. All bodybuilders get this great amnesia when they get into this type of training that isnt hard anymore on what truly built the muscle mass. He uses unbelievably heavy weights when he was young and created all his size https://www.musculardevelopment.com...yparts-muscular-development.html#.XQ-UJ1VKiUk

and after 18 months wins the national title in the teen heavyweights. 18 months! 216lbs at 18-19 years old

Using those same massively heavy weights when he was young he then shows up on stage at almost 240lbs at 22 years old

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RrZyuHie64"]Young Jay Cutler JayCutler - YouTube[/ame]

He then shows up at the Nationals at 23 years old onstage at 256lbs onstage and gets his pro card.

He then starts training lighter for the rest of his career and competes for the next 15-18 years or so at 255-265lbs (0 to 10lbs more!) so please tell me the time period he made all his size gains? The beginning years when he used unbelievably heavy weights.

the only other time he really put on some size was when he realized he couldnt beat Ronnie unless he started training heavier and he did and got his back up to snuff with again "heavy training" and took out Ronnie

Apart from tearing his bicep, as far as getting injuries, Jay Cutler came out good, far better than Yates or Coleman. Haney came out injury free.

There is a time to scale back on training, do less intensity, and give your body a break. Like a machine you cannot run it all the time or it will break down.

To put on muscle injury prevention is key, training intelligently, safely, and with some kind of intensity

I had read several times about Dexter Jackson just stopping workouts if he sense some sort of injury. Kind of like error on the side of caution. I try to do this. If I feel a pain that doesn't seem right I just do lighter weight or call it quits. A good workout is one that lets you workout tomorrow too.

I think we restarting to blur the line as to what the original post was about... it's about going to failure. Not using heavy weight or not.. Jay used heavy weights.. that's a must... Jay was simply saying he didnt train to faikure.. powerlifters use heavy loads and most dont intentionally hit failure.

So yes heavy loads are a must for most.. but for many hitting failure is not a necessity. But yes progressive overload is needed. I watched a video once with Jay using 335 pounds for 12 reps. Resting maybe a minute then doing it again .. he did this for 4 sets... that takes some strength.

Cutler was EXTREMELY strong and NEVER would have gotten as large as he did without pushing some big pundages. He talked numerous times about how he squated 700 lbs for reps, benched 550 X 2 and overhead pressed 405 when he was younger. Even towards the end of his career (2009, I believe), I saw a video of him doing a set of incline bench presses with 405 X 14! That is VERY strong. Most pros can't come anywhere close. Barbell rows with 405 lbs, T-bar rows with 9 plates, etc. These are some massive poundages. He may not have used them all the time, but make no mistake, the only times he got bigger was when he was getting stronger.

I think maybe you guys are taking it a little too literal, I think he’s just trying to say he never utilized a program based around going to failure

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member