over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Optimal time of day to train, and to eat

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
In your opinion...

1. When is the optimal time to train? First thing in the AM, close to before bed, right after work (assuming you get off around 4)?

2. How do you tailor your nutrition around your workout? Try and get more calories before training (to have full glycogen), Try and get more after training (for recovery), intermittent fast, or try and spread your meals evenly throughout the day?

3. How important do you feel either of these things are? Is 6 small meals really better than 1 large meal before, and after training (assuming calories are equal, so say 6x500 calories = 3,000.....vs........1500 calories 2 hours before training, and 1500 calories after training).

I will see what others say, but one major benefit of eating just 2 large meals. You don't have to do meal prep. How much time does this save per day, per week? Time that can be used to say, do more cardio, more relaxation (less stress), more sleep even?

Not having meal prep = basically having a maid (you don't have to do it).

In your opinion...

1. When is the optimal time to train? First thing in the AM, close to before bed, right after work (assuming you get off around 4)?

2. How do you tailor your nutrition around your workout? Try and get more calories before training (to have full glycogen), Try and get more after training (for recovery), intermittent fast, or try and spread your meals evenly throughout the day?

3. How important do you feel either of these things are? Is 6 small meals really better than 1 large meal before, and after training (assuming calories are equal, so say 6x500 calories = 3,000.....vs........1500 calories 2 hours before training, and 1500 calories after training).

I'm not a competitor nor I do I make a living from this, so for me, training gets fit in where it's most convenient (after 8pm in my case) and my nutrition is based on that as well (pre-workout meal 2 hours before training, post workout shake, post workout meal, intra workout bcaa in water/powerade mix, and sip on bcaa all day) and that's optimal for me atm bc I'm not a morning person, morning training makes me tired throughout the day, and I hate being distracted to eat... And meals during the day make me slower. Fewer meals help me not eat as much bad shit. Not worried about glycogen bc I'm not going to use all of the glycogen stored from the meals the night before.

Eating every few hours was better when I was out of the office more. It helped avoid fast food places I was passing all day. Now I'm in the office and never have the temptation, so it doesn't matter to me if I eat 3 times or 10 times, as long as I'm getting closer to whatever goal I have at that time.

I think the times you train and eat are important, but not for the reasons usually brought up. Some used to talk about a better hormone response and feeding times when morning training... But what difference does that make if your workout is shit bc you hate morning and feel bad, can't focus, and have a hard time getting a pump? If you feel good in the morning and can focus, get a great pump, and beat your book then do that instead. Some people train at night, but what good does that so if you sleep like shit bc of it and aren't recovering?

Hope that makes sense.

i always train after my office hours, so around 5pm.
i Follow a IF diet where my feasting window is post workout only, so
around 7.30pm until 10 or 12pm (depending when i go to sleep)
i love this approach and i also feel that it helps tremendously in keeping my physique tight and adding muscle slowly. (i dont want to hard bulk and hard cut anymore)
i drink black coffee during the day (around 2) and a double espresso pre workout and i dont feel sluggish or anything like that.

I train in the middle of the day. i ve already eat my breakfast 6:30am and a snack 9:45am. It's my favorite schedule to train

As above, I had a job and commitments so I trained when it fit in which for me was at 5 am. I worked from 8-4:30, came home and ate dinner real quick before heading out to coach youth sports, either football, baseball, or basketball depending on the season so often didn't actually get home until 8:30 or so. By then training was the last thing I wanted to do.

I've been semi-retired for 4 years but still train first thing in the morning.
I have a protein drink and some fruit when I get up, a pre workout drink a half hour after that, work out half hour after that drink.

During my workout I sip on water with 20 grams of EAA's.

i always train after my office hours, so around 5pm.
i Follow a IF diet where my feasting window is post workout only, so
around 7.30pm until 10 or 12pm (depending when i go to sleep)
i love this approach and i also feel that it helps tremendously in keeping my physique tight and adding muscle slowly. (i dont want to hard bulk and hard cut anymore)
i drink black coffee during the day (around 2) and a double espresso pre workout and i dont feel sluggish or anything like that.

I was considering doing this. So you train fasted? This way also eliminates meal prep and having to take Tupperware to work full of food daily. Do you see any negatives vs when you ate all day long in past diets?

IMO the optimal time to train is whenever you can do so without being distracted. This changes for me depending on the time of year as my businesses pick up and slow down depending on the season.

Currently, I do my cardio at 6am, have 3 meals and come back at 2pm for weights. I have an intra shake (gatorade and karbolyn + protein) and a post shake (carbs + protein) followed by 2 meals before I go to bed.

I've tried the 6 meals vs 3 (never 2) and I honestly did not notice a huge difference. I'm at the point where I really don't care, I'll do what fits my schedule best and is easiest to execute and it just so happens that I am able to do 6-7 meals fairly easily at the moment so thats what I'm doing.

I was considering doing this. So you train fasted? This way also eliminates meal prep and having to take Tupperware to work full of food daily. Do you see any negatives vs when you ate all day long in past diets?

i only see advantages and i do not plan to go back.
However, you have to make sure that you are "able" to eat enough during your feast period. I have no problems downing 2-3K cals (upper end is enough for me to grow slowly) in this time period. Many people have problems doing that in 3-4 hours..
I simply love it. i love going to bed full and still having in mind that i did not overeat on the day. It helps me to stay in good shape and i even have better energy training fasted than eating 1-2 hours beforehand. Pumps are good.
If you wanne do that, it is important that you salt your water. I drink around 6 litres before training and i put around 1/2-1tbsp of sea salt per liter.

A study I saw many years ago showed most people to be their strongest at around 4 PM. After they have fueled up their bodies and the CNS is at it's best.

I train around 1pm every day and after 2 meals. I eat my carbs around training, before and after.

1. The optimal time to train is one that fits your lifestyle best, that you can consistently make happen. I've never seen a scientific article that showed evidence for training at a certain time of day, particularly in a bodybuilding / hypertrophy context.

2. I don't tailor nutrition around the workout. Having full glycogen stores isn't dependent on what you eat the day you train, it's dependent on what you've eaten the last 1-2 days. I do consume more calories in my post-training meal than any other, but that's more because I'm the most hungry at that time.

3. Optimal time to train isn't important, figure out what you can make work consistently for your lifestyle. Getting your nutrition down is very important, but again, experiment and figure out what works best for you. Just because 80% of people say it must be done a certain way doesn't mean it's optimal for you.

All that said, here's what I personally do:

1. On weekdays I train around 6:30PM - 7:00PM. If I work from home I like to go around 12:30PM - 1:00PM just to have more free time in the evening. On the weekend I usually train around 3PM. Hence why I don't believe there's an optimal time to train - as long as your muscles are fueled and you've got some energy, you can have a great workout.

2. I do 4 meals a day and have for years. Breakfast is a few scoops of protein powder. Lunch is a one massive meal that I eat half of around 1PM and the other half of around 4PM. Intraworkout I do EAAs and creatine. When growing, I add Karbolyn and do a protein shake when I finish training. After training I do another massive meal that I split in 2 and eat over 2 - 3 hours depending on how hungry I am.

3. The most important factor in everything related to bodybuilding is figuring out what works best for you - not just following X's latest workout or diet, but doing trial and error, tracking everything, and seeing how that impacts body composition, performance, how you feel overall, etc.

I'm sure people would laugh at some exercises I do, but my physique speaks for itself. Many will tell you there's no way you can get huge on just 4 meals a day, but I've made it to over 250lbs. lean on just 4.

Everybody wants to be spoon-fed an easy to follow formula to reach their goals, but that's not how it works if you really want to maximize what you have. For most of us, it requires constant evaluation and refinement of training, diet, and supplementation, and most aren't willing to do the work that entails.

i train at 330p when i can. i call that midday and it is the best time for me imo. i have gotten a few meals in and worst part of my day w work is over so its a good time to let loose of stress.

intra shake during workout, post workout shake after

i eat when hungry. if was bodybuiliding serious i would have macros at 50gm pro/@35gm carbs/20gm fats and would have protein shake in between meals of @30gms of protein

not into this whole IF thing.
-F2S

3. The most important factor in everything related to bodybuilding is figuring out what works best for you - not just following X's latest workout or diet, but doing trial and error, tracking everything, and seeing how that impacts body composition, performance, how you feel overall, etc.

This is all you needed to say right here....

1. The optimal time to train is one that fits your lifestyle best, that you can consistently make happen. I've never seen a scientific article that showed evidence for training at a certain time of day, particularly in a bodybuilding / hypertrophy context.

2. I don't tailor nutrition around the workout. Having full glycogen stores isn't dependent on what you eat the day you train, it's dependent on what you've eaten the last 1-2 days. I do consume more calories in my post-training meal than any other, but that's more because I'm the most hungry at that time.

3. Optimal time to train isn't important, figure out what you can make work consistently for your lifestyle. Getting your nutrition down is very important, but again, experiment and figure out what works best for you. Just because 80% of people say it must be done a certain way doesn't mean it's optimal for you.

All that said, here's what I personally do:

1. On weekdays I train around 6:30PM - 7:00PM. If I work from home I like to go around 12:30PM - 1:00PM just to have more free time in the evening. On the weekend I usually train around 3PM. Hence why I don't believe there's an optimal time to train - as long as your muscles are fueled and you've got some energy, you can have a great workout.

2. I do 4 meals a day and have for years. Breakfast is a few scoops of protein powder. Lunch is a one massive meal that I eat half of around 1PM and the other half of around 4PM. Intraworkout I do EAAs and creatine. When growing, I add Karbolyn and do a protein shake when I finish training. After training I do another massive meal that I split in 2 and eat over 2 - 3 hours depending on how hungry I am.

I'm sure people would laugh at some exercises I do, but my physique speaks for itself. Many will tell you there's no way you can get huge on just 4 meals a day, but I've made it to over 250lbs. lean on just 4.

Everybody wants to be spoon-fed an easy to follow formula to reach their goals, but that's not how it works if you really want to maximize what you have. For most of us, it requires constant evaluation and refinement of training, diet, and supplementation, and most aren't willing to do the work that entails.

Nothing more needs to be said after this...

I get off work, go home, eat a quick meal, and then head to the gym ~1 hour later. For me, consistency is the most important thing, and that is a time that works best with my schedule.

My most carb-heavy meals are before and after the gym. Slightly more before than after. After the gym I usually only have 1 full-sized meal + 1 smaller meal (e.g. protein shake + fruit or veggies).

I do something in between. Usually 4 meals - 3 before the gym + 1 after the gym + 1 smaller "snack" after the gym. I also have an intraworkout with 1 scoop HBCD and 1 scoop of protein. Whatever makes you feel best and you can consistently stick with. I think digestion and practicality are more important than what might be "optimal". I personally don't think there is any benefit to 6 meals over something like 3 or 4.

I get off work, go home, eat a quick meal, and then head to the gym ~1 hour later. For me, consistency is the most important thing, and that is a time that works best with my schedule.

My most carb-heavy meals are before and after the gym. Slightly more before than after. After the gym I usually only have 1 full-sized meal + 1 smaller meal (e.g. protein shake + fruit or veggies).

I do something in between. Usually 4 meals - 3 before the gym + 1 after the gym + 1 smaller "snack" after the gym. I also have an intraworkout with 1 scoop HBCD and 1 scoop of protein. Whatever makes you feel best and you can consistently stick with. I think digestion and practicality are more important than what might be "optimal".

Optimal time - weekends and one day in the morning.
Food I eat twice a day because I csnt eat small meals. If style late in the day. If it's the weekend I'll eat a small meal before then train them once big meal after.

I also work a lot of hours tho.

Last edited:
1. That is different for everyone. I personally train at very different times. I was in the gym at 2am the other night. If I had to pick any time it would be around 4-9pm. Generally there is no optimal time to train as everyone is different (work, sleep, social life etc).

2. Muscle glycogen doesn't work like that. Although I usually have carbs around training. I have no set rule and things change depending upon how I feel and my current goals. Although it's not uncommon for me to have a balanced meal of protein, complex carbs and fats pre workout. Intra I have aminos alone or aminos and a carb powder but not a high amount. I just trained and had 25g carbs intra for example.

Post workout I usually have protein, complex carbs and fast carbs. An example could be chicken drizzled with honey and rice or rice cakes. Recently I have been having a smoothie post workout pretty much every day. That consists of synthepure, oats, mixed berries, banana and almond or coconut milk. I generally spread my meals throughout the day but some are larger than others.

3. Different things work for different people. Someone could grow or diet very effectively on 2 meals per day for example. Whatever suits your lifestyle and preferences. I don't think any certain number of meals is optimal. Although generally speaking I do favour having frequent meals spread throughout the day. If someone was having 400g protein per day I would not recommend eating it in 1-2 meals. I think 50g every 2 hours for 16 hours (or similar) simply makes more sense. But different approaches suit different people and there are no wrong answers in any of this. Very rarely are things black/white when it comes to nutrition. Nevertheless, for most bodybuilders/weightlifters I think 2 meals are much better than 1 meal and 3 is better than 2. However, after 3 meals I think it all depends upon the person and their lifestyle.

Ones goals are a significant factor as well. If someone is maintaining approx 190 pounds at average height (or even trying to diet down to low bf) they can do lot's of fasting and eating 1-3 meals per day. Now if someone wants to be a 300 pound freak they are likely going to have to eat around the clock just to be able to fit all the required food in. I personally like to have sensible sized meals spread throughout the day. Yes 2 massive meals enables more time for things to be digested but I find that approach just bloats me and makes me struggle for the rest of the day. Right now I am consuming about 4 meals per day with aminos in between meals. That keeps me satisfied and is easy to maintain and for my current goals is perfect for me.

In your opinion...

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws