over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The perfect postworkout protein protocol

TheGame46

Registered
The Perfect Post Workout Protein Protocol

Its common knowledge that PWO protein intake combined with high glycemic carbohydrates drastically increases recovery and muscle gain. But with all the products out there it’s hard to know if you really getting the most you can out of your PWO nutrition. To get the most out of it, I’m going to explain some general concepts.

Advantages Of Whey Protein:

* Helps boost immune system.
* Whey will absorb 80-90% and isolate will absorb about 90-99% and mixes can offer 100%.
* Enhances muscle recovery after workouts and helps prevent muscle breakdown.
* Best source of amino acids next to cooked eggs.
* Absorbs very quickly in the body.
* Inexpensive to produce.
* Easy to flavor.
* Has a long shelf life.
* Can be prepared several ways and mixes easily with water.

Whey comes in several forms: concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed whey.
The most common and least effective form is whey concentrate which has an absorption rate of at best 80-85%. And OK bioavailability

The next best thing is whey isolate which can absorb up into the 90-99% ranges and better bioavailability.

The best protein out there i hydrolyzed whey protein. This is essentially the why protein after it has been predigested by enzymes breaking into really small fragments. These small fragments are much easier for the body to absorb and use as building blocks then the larger proteins. Hydrolyzed whey can be found in small amounts in a lot of formulas out there but its important to see what the average size of the proteins are the smaller the better, but usually the more expensive.

Why is hydro whey so great?
Your body very rarely actually uses large proteins. The body is constructing different proteins using the protein you digest as building blocks. The protein we eat is usually in the form of large peptides and proteins that were previously constructed by the organism they came from. So our body instead of looking for a place where we need that exact protein digest and breaks down the protein into small pieces which it can use to make its own bigger proteins. The best forms of hydrolyzed whey are broken down into pieces as small as 3-5 amino acids long. So basically imagine trying to construct a building with legos. Hydro whey is like getting stacks of 3 legos together that you can use to from walls etc. for your building. Regular protein would be like trying to build a lego building with a pre-constructed lego car. You have to take it apart before you can actually add to your building.

So hydro is not only absorbed faster b/c it is smaller, but it is actually able to be used by your body much faster and easier and more completely than sources of full length proteins.

So what is the best post workout nutrition method?
Research has shown that protein in combination with high glycemic carbohydrates after exercise in a 2:1 ratio is extremely beneficial. The reason that carbohydrates are need are mainly for digestion of those of those proteins when your body is already starved of carbohydrates from the workout. During your workout your body releases glucose from the stores in the muscles, and when the workout is over the body increases insulin very easily in response to food intake b/c it wants to replenish those levels of glucose in the muscle. This is one reason why you need lots of carbs with your protein b/c most of the carbs are beings stored and used to recover your energy from the workout and remove lactic acid etc.

By using hydro whey there is less of a carbohydrate demand for protein absorption and construction. There are some supplement companies that fail to realize this and pack 4 times the carbohydrates with hydro whey. This is just extra carbs to be stored as fat.
When you take a whey concentrate or isolate those carbs are used to digest the protein.

So here is what IMO would provide the best post workout benefit.
Immediately following workout.
15-20g hydro whey with 20-30g of dextrose
15-20 minutes after the workout
20-40g whey isolate/concentrate combo mixed with milk with or followed by a low fat med to low glycemic carb meal. Fruit it a great choice here. To have with your shake. And apple or banana works great. Especially if you do vanilla shakes and blend the banana in.

This gives you the quickest protein available to your muscles, and still utilizes larger slower digest protein to keep the anabolic environment while utilizes the carbohydrates ingested to limit any fat gain.

By TheGame46
Flawless Training

"Whey will absorb 80-90% and isolate will absorb about 90-99% and mixes can offer 100%."

Are there any studies to support this?

These numbers are high averages I would say of what most studies have found. They are pretty plentiful on PubMED if you looking for something specific

TheGame46 said:
So here is what IMO would provide the best post workout benefit.
Immediately following workout.
15-20g hydro whey with 20-30g of dextrose
15-20 minutes after the workout
20-40g whey isolate/concentrate combo mixed with milk with or followed by a low fat med to low glycemic carb meal. Fruit it a great choice here. To have with your shake. And apple or banana works great. Especially if you do vanilla shakes and blend the banana in.

So if I'm reading this correctly your recommending bringing two PWO shakes the gym? Hydro and Dex immediately after working out. Twenty mins passed followed up with a Isolate/concentrate mixed with milk and fruit?

Two PW shakes spaced apart... ok... now finally that makes sense because I've been thinking about that actually. I can't do whey as I'm lactose intolerant... so I'm thinking my CFM will have to do. Thank you

THE STORM

STORM SHADOW said:
Two PW shakes spaced apart... ok... now finally that makes sense because I've been thinking about that actually. I can't do whey as I'm lactose intolerant... so I'm thinking my CFM will have to do. Thank you

THE STORM
In your case then I would do BCAA's right after and the CFM at the 10-20 minute mark bro. that should help u

What would be the advantges of using your PWO nutritrition instead of my usual slin +5min 150g Dextrose, 5g creatine and 75g hydro whey all in one shake. Respect.

well if you are using slin then your gonna need the extra carbs for sure.

the advantage of mine vs urs is that mine is a lot leaner and safer. However I can't compete with superphysiological insulin levels.

TheGame46 said:
well if you are using slin then your gonna need the extra carbs for sure.

the advantage of mine vs urs is that mine is a lot leaner and safer. However I can't compete with superphysiological insulin levels.

So yours would be a better protocal for pre-competition when I would not be using slin. Thanks.

!berserker said:
"Whey will absorb 80-90% and isolate will absorb about 90-99% and mixes can offer 100%."

Are there any studies to support this?

god damnit

why do some guys need to talk like this ?

I mean c'mon, the game doesn't post shit like that without knowing what he is talking about :mad:

no ass licking here but DAAAMMMMMNNNNNN

mike1107 said:
god damnit

why do some guys need to talk like this ?

I mean c'mon, the game doesn't post shit like that without knowing what he is talking about :mad:

no ass licking here but DAAAMMMMMNNNNNN

How do we know what he is saying is true----If he is going by experience and puts an opinion out then thats one thing, but if he is putting a number or % on something then he should be able to show whey it came from.

I'm on several boards and to be honest I don't know him from a ham sandwhich, being able to show where you got the information in a day and age where anyone can pretend to be anyone is important.

With newer products out there, Dextrose is a non issue as there are better products now. Just my $.02

What about a huge steak with some white or red potatoes???? Sorry, but if I can get to some whole food then supps are out the door.

Not sure I'd go with steak as it's hard to digest. The closest 'whole' food to whey powder would have to be eggwhites! Potato's are good (white) and throw in a banana for even qiucker Slin response! I actually use this exact protocol as my 2nd post workout meal, about 45 mins after my whey and dextrose!
JD~

Newest science says WPH + dextrose + leucine (an amino acid). I drink one throughout the workout, then chug a second shake afterwards.

Read about it here:

**broken link removed**

Leucine is very good because it is the initial trigger of protein synthesis. What about casein whey...does anyone know the absorbtion rate of this? It has a longer breakdown period and provides AA's over a longer duration than straight whey? I was thinking of throwing this into the pwo shake when I get some more cash and also take it beofre bed. As of now I am taking 20-30 grams protein pre workout, and 30-40 grams whey pwo + 80g dextrose + 5g creatine mono + 5g glutamine. If people need to choose between taking a pwo shake or a pre workout shake, take one pre workout. Numerous studies from the University I am from have shown that androgen receptor content on the sarcomere is increased more following a pro/carb meal before workouts. Less so with pro/carb pwo and no change in content with no supplementation. So to get the best then before and after pro/carb should be taken!!! However, when taking pro/carb pre workout you do not want fast digesting carbs!!! This will cause an insuling spike as everyone knows and will pull the serum glucose levels way down, causing a 'down' effect.

I wasn't going to touch this but you DID mention something which HAS been studied and documented! Consumption of a Protein / carb meal before training DOES significantly help with post W/O recovery but I disagree with your analysis on ingesting simple carbs pre-workout! Second, I'm not sure what you mean about "Casein Whey"? They are two proteins with very different properties! Opposite, as a matter of fact! Whey is best before and after training sessions(metabolized quickly) and Casein is best utilized before bed(metabolized slowly).
JD~

STEEDA69 said:
I'm not sure what you mean about "Casein Whey"? They are two proteins with very different properties! Opposite, as a matter of fact! Whey is best before and after training sessions(metabolized quickly) and Casein is best utilized before bed(metabolized slowly).
JD~

Thanks for the clarification...I never realized that they were two diff words...proteins I figured, but I wasn't aware that it was just casein...thanks for the update. And the simple carb ingestion is just a medical fact...some people don't have the 'down' effect at all, but it does cause your body to pull glucose from the blood...I just don't do it...many may be fine and do it all the time.

simple carbs preworkout are fine, not only will you have blood sugar increased from the carbs digested, but your body will counteract the insulin effect just fine. You would need supraphsyioligcal levels of insulin to decrease the bodies ability to utilize glycogen stores during a workout.

ingestion of carbs doesn't illicit the insulin release its the level of blood sugar, so as soon as that level drops, insulin release stops and glucagon is released releasing glucose from the glycogen storage. :p

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131