over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mbps download and upload speeds

Knight9

Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I just got high speed cable here and my computer is registering the following..

On my new phone I am getting 25.75-28.5 down and 6 up.
On my computer that is not new I am getting... 7-10.5 down and 5 up.

What the hell do I do to optimize this laptops performance in getting the most out of my high speed internet?

What speed does your service provider say you are supposed to have?

Up to 25mbps

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Does your phone have WiFi & does it get the speed your supposed to?

Internet speeds can be deceiving, 15mbps is usually burst if that's what the cable provider is stating is the speed. It's advertising bullshit. It will not keep that speed up, actually the more you download or upload the slower your connection will be. Business class internet is guranteed throughput and will keep the rated speed, that's why it costs so much more(a 1.5mb connection costs 100$ or more). On your phone the the connection is faster but it's not as consistent and it is definitely throttled more. The speed gives you an idea of what the line is capable of but doesn't really equate to performance.

More hand grenades please.

Last edited:
Internet speeds can be deceiving, 15mbps is usually burst if that's what the cable provider is stating is the speed. It's advertising bullshit. It will not keep that speed up, actually the more you download or upload the slower your connection will be. Business class internet is guranteed throughput and will keep the rated speed, that's why it costs so much more(a 1.5mb connection costs 100$ or more). On your phone the the connection is faster but it's not as consistent and it is definitely throttled more. The speed gives you an idea of what the line is capable of but doesn't really equate to performance.

More hand grenades please.

Seems to me my phone is reading accurately and the computer I'm using is prohibiting me from optimal speeds for some reason.

Seems to me my phone is reading accurately and the computer I'm using is prohibiting me from optimal speeds for some reason.

You need to see what WiFi protocol your laptop is using. You could have a router that is giving a wireless N signal but your laptop might only have a B card.

Your difference may be MBps as opposed to Mbps. The capital B stands for bytes as opposed to small b means bits. There are 8 bits to a byte. Could this be your issue?

Ok four years ago wirless N was not as popular so i think the guys hit it on the head. Your router is probally wirless ABGN and your phone which most likely is connected at wireless N will get faster speeds than your laptop which is provally connected to wirless G. That being said, right click on my computer and go to your hardware manader, look for your wirless card under network adapters, right click properties and it will give you all the info on that card and tell you the specs. Knoght, if this is the case, you are going to have to upgrade your internal card but i recommend getting an external card or wirless N dongle that attaches to the USB slot. Hope this helps brotha!

-Baseline

When you buy a speed that says "up to x" its completely possible you will never get the highest rated speed. Depends where you live and time of day, you are basically sharing bandwidth with all your neighbors.

As others said, could be the wireless. Plug directly into the router with an Ethernet cable and see if the performance improves. If it does, you know it's your wireless setup. You can remedy the situation by getting a usb wireless adapter with the latest protocols. Also if your router is ancient upgrade that too.

What speed does your service provider say you are supposed to have?

I get 75mbps, for $80/month, and thats not even the fastest.. It does kick ass on downloads. Before dowloads used to take me 45min to a hour. Now its under 2mins.. Worth the money

I have 40 Mbps up 20 up with 950gb available at month. Best of all. It's for my phone. Those plans for companies are sick. About 15 USD monthly.

I'm in Colombia

You need to see what WiFi protocol your laptop is using. You could have a router that is giving a wireless N signal but your laptop might only have a B card.

This is most likely it. Everything should be N protocol, or better yet, AB. Your laptop is probably using an older network adapter chipset and probably a pre-N standard (lower max throughput). This is why your newer phone is performing better and hitting the cap. Upstream is always capped lower. Time for a new $300 laptop, they're so cheap now.

Last edited:
It could be the wireless adapter on your laptop may be outdated, and is currently running at the max speed the hardware is capable of. You can purchase a new adapter for your laptop, just make sure to note the capabilities of your router, and match the adapter to it.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws