over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fructose and liver glycogen

kingpeon

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Does anyone know how many grams of fructose you'd have to consume in order to replenish liver glycogen after a five day carbohydrate fast?

Cyclic low-carb is great but overeating fructose to break the fast doesn't interest me.

Any help is greatly appreciated

This is something id be interested in knowing. I remember years ago reading that fructose goes to replenish liver glycogen rather than muscle glycogen, where I guess glucose only replenishes muscle glycogen? So coming out of a fast, would it be less than ideal to consume carbs pre-workout, than say glucose?

So coming out of a fast, would it be less than ideal to consume carbs pre-workout, than say glucose?
Could you rephrase this?

Say we have been fasting for 16 hours or so. We are goin to train legs in 1 hour, and want to get some carbs and protein in pre-workout.

We will have whey. Can we combine it with fruit as our carb choice? Or is fruit a bad choice since it will only replenish our liver glycogen and not our muscle glycogen for our workout sessions. If the fruit will only replenish liver glycogen, I would think that it would be a poor choice and we should have something like oats instead.

Other sugar sources replenish liver glycogen as well.

Say we have been fasting for 16 hours or so. We are goin to train legs in 1 hour, and want to get some carbs and protein in pre-workout.

We will have whey. Can we combine it with fruit as our carb choice? Or is fruit a bad choice since it will only replenish our liver glycogen and not our muscle glycogen for our workout sessions. If the fruit will only replenish liver glycogen, I would think that it would be a poor choice and we should have something like oats instead.
Okay, yeah you'd want a fruit that's low in fructose I'd imagine

We need some of the well educated members here to pipe in

I ran a ckd before and the plan included one apple pre training at the end of the week before the carb up began after a higher reps and sets workout to deplete glycogen stores.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Have your fruit preworkout. Fruit has both glucose as well as fructose. The ratio of each sugar contained in fruit varies by species but it usually 50/50. I much prefer to eat an apple or orange preworkout than candy, grits, oats or rice. Its nutritious and easy on the stomach and its wont hinder your preformance..esp with bbing.

I ran a ckd before and the plan included one apple pre training at the end of the week before the carb up began after a higher reps and sets workout to deplete glycogen stores.

what is ckd?

For most, about fifty to a hundred grams, but remember that different fruits have different levels of fructose. If you're carb depleted and/or very physically active, though, it's not really a huge concern. Enjoy your fruit.

If you really wanted to know you'd spent 2 second to google it. But of course you just want to post-whore to 50 :eek:

I did spend "2 second" to google it and all that came up was Chronic Kidney Disease which doesn't fit within the context of butch15's post. So go fly a kite and chill out before making assumptions.

I did spend "2 second" to google it and all that came up was Chronic Kidney Disease which doesn't fit within the context of butch15's post. So go fly a kite and chill out before making assumptions.
Cyclic Ketogenic Diet

For most, about fifty to a hundred grams, but remember that different fruits have different levels of fructose. If you're carb depleted and/or very physically active, though, it's not really a huge concern. Enjoy your fruit.

That's right around what I've been consuming, usually by medjool dates or raisins followed by mango Naked Juice, all very concentrated in fructose.

The concern is to quickly refill the liver with as much glycogen as it requires, which has been depleted by the five days of no fructose or any substantial carbs at all for that matter, then move on to other sources for the remainder of the carb up.

If only 100 grams of fructose is needed to accomplish this then there's no reason to keep eating this type of food and I can focus on replenishing muscle glycogen instead.

Searching 'CKD bodybuilding' would have saved you the flaming bullshit my brother

So what did this accomplish for your carb load?

THIS!

Have your fruit preworkout. Fruit has both glucose as well as fructose. The ratio of each sugar contained in fruit varies by species but it usually 50/50. I much prefer to eat an apple or orange preworkout than candy, grits, oats or rice. Its nutritious and easy on the stomach and its wont hinder your preformance..esp with bbing.

well said! my thoughts exactly
-F

Fructose goes first to liver glycogen but once liver glycogen is full excess fructose will convert and go to muscle glycogen. Besides, liver glycogen is extremely beneficial for a wide variety of metabolic/anabolic functions, and as someone already stated, most fruit (and most types of sugar) are around 50% glucose 50% fructose.

Last edited:
Fructose goes first to liver glycogen but once liver glycogen is full excess fructose will convert and go to muscle glycogen. Besides, liver glycogen is extremely beneficial for a wide variety of metabolic/anabolic functions, and as someone already stated, most fruit (and most types of sugar) are around 50% glucose 50% fructose.

I don't have anything useful to add just to people that they shouldn't be scared of fruit :D Even when cutting I fill many days with a variety of low carb fruits. When I don't need to watch calories so much I can play about more with fruit choices and quantity. Even on keto I use small amounts of certain berries (high fibre and low net carb) in my salads/greens.

All that is pretty useless to the thread though. Kingpeon I am a big fan of medjool dates. Can't think of a better high carb source for easy eating. Literally loaded in natural sugar and a fav of mine around training especially when using fast acting insulin.

All that is pretty useless to the thread though. Kingpeon I am a big fan of medjool dates. Can't think of a better high carb source for easy eating. Literally loaded in natural sugar and a fav of mine around training especially when using fast acting insulin.
Yeah man, I eat about half a kilo of them every 'carb breakfast', absolutely delicious and I never get tired of them. Very rich though

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131