over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Kidney Function?

warlock

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hi,

I recently got blood work done and, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about kidney function. Here are the values:

Bun-25 (range 6-24)
Creatinine-1.29 (range 0.76-1.27)
eGFR-68 (range >59 mL/min/1.73)
BUN/Creatinine Ratio-19 (range 9-20)
Albumin-4.1 (range 3.5-5.5)

If it helps, I did train the day before. I also supplement with creatine. I drank close 400-450ml of water prior to labs.

Should I be concerned? Any suggestions?

Hoping some of you can chime in. Thanks

Hi,

I recently got blood work done and, I'm not sure if I should be concerned about kidney function. Here are the values:

Bun-25 (range 6-24)

If it helps, I did train the day before. I also supplement with creatine. I drank close 400-450ml of water prior to labs.

I would not worry.

Hi,

Bun-25 (range 6-24)

It's the creatine. Also, people with higher levels of muscle mass will create more Urea/nitrogen and creatinine since they are byproducts of skeletal muscle metabolism.

Your levels look great for someone on creatine, especially if dietary protein is high and you are muscular.

The reason you see GFR and "African" GFR is because Africans tend to have more muscle on average and also produce more creatinine. They test GFR by looking at creatinine/BUN because poor kidney function leads to higher serum levels of these metabolites in the blood, but they can be artificially elevated if you eat lots of protein/supplement creatine, are dehydrated, or very muscular.

Last edited:
My BUN is always a point or two high. If I take a full week off from training, it returns to normal. No worries!

Why worried? Your numbers are fine

It's the creatine. Also, people with higher levels of muscle mass will create more Urea/nitrogen and creatinine since they are byproducts of skeletal muscle metabolism.

Your levels look great for someone on creatine, especially if dietary protein is high and you are muscular.

The reason you see GFR and "African" GFR is because Africans tend to have more muscle on average and also produce more creatinine. They test GFR by looking at creatinine/BUN because poor kidney function leads to higher serum levels of these metabolites in the blood, but they can be artificially elevated if you eat lots of protein/supplement creatine, are dehydrated, or very muscular.

should caucasian bodybuilders go by the african american GFR due to the muscle mass?

should caucasian bodybuilders go by the african american GFR due to the muscle mass?

Awesome question, i always tell them to go by the African GFR and use it for myself as well. More muscle and higher protein intake = high urea/nitrogen/creatinine.

"The normal range of urea nitrogen in blood or serum is 5 to 20 mg/dl, or 1.8 to 7.1 mmol urea per liter. The range is wide because of normal variations due to protein intake, endogenous protein catabolism, state of hydration, hepatic urea synthesis, and renal urea excretion."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK305/

In this case I would utilize Cystatin-C. There's less likelihood of skewed interference (hydration status, muscle mass, prior exercise, protein intake, Ace inhibitor, ect) outside of the use of GH and thyroid hormones.

In this case I would utilize Cystatin-C. There's less likelihood of skewed interference (hydration status, muscle mass, prior exercise, protein intake, Ace inhibitor, ect) outside of the use of GH and thyroid hormones.

Microalbumin levels can also be checked as well

"Scys (Cystatin) alone provides GFR estimates that are nearly as accurate as Scr adjusted for age, sex and race thus providing an alternative GFR estimate that is not linked to muscle mass. An equation including Scys in combination with Scr, age, sex and race provide most accurate estimates."

Stewie with the slam dunk :)

Last edited:
Cystatine c is supposed to be more reliable for athletes
Last blood work :
Urea 13mmol/l above range 7,4mmol/l
Cystatine c 0,73mmol/l range 0,62 to 1,11.. The lowest I have ever been even when my Urea was in range and gfr at 90 (my max so far)
Forgot to ask for creatinine this time time... Usually above range though
Trained legs the day before after 3 weeks break

Sent from my EML-L29 using Professional Muscle mobile app

Stewie and BB constantly dropping helpful medical bombs

Good stuff

Awesome question, i always tell them to go by the African GFR and use it for myself as well. More muscle and higher protein intake = high urea/nitrogen/creatinine.

"The normal range of urea nitrogen in blood or serum is 5 to 20 mg/dl, or 1.8 to 7.1 mmol urea per liter. The range is wide because of normal variations due to protein intake, endogenous protein catabolism, state of hydration, hepatic urea synthesis, and renal urea excretion."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK305/

Interesting. I always ignored the African American number prior to this.

Warlock, training the day before probably skewed the numbers a bit. Try to give yourself 2-3 full days off before blood work next time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I freaked out for a second, only because those values tend to be in better range and when I saw the BUN and CREATININE higher than usual, I panicked.

I feel better now after reading all the comments :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I freaked out for a second, only because those values tend to be in better range and when I saw the BUN and CREATININE higher than usual, I panicked.

I think it's more than likely the lack of time in between training and the blood draw. Happens all the time.

My numbers look like yours. I stop training 3 days before the test. Cut out creatine and drop protein intake down and hammer the water. Now my numbers always come back in to range. I have done this a few times now to where I dont care anymore because I know my kidneys are fine and just continue on with my routine before blood tests.

^ i do the same but ... I have always wondered if I’m lying to myself w the results.

Why? Well, if my normal life routine is higher amounts of protein (not horrible at 150-200g).... and I train almost daily ....and I use creatine almost daily .....

Then wouldn’t I want to know the actual values and kidney stress based on how I actually live my life daily/regularly?

BB & Stewie .... help !!

^ i do the same but ... I have always wondered if I’m lying to myself w the results.

Why? Well, if my normal life routine is higher amounts of protein (not horrible at 150-200g).... and I train almost daily ....and I use creatine almost daily .....

Then wouldn’t I want to know the actual values and kidney stress based on how I actually live my life daily/regularly?

BB & Stewie .... help !!

Like stewie said, Cystatin test won't be affected by that stuff like GFR measurement is. Microalbumin levels can also test for kidney dysfunction. GFR test is actually "estimated" GFR. They are assuming your GFR from looking at creatinine/BUN. Sometimes you will see it as "eGFR" in the actual lab results.

Creatinine/BUN are just metabolites of skeletal muscle metabolism and other processes in the body. It's assumed that if those levels are very high, that your kidneys are not filtering it out, but this is not always the case.

The two biggest causes of kidney disease are 1. Chronically elevated blood pressure 2. Chronically elevated blood sugar. These are the two most common reasons you see people on renal dialysis.

Other causes are virus/bacteria infection that permanently destroy kidneys cells or physical trauma to the kidneys themselves.

Hypothyroidism also decreases kidney function, but this can be alleviated by restoring optimal thyroid activity. Hyperthyroidism has the opposite effect and increases kidney function and GFR.

Last edited:
Like stewie said, Cystatin test won't be affected by that stuff like GFR measurement is. Microalbumin levels can also test for kidney dysfunction. GFR test is actually "estimated" GFR. They are assuming your GFR from looking at creatinine/BUN. Sometimes you will see it as "eGFR" in the actual lab results.

Creatinine/BUN are just metabolites of skeletal muscle metabolism and other processes in the body. It's assumed that if those levels are very high, that your kidneys are not filtering it out, but this is not always the case.

The two biggest causes of kidney disease are 1. Chronically elevated blood pressure 2. Chronically elevated blood sugar. These are the two most common reasons you see people on renal dialysis.

Other causes are virus/bacteria infection that permanently destroy kidneys cells or physical trauma to the kidneys themselves.

Hypothyroidism also decreases kidney function, but this can be alleviated by restoring optimal thyroid activity. Hyperthyroidism has the opposite effect and increases kidney function and GFR.

Interesting as this applies to myself!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner