over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Should I eat Tilapia?

AN3M4L

Registered
I've heard that there is some bad rep around Tilapia is this true. It's lean protein and i can get it very cheap and would like an alternative to chicken breast, e.white, and tuna. Is the bad rep just bs. Thanks in advance

I've heard that there is some bad rep around Tilapia is this true. It's lean protein and i can get it very cheap and would like an alternative to chicken breast, e.white, and tuna. Is the bad rep just bs. Thanks in advance

i love it personally.

IMO it is fine bro..go for it

thanks guys. I'm about to pick up 40 pounds of it tomorrow

The only problem with tilapia is that it is high in omega 6 and not omega 3. if you can get the rest of your EFA's elsewhere tilapia is a great source of protein.

As far as I know, Tuna is the stuff that gets a bad rep (mercury). Supposedly, you're not supposed to eat more than 3 cans per week.

I love Talapia...whats the bad rap you heard of this fish?

I love Talapia...whats the bad rap you heard of this fish?

I think it was a "study" done that said Tilapia raises the risk of (fill in ridiculous disease here) because of the LACK of EFA's when COMPARED to other fish... which basically means 99.9% of all food has the same risk.

A guy like Shelby would have the answer to this.

I don’t eat Tilapia, it is a bottom feeder and here in Florida is an invasive species.
I like fish that has color to them , like red snapper and the like.
I know .. I know! For many years now they have been pushing them on us.
My Wife brings them home from Sams club now and them because their easy, only to have me bitch about them.
When you open the bag it smells musty .
Fish suppose to have a fresh smell to them.
I guess if that is all you got then eat it.

I've truly cleaned hundreds of the darm things.
They have mud in the stomachs .
And they smell muddy/funky when you clean them.
I can’t get them pass my nose much less in my mouth.
We catch them with cast nets in lakes that they have over run .
I usually get them when my Masonic lodge when is having a charity fish fry.
I reckon with the right seasoning and hush puppies you could deep fry a cow patty and make it taste good.
But, if that is all you can get I understand. Its poor folks food around here.
I have a place on the gulf that we spend weekends at , so I guess I’m kinda spoiled to good fish.
I'm sure you guys can get grouper where your at right ?
You can get it a Sams as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tilapia has very low levels of mercury because it is a fast growing and short lived fish that mostly eats a vegetarian diet.

Farm raised tilapia has very low levels of omega-3, the primary fatty-acid nutrient doctors recommend when eating fish. Farm raised tilapia also has high levels of omega-6 fatty acids. A diet with a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is suspected to cause inflammation, which can be dangerous for those with heart conditions. It is not clear if this poor ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is due to the inexpensive corn and/or soy based diets typically fed to farm raised Tilapia, the natural fatty acid levels of Tilapia, or a combination of the two that results in less than desirable fatty acid ratio levels.

Red Snapper
**broken link removed**
Tilapia
https://businessafrica.net/africabiz/images/farm_tilapia.jpg

I tilapia are one of those farmed fish that has been put out because overfishing of specials like cod. 20 years ago americans would never eat them because they would have never heard of them.

Tilapia are indigenous to africa, they are a kind of Cichlid. They can thrive even on low quality feed and are a threat to a lot of indigenous fish in the countries they are farmed (some southern states, S and central america). Because they are so easy to cultivate they are a prime target for recent aquaculture initiatives.

Tilapia is pretty neutral in flavor. Honestly from an ethical perspective I think they are both good and bad. Good because they alleviate the overfishing of our oceans, bad because they can overrun native fish populations if released into the wild. You can never win apparently...

Are they bad for you? No.

Nasty tasting fish imo. Much rather would eat coho salmon, sockeye, king, rockfish, or even catfish before touching talapia. Makes me cringe just thinking of the stuff. I think the Kroger talapia is straight up farmed fish from China.

Tilapia....shit. My wife eats these little fuckers. Years ago I worked with a marine pathobiologist. With use to do alot of forensic work. You wouldn't believe what happens to fish when they're farm raised, piscine tuberculosis, encapsulated worms and the like. I don't eat any farm raised fish. A nasty animal raised because of the increase in the 3rd world population in America (no offense, my wife is 3rd world.) Americans would never eaten this just a few years back...make nice pets though, no shit.:p

Your better of with fresh tuna or salmon. Fresh tuna makes the best tunafish salad.

How does tilapia compare to the dolphin tuna they sell in a can.. tuna fish...

Anything that is fresh or fresh frozen will be better for you then anything in a can. I was saying fresh tuna steaks, cooking them yourself and making the salad. Talapia is good when fresh but I would rather have the tuna. I'm spoiled, I have a house on the bay.

Glad I checked this board as I almost posted the same question. Not a big fish fan but see everyone stressing tuna,salmon,etc. and came home with Tilapia as it's kind of tasteless. What is the negative of a high omega-6 content as I'm a newb ?

Tilapia is one of the only fish I can stand. I get the frozen ones from sam's club, or eat it out when I go to fish markets. I have tried salmon and other fish, but the only time I can keep salmon down is in a cream cheese spread that isnt the healthiest.

Is there any fish that is similar to tilapia that is "fishy" tasting?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear