over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Chicken bones and dogs

tonka

Registered
Hello PM family,

Anyone with experience with their dogs eating or in my case swallowing a whole chicken bone (drumstick).

I have a 5 month yr old houndmix, roughly 28 lb. This past Saturday I was bbqing with some friends and he jumped on the table and got a whole drumstick bone and swallowed it in a matter of seconds.

The next day he had an episode of vomitting but nothing came out. Went to the vet and the doc said we can wait and see, or get x ray to see inside the stomach.
Our options wouldn't have differed so my gf and I decided to wait it out.

He's been acting normal, ate his food, normal bowel movements up until this morning he has been having diarrhea.

Anyone else with experiences with their dogs eating chicken bones?

ya i got a golden mix that gets the runs and throws up when he snaggs a bone.he cant even have beef bones from the pet store.don't worry,remember dogs ate animals for thousands of years. and by the way while we're talking about what dogs eat i now now they will be fine after eating a citronella candle

Should clear up in a day or so. My chocolate lab got a hold of my sock ate it and shit it out

I give mine RAW chicken quarters, and sometimes whole chicken. and skinless turkey necks. It is part of the raw type of diet that i feed.

But would never do it cooked.

cooked bones=risk of it cutting an organ inside.

uncooked/raw chicken bones= soft

cooked = sharp

I give mine RAW chicken quarters, and sometimes whole chicken. and skinless turkey necks. It is part of the raw type of diet that i feed.

But would never do it cooked.

cooked bones=risk of it cutting an organ inside.

uncooked/raw chicken bones= soft

cooked = sharp

This! Cooked bones splinter and you can guess the rest. I feed my Presa chicken necks and backs.

Chicken bones is the worse bones u can give your dog.when the bones get broken they can have the sharpest splinter point and get lodged into there throat or intestines and have internal bleeding.and if it bypasses those two u still run the risk of injuries in the rectum when they try to pass it.i seen it first hand.not worth the risk.u want the dog to chew on the bone and work his teeth and savor it .they love that.what's the use on him or her chewing it and in five seconds to swallow it

Last edited:
TIL to stay on the safe side and just don't give your dog any bones...unless it's from pets-mart?

It helps to know your dig. Mine isn't a gulper so she eats chicken bones cooked and raw. If it helps my dog is 12 and I've never had a problem.

Splintered bones are not a threat once in the stomach. Acids destroy these bones fast.

Lol at salmonella. Salmonella is a dogs stomachs bitch.

If your dog gets the runs from bones its usually because they're not accustomed to the richness of marrow. Most dogs eat a very bland diet.

It helps to know your dig. Mine isn't a gulper so she eats chicken bones cooked and raw. If it helps my dog is 12 and I've never had a problem.

Splintered bones are not a threat once in the stomach. Acids destroy these bones fast.

Lol at salmonella. Salmonella is a dogs stomachs bitch.

If your dog gets the runs from bones its usually because they're not accustomed to the richness of marrow. Most dogs eat a very bland diet.

Lol u can give nasty spoiled meat or whatever and they won't get sick of it.they truly are terminators

Thanks for the reply everyone.

So far, he's been acting normal. Eating, drinking, pooing all normal.

Vet said it may take up to a month to be out of the woods. She had mention to us that she had seen bones that were still in a dog's stomach for up to 1 month.

-T

Raw chicken has salmonella.

Dog dont get salmonella unless they are very unhealthy to begin with.

You do realize that kibble is dried up burned food that kills all the healthy enzymes and nutrients right? Not to mention loaded with preservatives to allow the food to be left out and still be good enough for dogs to eat an also increase its shelf life.

Kibble is garbage. This is why kibble fed dogs have nasty teeth . Put a raw chicken meat outside and put a cup of kibble. What wil happen? The kibble will be left untouched, with ants. The meat will be gone. That should tell you something. Animals in the wild wont even touch the kibble...

Raw is a clean source of food. Much better for dogs. they wont get salamella. Hell your dog can proboably eat road kill and still be ok. The only thing that would effect it is the nasty parasites in road kill, not the spoiled meat. Of a dead road kill chicken that has been outsid for 2 days.

Tons of people feed raw and not 1 has ever got salamella on the dog forums

Last edited:
Cooked chicken bones are one of the absolute worst things scruffy can eat.

Raw bones will not hurt the dog. What can happen is tje dog can give you kisses and pass the salmanella (sp?), along to you.

It's a crap shoot. Most of the time they are going to be able to digest the cooked bones without any life threatening complications, but you just never know.

My dog had stomach issues for the first year while we switched up using different sorts of high end kibble. As soon as we switched to raw food, every issue was resolved. After a year of liquid shits, 2 days later solid turds! Lol.

Raw bones are fine and we usually buy a box of raw chicken backs to give our dog as a snack. Otherwise we buy patties that are either ground up beef or chicken (includes bones and organs) and it has fruit and veg mixed in with it. Cooked bones splinter and that's where the issues come into play...like others have said. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371051080.127345.jpg

I've fed all my dogs a raw meat diet bone included and have never had an issues with illness or bones hurting them. I've never actualy seen a doe have any issues with eating a cooked chicken bone either but theirs only been a hand full of times i've seen one get them.
Any time we butcher anything I gove my dogs the leg bones and they hang around from weeks till all the meat and knuckles are eaten off , some of the smaller forleg bones get eaten completly. We even give them alot of whole raw fish as well.

I'd just keey an eye on your pooch and make sure eveything seems normal , check the stool sample for blood or fragments though

Bones are ok if they are raw, i feed my dog a raw diet:D

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Your dog will be fine as nothing got stuck in its throat. Our beagle always tries to get bones out of the trash and succeeded a few times. The first time it scared us, and we called the vet, to find out she will get rewarded by having to overfeed it for a few days to make sure it all passes well. We gave our beagle three cans of dog food a day for four days, and no problems ensued.

Like others have stated to just keep on eye on how the dog is feeling and the stools!

~ Gusto

I don't give my dogs any type of bones anymore. Even the rawhides I stopped. Every now and then they got stuck in my dogs throats. Scared me a few times. Plus they don't digest well, if at all. Not healthy at all in my opinion.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Bio

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner