over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DC style training

Slowmoe

Registered
This has been covered several times, but the more I search and read the more confused I get, as the info is kind of everywhere. So I'm going to try to narrow this way down so I can simplify the answers as much as possible.

Let's say I am just doing chest today. What would a typical DC style chest workout look like?

I trained DC for a while and made great gains, or at least to my understanding of DC so I could be wrong here too lmao but here it is;

You pick 1 exercise for Chest, say incline bench press on smitch machine (as you will be going to failure)..

1-2 warm up sets with 135lbs, 15 easy reps or so..

185lbs x 10 reps nice and slow..

225lbs x 8 reps (this is already supposed to be very difficult, not an easy 8)

Take 3 deep breaths and go again for 2-3 reps (you’re dying on these but continue very slowly)

Take 3 more deep breaths and go again 1-2 reps (you’re literally seeing stars and dying)

And if you have someone there to help you, they can assist you on the positive and you do a few more negatives SUPER slow until you literally can’t hold the weight....

Chest workout complete lol...

The only place to look is the official home of DC training. That’s found on intensemuscle

If I recall correctly, you take 10-15 deep breaths for the rest-pauzes. Only 3 would get you close to not being able to do a single extra rep after taking the first part to failure.

Slowmoe,

Not to offend NEMSZ, but they are incorrect. If you are confused because of the numerous threads and posts acros multiple boards; read this. This is Nate Green's interview with Scott McDonough. This is as straightforward as it's going to get for information in one location.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/how-to-build-50-pounds-of-muscle-in-12-months

Really because Dante explains it almost exactly as I explained it in his article with Simplyshredded...

As many warm ups as needed. Then work your way up to a weight you can do about 6-8x that’s really heavy and do rest pause your rest pause sets for reps ranging from 12-15. Super slow and you can do negatives at the end if you have someone to help... Complete muscle failure and the point is to progress in weight or reps each workout...

If I recall correctly, you take 10-15 deep breaths for the rest-pauzes. Only 3 would get you close to not being able to do a single extra rep after taking the first part to failure.

Well it’s called a “rest pause” lol

I just read the article and yea idk where I got 3 deep breaths “or so” from.. Maybe I misinterpreted and thought 10-15 seconds max.. lol

Guess I might have pushed myself more than I needed to :eek: but 15 deep breathes can take 20 seconds of rest at least unless you’re hyperventilating.. Idk but to me that’s just plain resting lol you’re not doing the same set at that point...

But whatever... I got strong as fuck lol

Last edited:
Think of it like this, the primary objective is to bring the muscle to failure within the fewest number of sets possible. If one working set of bench press brings your chest to TOTAL failure, you win. For most of us, we cant fathom that much intensity every week, so we spread out 2-6 working sets per muscle group. Its crazy when you walk in with the mind set "I have one set to beat last weeks numbers" then go berserk, with multi sets you can't keep up that level. Ive got sample workouts from the last two weeks in my log of my adaptation of DC.

Last edited:
Well it’s called a “rest pause” lol

I just read the article and yea idk where I got 3 deep breaths “or so” from.. Maybe I misinterpreted and thought 10-15 seconds max.. lol

Guess I might have pushed myself more than I needed to :eek: but 15 deep breathes can take 20 seconds of rest at least unless you’re hyperventilating.. Idk but to me that’s just plain resting lol you’re not doing the same set at that point...

But whatever... I got strong as fuck lol

Sorry NEMSZ but whatever simplyshredded crappy website you got it off is completely wrong. You can type in Cycles for Pennies right now on Google and get Dante's exact words. This shit IS NOT hard to find guys.

DC, in its original split, had no chest day.
It's a hard 9-11 reps on a compound chest movement - 15ish breathes....go back at it...maybe you get 6....15ish breathes....go back at it again. Add those 3 numbers together. That's your RP set. Next time (remember we rotate compound chest movements) you come to that exercise, beat that number.

I'd go find some Dusty Hanshaw videos or go do a deep dive into IntenseMuscle.

Sorry NEMSZ but whatever simplyshredded crappy website you got it off is completely wrong. You can type in Cycles for Pennies right now on Google and get Dante's exact words. This shit IS NOT hard to find guys.

DC, in its original split, had no chest day.
It's a hard 9-11 reps on a compound chest movement - 15ish breathes....go back at it...maybe you get 6....15ish breathes....go back at it again. Add those 3 numbers together. That's your RP set. Next time (remember we rotate compound chest movements) you come to that exercise, beat that number.

I'd go find some Dusty Hanshaw videos or go do a deep dive into IntenseMuscle.

Ummm it was an article/interview of/with Dante Trudel... Soooooooooo....

And he’s given several different layouts of what he would do with a DC split... Maybe it’s not the original but it’s definitely from him unless he can come on here and confirm he never gave that interview...

Literally the only thing I got wrong was instead of 15 breaths I put “3 breaths” lol

OP was asking what a cheat workout would look like DC style...

I wrote the warm up sets and the rest pause.. It’s only one exercise per body part to failure, with rest pause.. Is it not?

The Simplyshredded link is just a copy of Dante's interview with Greg Merritt from the September 2006 issue of FLEX. I know because I have it. Jay Cutler is on the cover. Dante was articulate in answering Greg's questions, but I feel the one between Nate and Scott is more detailed, which is why I posted it.

The problem with Cycles for Pennies is it might confuse Slowmoe, which is the issue he seems to be having. There are some things in Cycles for Pennies that are outdated and might confuse him more.

Dusty is on an advanced split, but his videos are great for showing the kind of intensity you need to have for the program.

IntenseMuscle is still the official board for info on DC Training, but between multiple threads, lots of questions, users training journals, recommendations for the 34+ trainee etc one could still get confused.

That t-nation article is from 2009, but that is the most up to date and clear cut version for someone who has never done it, knows nothing about it, and wants to try it.

The Simplyshredded link is just a copy of Dante's interview with Greg Merritt from the September 2006 issue of FLEX. I know because I have it. Jay Cutler is on the cover. Dante was articulate in answering Greg's questions, but I feel the one between Nate and Scott is more detailed, which is why I posted it.

The problem with Cycles for Pennies is it might confuse Slowmoe, which is the issue he seems to be having. There are some things in Cycles for Pennies that are outdated and might confuse him more.

Dusty is on an advanced split, but his videos are great for showing the kind of intensity you need to have for the program.

IntenseMuscle is still the official board for info on DC Training, but between multiple threads, lots of questions, users training journals, recommendations for the 34+ trainee etc one could still get confused.

That t-nation article is from 2009, but that is the most up to date and clear cut version for someone who has never done it, knows nothing about it, and wants to try it.

Agree with this. I switch between DC and Meadow’s splits and always go back to T nation when I need a refresher. It’s really not that complicated but some
People make it so.

Ok so what I tried today felt good. I did one warm up set followed by one hard 8 rep set. Took 10 breaths then went to failure, straining on the last positive for about 5 seconds, took 10 breaths then kept on till complete failure in the first rep: took about 5 sets total. Forgot how many reps though. Next time I count the reps, then try to beat that number the next week. That is the gist, correct?

Ok so what I tried today felt good. I did one warm up set followed by one hard 8 rep set. Took 10 breaths then went to failure, straining on the last positive for about 5 seconds, took 10 breaths then kept on till complete failure in the first rep: took about 5 sets total. Forgot how many reps though. Next time I count the reps, then try to beat that number the next week. That is the gist, correct?

No, it's not correct...............

Take a weight, rep until failure, rack and rest for 10-15 breaths, another set until failure, rack and rest for 10-15 breaths, one more set to failure............

It's not keep doing sets until you can't get a rep on a set.........You may get one rep on that third set, you may get more..........

No, it's not correct...............

Take a weight, rep until failure, rack and rest for 10-15 breaths, another set until failure, rack and rest for 10-15 breaths, one more set to failure............

It's not keep doing sets until you can't get a rep on a set.........You may get one rep on that third set, you may get more..........

He almost got it lol

As a matter of fact, you didn’t even explain it right.. It’s not “take a weight and rep to failure” it’s take a weight you can do 6-8 reps, by those last 2 reps you should be dying and then rest pause 2 more times until failure whatever those reps may be... The total amount of reps is supposed to be around 15 max...

Be careful though, Slowmoe. You’ll get crucified if you do extra negatives or take less than 10-15 breaths (which I don’t understand how making it harder with less rest is worse :confused: lol)

There’s no particular split either.. It’s just higher intensity, less overall workout time and more frequency.. Dante laid out a split where you basically workout each body part about 2x per week.. I did the split chest/shoulders/triceps/back width and back thickness then biceps/forearms/calves/hams and quads... The same shit laid out in the article I talked about and the one the other member above said it was a copy of... I Worked out EOD..

Before anyone kills me about it not being the “original” way or whatever it’s what I read from him (unless he says otherwise) and I needed the next day after each workout to rest. No way I was able to go back to back to the gym with that intensity and give it 100%..

Last edited:
Sorry, but you are clueless here. It's not always 6-8 reps to failure. I'm not going to get into an internet dispute with you, but you need to read more about it before you present yourself as a person to suggest the correct way to perform the system.

He almost got it lol

As a matter of fact, you didn’t even explain it right.. It’s not “take a weight and rep to failure” it’s take a weight you can do 6-8 reps, by those last 2 reps you should be dying and then rest pause 2 more times until failure whatever those reps may be... The total amount of reps is supposed to be around 15 max...

Be careful though, Slowmoe. You’ll get crucified if you do extra negatives or take less than 10-15 breaths (which I don’t understand how making it harder with less rest is worse :confused: lol)

There’s no particular split either.. It’s just higher intensity, less overall workout time and more frequency.. Dante laid out a split where you basically workout each body part about 2x per week.. I did the split chest/shoulders/triceps/back width and back thickness then biceps/forearms/calves/hams and quads... The same shit laid out in the article I talked about and the one the other member above said it was a copy of... I Worked out EOD..

Before anyone kills me about it not being the “original” way or whatever it’s what I read from him (unless he says otherwise) and I needed the next day after each workout to rest. No way I was able to go back to back to the gym with that intensity and give it 100%..

Does DC training involve a weighted stretch or stretch under tension following the working sets?

Sorry, but you are clueless here. It's not always 6-8 reps to failure. I'm not going to get into an internet dispute with you, but you need to read more about it before you present yourself as a person to suggest the correct way to perform the system.

For the most part it is... I’m not going to write a fucking article for the guy when it’s been posted where to search.. You need to learn how to read when OP asked for CHEST WORKOUT...

For legs Dante talks about “widow maker” sets of 20 reps...

For biceps/triceps and even calves the article talked about some people hitting that 15 rep mark and others venturing into the 20-30 rep mark...

Apparently there’s a million ways to do it within the same article...

Slowmoe, you can read the article and make what you want of it...

Dens, do you really think it will make a major difference if OP or anyone of us average guys does a 15 rep rest pause to absolute failure or a 20 rep or a 12 rep?

Jesus H Christ... Too many you guys are taking too much gear, missing out on good ass food with your fucking “diets” 95% of the year and with the exception of the REAL national competitors and IFBB guys on this board, and maybe like 10 other guys who look(ed) amazing but never competed (Swiper comes to mind) 99% of you have beach bodies at best... So who fucking cares about every single little detail..

The point is, 1 exercise per body part, go to failure and increase weight and frequency

Where’s the rocket science?

Dens, do you really think it will make a major difference if OP or anyone of us average guys does a 15 rep rest pause to absolute failure or a 20 rep or a 12 rep?

The point is, 1 exercise per body part, go to failure and increase weight and frequency

Where’s the rocket science?

Ummmm, no I don't think it makes any difference. But as you get older it will , doing the lower rep rest pause will most likely shorten you lifting career. I believe it was you that said I was incorrect in saying rep to failure and pointed out it was a rp to 15 reps..........yours seems to be the specific rep range recommendation, not mine.

But you are right, the OP needs to read, A LOT more if he wants to follow the program as intended.

Ummmm, no I don't think it makes any difference. But as you get older it will , doing the lower rep rest pause will most likely shorten you lifting career. I believe it was you that said I was incorrect in saying rep to failure and pointed out it was a rp to 15 reps..........yours seems to be the specific rep range recommendation, not mine.

But you are right, the OP needs to read, A LOT more if he wants to follow the program as intended.

Well because you threw out the words “just grab a weight and go to failure” etc

Im pretty sure that’s what the guys in the 70’s were doing with their 135lb bench presses for 300 reps lol

And Dante does say that increasing weight is imperative for DC training as more muscle lifts more weight etc...

I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s common sense that older guys not only shouldn’t be DC training, but doing chest and back etc for 30 reps isn’t DC training as it misses the point of increasing weight to gain muscle etc and also, I think LK3 made the point the other day that if you haven’t reached the size you really want by your mid-late 30’s, you’re really starting to play the whole risk/reward factor of gaining size beyond that.. I don’t think it’s intelligent for a 45 year old guy to gain 30lbs of muscle (obviously depending where he’s at) but if he’s a newbie then yea, sure.. But if a guy is 45 y/o say 5’8 200-215lbs around 10-12% I think it would be foolish to try and keep pushing at that age, especially if it’s a hobby.. You’re asking to not only get hurt externally but internally as well...

I think Concreter is another guy (late 40’s? If I remember) who can attest to that who tore his pec doing 405lbs on the bench and now trains higher volume...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131