over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

First Large Study On Legal Marijuana & Exercise Habits Completed

danieltx

Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
Nothing our community doesn't already know here, but it's good to see the scientific community catching up to us.

NY Times article - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/well/mind/exercise-marijuana-cannabis-pot-workout.html

Study - https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpubh.2019.00099/full

Defying stereotypes, many people who frequently use cannabis also seem to be people who frequently exercise, according to the first large study of legal marijuana and exercise habits.

The study finds that many people who report using cannabis in the hours before or after a workout believe that it makes their exercise more enjoyable and may help motivate them to get out and be active. Fewer of those who exercise and use pot maintain that it actually improves their physical performance while exercising.

When we think of marijuana users, many people harbor preconceptions about their lives and lifestyles. The image that comes up for many of us, often cobbled together from watching The Dude in the movie “The Big Lebowski” or the misadventures of Harold and Kumar, is of the laid-back stoner who dreamily takes yet another hit on the bong.

“The usual stereotype is of someone lying on his couch for hours, blissed out and eating Doritos,” says Angela Bryan, a professor of psychology and neuroscience at the University of Colorado Boulder, who oversaw the new study.

Recently, the possibility that this cliché might be accurate had begun to worry her and her colleagues. Her lab studies health behavior and the actions and decisions that tend to promote or reduce people’s health.

She and her colleagues realized that legalization of recreational cannabis use, which had occurred or was about to in several states, including Colorado, would most likely increase usage. But current government regulations restrict research with the drug, which remains illegal at the federal level.

As a result, little has been known about the possible effects of regular cannabis use on behaviors that can affect health, including exercise.

“If using cannabis encourages people to be sedentary and overeat, that obviously would be a concern,” Dr. Bryan says.

But she and her colleagues had no idea whether or not that scenario was true. They sought to find out with their new study, which was published last month in Frontiers in Public Health.

For the study, they first designed a simple questionnaire that asked people some general questions about themselves, including their age, gender, height and weight. More specific questions delved into their relationships with marijuana and workouts.

The questionnaire probed how often people exercised or used cannabis and whether they combined the two, using the drug in some form within an hour before or four hours after a workout. It also asked if people felt that using marijuana made their workout more pleasurable, upped or reduced their desire to work out, and possibly hastened their recovery afterward.

Then the researchers sought out cannabis users in several of the states where the drug is legal, including Colorado, California, Washington and Oregon, recruiting participants through websites, dispensaries and clinics. They did not approach gyms or similar sites, because their interest was in how cannabis use affects exercise and not the other way around, Dr. Bryan says.

Eventually, they wound up with responses from more than 600 men and women who used cannabis, most of whom said they also exercised at least sometimes.

The researchers had expected that some, but probably not a majority, of these people would report swallowing, smoking or slathering on cannabis before or after exercise.

But they were wrong — and by a wide margin. It turned out that almost 82 percent of them said that they used cannabis around the time of their workouts.

This group tended to be younger, leaner and more often male than those who did not use marijuana in conjunction with exercise. They also exercised more often and imbibed or slathered on more cannabis.

And about 70 percent of them reported that using marijuana increased their enjoyment of workouts, while nearly 80 percent felt it enhanced their recovery, and more than half were convinced it motivated them to be physically active.

Only about 35 percent, though, held that it actually raised their exercise performance.

These findings should not be seen an endorsement of marijuana as an adjunct to exercise, Dr. Bryan says. But they do suggest that some of our entrenched ideas about cannabis and lifestyle may be outdated.

“Our concern going in was that cannabis use would be detrimental to physical activity,” Dr. Bryan says. “Our evidence does not support that idea.”

The new study’s results are severely limited, though, by being self-assessments from self-selected volunteers who live in possibly unrepresentative states, she adds.

“The states that have legalized cannabis also happen to be the states that we know are the most physically active,” she says. Whether or not people in less-active states would respond similarly to cannabis if and when it is legalized there is uncertain.

The survey also tells us nothing about how cannabis affects people during exercise, including whether it increases injuries, risk-taking or, as some anecdotal evidence indicates, the tendency to giggle and grow easily distracted by the puffiness of clouds while hiking under the influence.

It also cannot explain how cannabis affects people’s feeling about exercise, although Dr. Bryan suspects that changes in brain chemicals, pain sensitivity and inflammation prompted by the drug are probably involved.

She would like to see far more research into cannabis and exercise, she says, but funding and approval for relevant experiments remain difficult to obtain, given current federal regulations.

as research progresses i have a feeling we are going to find more connection to our endocannabinoid system physical things. there is more then we understand going on with this.

not to mention the fact that can goes hand in hand with a healthy life style as its basically non invasive for any sort of health or diet application. more so then any other drug i can think of.:lightbulb:

plus its good for you!
we should all start our day with weedys!
:love:

Thats propaganda in opinion. Just have seen to many people who have shut down there brains by only using weed chronically.

I am not generally against it, but i dislike the hype around it. And there are enough research and practical experience showing negative impact on physical and mental health.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L09 mit Tapatalk

Lol who are these people questioning? I used to associate myself with basically only people that smoked weed. None of those people worked out or lived a healthy lifestyle. I did workout and did smoke before and after my workouts but that was only because I smoked all the time lmao. Best decision I ever made was to stop smoking weed.

Edit- there are abviously people on these boards who smoke and try to live a healthy lifestyle (like I did). I'm talking about the general public and those that I used to associate myself with.

Last edited:
Weed generally improves people's overall outlook and understanding of life and that leads to much healthier liftstyle (typo but I'm leaving it lol) decisions.

Don't just accept your physical or psychological condition is my motto, I love nootropics. There are many drugs that unlock parts of your minds you don't normally use, cannabinoids are one of them.

Thats propaganda in opinion. Just have seen to many people who have shut down there brains by only using weed chronically.

I am not generally against it, but i dislike the hype around it. And there are enough research and practical experience showing negative impact on physical and mental health.

Gesendet von meinem MHA-L09 mit Tapatalk

Do you mind sharing this “research” and elaborating??

I tried asking a few people on this board who made similar claims and not a single person has shown any evidence or given any symptoms or experience on this... Only one person simply responded he didn’t want to argue but he felt impacted physically and mentally, but no further details as to how or what happened...

So not trying to argue, but going by the literal millions of people who smoke, there hasn’t been a single thing linked to marijuana with bad health or mental effects.... There have even been psychologists/psychiatrists who’ve stated/documented that of all the people they’ve studied and helped with schizophrenia or other mental illness, they cannot attribute it to marijuana use and it’s usually genetic and predisposed....

I know a couple of old timers who’ve been smoking since the 60’s-70’s and probably hundreds of people that I personally know and a bunch more acquaintances that I’ve met throughout the years and have gone to cannabis events involving thousands of people, never once heard or seen anything remotely close to related to bad health or mental illness directly related to marijuana with the exception of someone not having a high tolerance and they get a little paranoid and then go to sleep and it’s gone...

I’m not saying we won’t discover anything negative about it as studies open up, but you’d figure as I said with literally millions of marijuana smokers world wide that there would be at least ONE documented case of the above....

Lol who are these people questioning? I used to associate myself with basically only people that smoked weed. None of those people worked out or lived a healthy lifestyle. I did workout and did smoke before and after my workouts but that was only because I smoked all the time lmao. Best decision I ever made was to stop smoking weed.

Edit- there are abviously people on these boards who smoke and try to live a healthy lifestyle (like I did). I'm talking about the general public and those that I used to associate myself with.

I think what you’re basing it on is just the sheer number of smokers VS asking people in a workout/training environment... I too know TONS of smokers who’ve never even seen the inside of a gym, but down here in SFL I’d say EASILY 90% of people in gyms that I know smoke weed, as well as virtually every MMA/BJJ guy I know...

As a matter of fact, I personally don’t know a single person who doesn’t smoke weed at least casually or socially lol... The more the laws are opening up the more people are coming out with it, I know women in their 40’s-50’s who you would’ve never even guessed who’ve come out and admitted to smoking..

Do you mind sharing this “research” and elaborating??

I tried asking a few people on this board who made similar claims and not a single person has shown any evidence or given any symptoms or experience on this... Only one person simply responded he didn’t want to argue but he felt impacted physically and mentally, but no further details as to how or what happened...

So not trying to argue, but going by the literal millions of people who smoke, there hasn’t been a single thing linked to marijuana with bad health or mental effects.... There have even been psychologists/psychiatrists who’ve stated/documented that of all the people they’ve studied and helped with schizophrenia or other mental illness, they cannot attribute it to marijuana use and it’s usually genetic and predisposed....

I know a couple of old timers who’ve been smoking since the 60’s-70’s and probably hundreds of people that I personally know and a bunch more acquaintances that I’ve met throughout the years and have gone to cannabis events involving thousands of people, never once heard or seen anything remotely close to related to bad health or mental illness directly related to marijuana with the exception of someone not having a high tolerance and they get a little paranoid and then go to sleep and it’s gone...

I’m not saying we won’t discover anything negative about it as studies open up, but you’d figure as I said with literally millions of marijuana smokers world wide that there would be at least ONE documented case of the above....

I study clinical psychology and you're right about cannabis and mental health, they were often predisposed. I did saw a lesson where the professor talked about cases where cannabis induced a acute psychosis within healthy Individuals. The following study also claims that 1/7 users have reported psychotic like symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1079888/

Yes these are case reports, you cant make generalisations based on these but it does show that it isn't 100% 'side effect' free.

I've seen plenty of cases in my direct surrounding where cannabis (ab)use led to depression and related mental health issues. But then again, I live in a country where the suicide rate is the highest in all Europe

Last edited:
I don’t think there is anything wrong with weed but these studies trying to show weed had any kind of health benefits other than some sensory deprivation are a joke.

Go ahead smoke up johnny but don’t fucken sit here and try to tell me it’s somehow good for you.

The only issue I do have with weed is that it can indeed fuck your life up, I’ve seen it happen to lots of guys. Got a shitty job, shitty car, no skills, no girls, no friends and nothing to offer society?? Fuck it smoke some weed you’ll feel better you don’t have to actually improve your life....I’ve seen it more times than I care to count, guys who were close friends fell into the trap and it’s been game over since. By the time they realize what happened it’s too late and fuck it....smoke some more weed!

I study clinical psychology and you're right about cannabis and mental health, they were often predisposed. I did saw a lesson where the professor talked about cases where cannabis induced a acute psychosis within healthy Individuals. The following study also claims that 1/7 users have reported psychotic like symptoms.

Yes these are case reports, you cant make generalisations based on these but it does show that it isn't 100% 'side effect' free.

I've seen plenty of cases in my direct surrounding where cannabis (ab)use led to depression and related mental health issues.But then again, I live in a country where the suicide rate is the highest in all Europe

Then the variable that plays a big role on that factor needs to be found out, I doubt every single person where you live that suffers from depression smokes weed...

I’m not saying it’s 100% side effect free but it’s definitely blown out of proportion...

I’ve been to Netherlands, haven’t lived there so can’t really comment on the exact living experience, but from what I saw and experienced and what statistics say, it’s one of the happiest places/countries to live in and has a high quality of life... Weed everywhere.... Soooooo what do we say about that? Is it the weed making everyone happy? Probably not the single factor, but many factors that play into that...

I don’t think there is anything wrong with weed but these studies trying to show weed had any kind of health benefits other than some sensory deprivation are a joke.

Go ahead smoke up johnny but don’t fucken sit here and try to tell me it’s somehow good for you.

The only issue I do have with weed is that it can indeed fuck your life up, I’ve seen it happen to lots of guys. Got a shitty job, shitty car, no skills, no girls, no friends and nothing to offer society?? Fuck it smoke some weed you’ll feel better you don’t have to actually improve your life....I’ve seen it more times than I care to count, guys who were close friends fell into the trap and it’s been game over since. By the time they realize what happened it’s too late and fuck it....smoke some more weed!

Do you really think it’s the weed or do you think it’s just the people?

I know it’s hard to believe a giant number of people are just lazy and losers without any outside factors but the sad truth about our society is that people are very complacent and fear hard work and failure...

That being said, I know several people who are in their 30’s, have no house, a part time job or sell drugs (aren’t even good at selling drugs cause are always broke), live with their parents and don’t even do their own laundry and have zero aspirations for the future... I’m talking a few dozen people I personally know in this scenario... And they smoke weed and do other drugs and party non-stop...

On the other side, I know a few (not dozens and dozens) but really I personally know a few guys who are VERY successful and make stupid amounts of money and they smoke weed and some are even heavy party goers.. I know a guy who owns 2 clinics and makes in the low millions range and smokes and drinks and does coke a few times a week at least... Has a family and all... I also personally know a guy who owns his own salon and works with some top Spanish TV stations and actresses/actors down here and he lives in a high rise in an expensive area down here and makes heavy money and knows LOTS of people in many industries and he drinks and does coke like an animal...

I can name quite a few guys and girls like the above on both ends of the spectrum...

I think it’s the people and their work ethic, not the weed or drugs...

It's not just good for you in many ways, it's a form of cognitive enhancement also. If you have a "slow" bind, THC may make you dumber, but if you have a mind that works too fast, THC can slow you down and give you perspective and make you smarter. Plus the enhancements to the imagination...

I'm one of those people that works a very stressful job (trauma RN) where my mind needs to be "on point". I notice when I've used cannabis in the past (vape) to debrief after a very stressful shift, the following day I'm a bit dull cognitively.
I use cannabis sparingly for that reason. CBD tinctures/oils (orally) work ok but are less effective vs. using something with a 1:1 ratio (THC to CBD).

I am sooo looking forward to retiring!!;)

This study seems to say that people that like getting stoned feel better when they are stoned when they work out. But i wouldn't expect any other response from the group. Were is the control group who doesn't like to get high but when they do and work out that they find they are more productive. That would be some real starling news I would think. There are many studies showing negative effects of marijuana on the brain lungs and other tissue. I find that people often search out things to support their opinions and pass over other things that don't. But to look at al evidence as objectively as one can then making an informed decision seems like a good way to go to me.
https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/is-marijuana-safe-web#1
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...r+up+to+1+hour+due+to+essential+maintenance+&
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4827335/
https://www.livescience.com/6135-marijuana-linked-psychosis.html

Then the variable that plays a big role on that factor needs to be found out, I doubt every single person where you live that suffers from depression smokes weed...

I’m not saying it’s 100% side effect free but it’s definitely blown out of proportion...

I’ve been to Netherlands, haven’t lived there so can’t really comment on the exact living experience, but from what I saw and experienced and what statistics say, it’s one of the happiest places/countries to live in and has a high quality of life... Weed everywhere.... Soooooo what do we say about that? Is it the weed making everyone happy? Probably not the single factor, but many factors that play into that...
of course not :D and I think in general, cannabis is pretty save for most people. But we can't ignore that it can cause, wheter it's cannabis on it's own or the combinations with other variabels, mental health issues. Yes, they are likely to be the minority, but imo, no reason to dissmis it completely. Also no reason to generalise it too.

I do not agree that it's been blowing out of proportion tbh, it gets pretty glamourised imo. The stigma around smoking weed is fading fast ime. I dont think that's a bad thing either.

Not sure about America? I assume the Same since you've got shops where you can buy weed?

of course not :D and I think in general, cannabis is pretty save for most people. But we can't ignore that it can cause, wheter it's cannabis on it's own or the combinations with other variabels, mental health issues. Yes, they are likely to be the minority, but imo, no reason to dissmis it completely. Also no reason to generalise it too.

I do not agree that it's been blowing out of proportion tbh, it gets pretty glamourised imo. The stigma around smoking weed is fading fast ime. I dont think that's a bad thing either.

Not sure about America? I assume the Same since you've got shops where you can buy weed?

Agreed. THC can cause some anxiety, and negative thinking in some people with mental health issues. If one is predisposed t schizophrenia it can increase that.

The cannabis with thc is three kinds right? low thc like what 10-12%, mid grade like 15 %, and high grade 20-30%...

That mid and high grade stuff seemed to cause some issues, maybe it was me. The lower reggae stuff no. Some people mix hemp flower , with a small amount of thc ...

Ive smoked hemp flower for sleep and its just like cannabis, actually it is cannabis , just with lowered thc levels and higher cbd levels.

any truth to back in the 1970's thc levels were 0.3 % like what is sold in hemp flower?

Last edited:
I quit using THC/CBD a lot, usually for 1-3 month periods a couple times per year. If you do use THC/CBD constantly at higher amounts these cleanout periods are important for personal grown and development. Being constantly stoned will prevent you from going through some things is how I describe it, you need to take time off and deal with those things, it works for me anyway. I feel "stoned" for the first whole month when I quit because not being high is so different.

BTW I live in a state where recreational use is legal.

I've seen plenty of cases in my direct surrounding where cannabis (ab)use led to depression and related mental health issues. But then again, I live in a country where the suicide rate is the highest in all Europe

is there anything that is 100% side effect free?
lets be real, water can kill you faster via a number of methods then cannabis. lol

only way cannabis can kill you is with a hemp rope! lol

sugar has more side effects and negative health potential then cannabis.

It's not just good for you in many ways, it's a form of cognitive enhancement also. If you have a "slow" bind, THC may make you dumber, but if you have a mind that works too fast, THC can slow you down and give you perspective and make you smarter. Plus the enhancements to the imagination...

i have always felt that taking drugs is like going to the gym for your brain! lol:headbang::headbang::headbang:

go ahead and alter your perception HEAVILY then do all of your normal things!

just try counting a bunch of money or balancing a register or other real math thing on a head full of acid....:eek:

:star-w:rs

dumb people are dumb no matter what!

I'm one of those people that works a very stressful job (trauma RN) where my mind needs to be "on point". I notice when I've used cannabis in the past (vape) to debrief after a very stressful shift, the following day I'm a bit dull cognitively.
I use cannabis sparingly for that reason. CBD tinctures/oils (orally) work ok but are less effective vs. using something with a 1:1 ratio (THC to CBD).

I am sooo looking forward to retiring!!;)

brain fog goes away with practice.:lightbulb:

one of the problems with weed or psycadelics in general is that for the unexperienced or uninitiated they do alter your perception of things quite drastically, for some ppl this can be quite challenging. but this is all in your head, you just need to use your head different to learn how to deal wiht these things.

if one is serious about using pyscadelics for cognative enhancement the first goal is ego loss.

you need to shed yourself to find yourself. :lightbulb:

then the journey begins!

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member