over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

DON'T TAKE ADVIL FOR PAIN RELIEF!

Geardepot

Guaranteed Sponsor
Registered
Sponsors
Anybody who works out hard is probably, from time to time, tempted to reach in the medicine cabinet and pull out some pharmaceutical pain relief. While these drugs–known collectively as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)–will definitely prevent or alleviate delayed onset muscle soreness or DOMS), they'll also inhibit muscle growth.
They do this because they interfere with a couple of enzymes known as COX 1 and COX 2, which can negatively influence muscle protein synthesis, muscle protein metabolism, and other cellular processes crucial to muscle-growth adaptations to exercise.
So...what is the alternative? The compound known as curcumin is a potent pain reliever and it doesn't have any inhibitory effects on muscle growth. It turns out that curcumin is a poor inhibitor of COX 1 and 2, even though studies have shown 400 mg. of the substance to be as powerful as 1,000 mg. of acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Curcumin works through entirely different chemical pathways than NSAIDS. The compound inhibits inflammation and pain by inhibiting a variety of molecules, including phospholipase, lipooxygenase, leukotrienes, thromboxane, prostaglandins, monocyte chemoattractant protein, interferon-inducible protein, tumor necrosis factor, and interleukin-12, among others.
Regardless of its inhibitory effect on all these molecules, it doesn't interfere with muscle growth.
While curcumin is particularly effective in alleviating DOMS, it's also great for arthritic pain and post-operative pain. A study involving 25 human subjects found that 8,000 mg. of curcumin given daily over three months produced no toxicity. Of course, you don't need anywhere near that amount to combat pain. The standard dosage is about 500 mg.
It takes about two hours to kick in, reaches maximum strength in 4 hours, and it keeps working for up to about 12 hours.
GD

Wow! I miss the old days.
Lift, Take Test, D-Bol, eat a ton, repeat! Feel like I need to be a scientist these days LOL

interesting , im an advil taker.

I have been reading about the downsides of NSAID's since the 90's. Until I see studies showing no side effects I assume there is a downside to all substances. Just because the FDA has OK'd a drug does not give me any faith.

You're clinically not supposed to take advil/ibuprofen for more than 2 weeks. Stuff is terrible for your kidneys/heart yet I know people that take this stuff EVERY day for years. I couldn't believe people took that crap daily for "working out" until I met one of those people.

ya this is nothing new. best to take tylenol is necessary or avoid pain killers all together.

ya this is nothing new. best to take tylenol is necessary or avoid pain killers all together.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen work differently and while having some crossover also have individual instances one is better than the other. As an Cox inhibitor it is a good anti-inflammatory which helps with lifting associated pains such as tendonitis, arthritis, bursitis... the itis-is... inflammation. An analgesic wouldn't be as beneficial.

Also, I think the protein synthesis is overstated. (Pure opinion). Using this logic...

If you take Advil and inhibit some protein synthesis but can train pain free thus harder/heavier/more reps/etc OR skip the Advil, do NOT inhibit protein synthesis (which is already supra-physiologic due to PEDs) but cannot train as hard/heavy/many reps due to pain inhibiting you...

Hmm...keep it simple:

chronic NSAID use = nephrotoxicity

chronic Acetaminophen use = hepatotoxicity

If you want me to go through the biochemistry of it all, ask and you shall not receive ...for now. Be that as it may, I wouldn't rely on Wikipedia, WebMD, etc.

I have chronic pain partly from a painful auto immune disease and I use curcumin but it's not that effective. As for Ibuprofen interfering with muscle growth, I don't think that applies much for enhanced individuals. This may not be the best example because this person had kidney failure from massive amounts of Ibuprofen but Tom Prince sure was able to pack on dense muscle using those massive amounts of Ibuprofen!

Attachments

• TP Side Chest.jpg
    TP Side Chest.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 41
  • TP Side By Side.jpg
    TP Side By Side.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 34
I personally avoid NSAIDS at all cost pretty much once I realized how they damaged other people...plus I always had the thought in the back of my mind that NSAIDS would hinder my growth. Another thing besides curcumin that I will use when in pain or In need of relaxing=Kratom...I feel it's very effective for many things also including a mild anti depressant I've found. I'm now trying to figure out how to control inflammation these days.

I have chronic pain partly from a painful auto immune disease and I use curcumin but it's not that effective. As for Ibuprofen interfering with muscle growth, I don't think that applies much for enhanced individuals. This may not be the best example because this person had kidney failure from massive amounts of Ibuprofen but Tom Prince sure was able to pack on dense muscle using those massive amounts of Ibuprofen!

Painful autoimmune disease...hmmmmm. That actually narrows the DDx significantly.

I personally avoid NSAIDS at all cost pretty much once I realized how they damaged other people...plus I always had the thought in the back of my mind that NSAIDS would hinder my growth. Another thing besides curcumin that I will use when in pain or In need of relaxing=Kratom...I feel it's very effective for many things also including a mild anti depressant I've found. I'm now trying to figure out how to control inflammation these days.

Unless one has already reached irreparable bilateral ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) per the R.I.F.L.E. classification, it's time for CVVHD 3 x week for the rest of one's life or until one is fortunate enough to find a live kidney donor with a 6 out of 6 HLA match. Even then, the mean survival seems to be ~5 years s/p renal transplant despite the use of immunosuppressants based on clinical experience which sucks since those individuals have to endure so much. One month they are fine, next month they suddenly develop full onset GVHD unresponsive to methylprednisolone 1,250 mg IV Q6h. Best thing you an do is ease the pain b/c GVHD looks and sounds agonizingly painful. :(

IMO the main reason to stay away from NSAIDS/OTC pain meds is the effect on the gastric system. I also believe NSAIDS may contribute to some of the chronic gastric distention we see in bodybuilders.

i was sort of laughing to myself about this sorta topic the other day.
i wont take ibeprophen or most other "normal" sort of drugs.
asprin/baby asprin in moderation.
i take something for headaches from time to time but maybe i use the equivlent of a btl a year, 20-60 tabs, kinda like excedrin but with ergotine n thats banned in us.

antibiotix no, corticos no, any sort of traditional med basically no.

lol
i am very respectful with aas these days and the other things most think are "bad" i have zero issue with, lol.

i am for sure better for sure better for this too! lol:love::headbang:

i sure miss curc but, really all these common drugs seem like very bad news to me.:lightbulb:

The minuscule impact on gains is the last thing I’d be worried about and much more concerned with the impact on gut flora/gut health.

Unless one has already reached irreparable bilateral ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) per the R.I.F.L.E. classification, it's time for CVVHD 3 x week for the rest of one's life or until one is fortunate enough to find a live kidney donor with a 6 out of 6 HLA match. Even then, the mean survival seems to be ~5 years s/p renal transplant despite the use of immunosuppressants based on clinical experience which sucks since those individuals have to endure so much. One month they are fine, next month they suddenly develop full onset GVHD unresponsive to methylprednisolone 1,250 mg IV Q6h. Best thing you an do is ease the pain b/c GVHD looks and sounds agonizingly painful. :(

HD is done intermittently. CVVHD is done in hospital on hemodynamically unstable patients. The C stands for continuous thus you wouldn't do it 3x a week. Mean survival without transplant on HD is about 5 years. With transplant it is much longer. GVHD is not a sure thing by any stretch.

Your post is obviously educated but contains some inaccuracies

IMO the main reason to stay away from NSAIDS/OTC pain meds is the effect on the gastric system. I also believe NSAIDS may contribute to some of the chronic gastric distention we see in bodybuilders.

What is this hypothesis based on?

Rheumatoid Factor negative and HLA-B27 positive?

I believe the Rheumatoid Factor was negative, I would have to double check but yes on the HLA-B27. I'm taking Humira for it.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Iron Mountain 75
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner