advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Should carbs and fats be eaten separately?

Joltan

Registered
What's your thoughts on this? I've read that some people try to separate them, as the carbohydrates spike insulin and can shuttle/cause fat storage.

Any truth to this? Does it matter much on a bulk?

In my experience it can definitely help in certain situations. For example, if I know I am going to have a night of eating junk food (and my favorites are sugary sweets), I will avoid fat intake before hand and will focus only on candies, fat free sweet/sour ice creams, pretzels, and all sorts of fat free foods. I have noticed that when I stick to this, I rarely ever put on significant fat.

On the flip side though, if you are eating in moderation and not binging, then I don't think it matters too much about eating carbs and fats together.

Calories in VS. Calories out is what matters.

the logic behind it makes sense but that level of OCD with it makes it not worth it in my mind. as bodybuilders we are already very OCD with how we eat anyway so im not adding fuel to the fire with something like this lol. plus there is the fact that certain fats slow digestion therefore making accompanying carbs have less of a BS spike. and as bboy pointed out above, cals in vs cals out is #1.

I think for the most part it’s is over thinking. Like B-Boy said it’s really calories #1 then make sure you get your required protein and your energy sources from some combo of fats and carbs. I feel the best when I’m just in a maintenance/lifestyle phase eating a really balance moderate carb/fat diet. When I’m getting more aggressive especially cutting my high carb days say Pushing 600-800g I like to almost pull all fats because they do slow digestion. It’s crazy when you start the day with high carbs no fats how hungry you are all day. This is also assuming you have had a few lower days leading up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your thoughts on this? I've read that some people try to separate them, as the carbohydrates spike insulin and can shuttle/cause fat storage.

At the end of the day, it's the deficit/surplus that matters.

If you store it as fat, your body will just tap into that stored fat for calories in a deficit.

I do like to keep fat lower on a bulk, but i doubt it makes a huge difference.

It IS less efficient for the body to turn carbs into fat than to directly store fat, so it might make a tiny difference.

I think for the most part it’s is over thinking. Like B-Boy said it’s really calories #1 then make sure you get your required protein and your energy sources from some combo of fats and carbs. I feel the best when I’m just in a maintenance/lifestyle phase eating a really balance moderate carb/fat diet. When I’m getting more aggressive especially cutting my high carb days say Pushing 600-800g I like to almost pull all fats because they do slow digestion. It’s crazy when you start the day with high carbs no fats how hungry you are all day. This is also assuming you have had a few lower days leading up.

^^^agreed ..great post

..just saw in another thread that you got your IFBB card, BIG CONGRATULATIONS ..you look fantastic brother!!

for real. the carb-insulin hypothesis is dead,
look up the NUSI studies. millions spent on studies to prove "carbs make u fat" and the result? all studies disproved it.
so sad for NUSI,.
food energy doenst break the laws of physics. no matter what paleo and primal and gi index wingnuts want u to believe.

^^^agreed ..great post

..just saw in another thread that you got your IFBB card, BIG CONGRATULATIONS ..you look fantastic brother!!

Thx so much brother [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

There is really no evidence that this is true. No idea where it came from to begin with honestly.

In fact, I keep saying the most overrated dietary fallacy we keep hearing about are the carbs to fats ratio. Calories are king and then protein is also important. The balance between carbs and fats matter far less than calories and protein.

for real. the carb-insulin hypothesis is dead,
look up the NUSI studies. millions spent on studies to prove "carbs make u fat" and the result? all studies disproved it.
so sad for NUSI,.
food energy doenst break the laws of physics. no matter what paleo and primal and gi index wingnuts want u to believe.

There is really no evidence that this is true. No idea where it came from to begin with honestly.

In fact, I keep saying the most overrated dietary fallacy we keep hearing about are the carbs to fats ratio. Calories are king and then protein is also important. The balance between carbs and fats matter far less than calories and protein.

:yeahthat:

It came from gurus. Those who prep athletes using every pharmaceutical advantage available end up parroting some skewed theories when it comes to nutrition. Not that they're absolutely wrong, but all the pieces have to be there for it to be right.

eat the right amount of protein, eat a small amount of fats, the rest carbs, bulking or cutting. I always find it funny how people drink oil to get more fat. if your eating steaks, eggs, salmon, you should be getting enough. the only people I could see drinking olive oil are people who just can't gain weight period and can't digest food so they struggle to eat. most men enjoy food and want to eat and don't need to drink oil to get in calories lol

It came from gurus. Those who prep athletes using every pharmaceutical advantage available end up parroting some skewed theories when it comes to nutrition. Not that they're absolutely wrong, but all the pieces have to be there for it to be right.

You're totally right. I used to worry about how many carbs or fats I'm eating but now that I'm a lot more into studies and research/evidence, I realize that's completely overrated. Now I just eyeball my calories and eat at least 40g protein per meal (over 5 meals), which is much less than I used to do.

George Farah's infamous comment that if you're going to eat carbs and fats together you might as well eat a donut.

last show i did was in @2010 i think... phil hernon was my coach. met him here on pro m. macros were 50gm pro/35gm carb/20gm fats for SOLID food meals. drank lbs's in between meals.
i got peeled. took first in heavy weight. waaay more conditioned than anyone else.
like Bboy said....
-F2S

If you're gorging on junk food, yes, it might benefit you to not have a ton of sugar and a ton of fat at the same time. Under ordinary circumstances, though, it's actually beneficial to have a little fat with your carbs to keep your blood sugar a little more even keeled. Nevermind the fat, anyway, converting carbs themselves to fat is a hugely inefficient process and never happens in a vacuum. It's not something a bodybuilder should be overly concerned with unless you're just consuming a huge excess of calories to begin with.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws