over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Competition thoughts

PHIL HERNON

Banned
I am all for guys having fun.......but some, well a lot of guys on here are competing with absolutely no more muscle than an average guy on the streets and trying to get deathly shredded to win a show. THAT IS NOT BODYBUILDING....in case thats what you thought you were doing. BODYBUILDING is building muscle........not getting as shredded as possible when you have no muscle...........build some muscle FIRST.......FIRST.........FIRST..........PLEASE! Then, compete, but this is all about building muscle and showing it off, not about showing how lean you can be with minimal muscle......again, thoughts just going through my head. :)

More

It seems the tide has turned away from muscle to just being shredded......it has allowed the lesser genetically equipped to be able to stand on stage just by wasting away all fat.......and WIN over a more muscular guy......its getting out of hand......we need to call is something else other than bodybuilding...........maybe dieting contests? Male fitness??

I agree with you 100% Phil. Unfortunately it seems as though the NPC judges do not agree with us. Shredded glutes has supplanted muscularity, symmetry and everything else that I used to love about bodybuilding.

I agree, I see many guy's start training for a show when they have just begun. I guess if thats what they need to stay focussed thats fine. Some guy's just want to say they did it. But if you want to get somewhere in the sport you have to wait till you have some quality mass.
Thats a whole other aspect. Some guy's get so obsessed with the scale that they and up getting to fat and loosing muscle because they had to diet to hard to get in shape. If you keep in decent condition you can grow up till a few weeks out of the show. Hell, I know some guy's that barely change their diet, they just up their gear and do some cardio and they damn near can compete.

lol.....Like the thoughts. I know I am at where I want to be so I don't care if I put on some fat. As long as I am not a fat s.o.b. I train for strength and size.

Body Sculpting

Im 39 years old and have been training for about 25 years, Im yet to get shredded as Im on a 30 year bulking plan....

Im always thinking i need to build more muscle....

i call it Body Emaciation shows..the judges drive the look....that's what I don't like...

This is something I have been using as my staple this year - This is not bodyDIET, but bodyBUILD! So, I have had people say ask me if I am going to diet for a show this year and my reply now is - I plan on bodyBUILDING my way onto stage. I have been a middleweight for too long, so I know I have always just maintained in order to make middleweight class...not going to do that anymore. I am going to listen to my body, if it demands more food, then I know something is going right with my training. Yes, I am not one to take huge leaps because I am conservative on certain things, but small increases seem to be helping everything this year so far, but I will tell you for each pound of real deal muscle you gain it goes along way sometimes with promoting hunger, strength, etc.... Getting into condition and being stage lean is not a problem if I put my mind to it, but growing more muscle, well that is my quest for now and let that dictate my competitive plans. I am enjoying for now.

AND

This is something I have been using as my staple this year - This is not bodyDIET, but bodyBUILD! So, I have had people say ask me if I am going to diet for a show this year and my reply now is - I plan on bodyBUILDING my way onto stage. I have been a middleweight for too long, so I know I have always just maintained in order to make middleweight class...not going to do that anymore. I am going to listen to my body, if it demands more food, then I know something is going right with my training. Yes, I am not one to take huge leaps because I am conservative on certain things, but small increases seem to be helping everything this year so far, but I will tell you for each pound of real deal muscle you gain it goes along way sometimes with promoting hunger, strength, etc.... Getting into condition and being stage lean is not a problem if I put my mind to it, but growing more muscle, well that is my quest for now and let that dictate my competitive plans. I am enjoying for now.

It shows this year Lenny........good job man.........Guys, you wan to get lean? PUT ON MORE MUSCLE............

I agree with you 100% Phil. Unfortunately it seems as though the NPC judges do not agree with us. Shredded glutes has supplanted muscularity, symmetry and everything else that I used to love about bodybuilding.

I think shredded glutes are taking it to the next level and they are cool as hell. But you also need to be big and symetrical. They should be the deciding factor when two guy's are hard to judge for a placing.

i call it Body Emaciation shows..the judges drive the look....that's what I don't like...

Exactly! And many seem to be looking for is shredded/striated glutes, what the hell is that:confused: You still need to have plenty of muscle!

From the title of the thread, I thought you were thinking of throwing on the trunks again.:)

i wonder if going back to height classes would discourage that emaciated look. then you could go by the mirror and not have to worry about sucking down to a pre-determined weight. i used to like that in the old days competing in the A.A.U. damn! i am an old fart!!!! LOL

I am all for guys having fun.......but some, well a lot of guys on here are competing with absolutely no more muscle than an average guy on the streets and trying to get deathly shredded to win a show. THAT IS NOT BODYBUILDING....in case thats what you thought you were doing. BODYBUILDING is building muscle........not getting as shredded as possible when you have no muscle...........build some muscle FIRST.......FIRST.........FIRST..........PLEASE! Then, compete, but this is all about building muscle and showing it off, not about showing how lean you can be with minimal muscle......again, thoughts just going through my head. :)

I agree with this Phil. This is something I am still working on at the moment. However, guys ask me all the time why I do not compete. I simply return a response of...I need to be bigger.

Nicely said Phil.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members