Side/rear laterals
3-4 sets, 10 reps per set done in superset style
Shrugs
3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Close grip press
3-4 sets 6-8 reps
Lying EZ extensions
3-4 sets 8 reps

Every set to concentric failure. 2 min rest between upper body exercises, 3 min between lower body compounds.

My stats:
5 8
180lb

Squat 265lb x 10
Deadlift 315lb x 6

Is this a good training routine? Would you ever do sth similar?

Of course it is only a guideline and I also change some exercises from time to time. For example one week I do Weighted Dips and the next one I do Hammer Strength Press. One week I do Hammer Curls, next week I do Incline Curls. So i dont get used to movements too much.

Well

I do not like it at all.........working out is not about mass, its your diet, supplements and recovery that contribute most. That being said, this routine, no matter what else you do, leaves a lot to be desired.

I do not like it at all.........working out is not about mass, its your diet, supplements and recovery that contribute most. That being said, this routine, no matter what else you do, leaves a lot to be desired.

I know, but supposing my diet is 100% ok, what is bad with this routine

thanks for anwser

Well

I know, but supposing my diet is 100% ok, what is bad with this routine

thanks for anwser

Too much fluff.......wasted movements.........you CANNOT get used to a movement. If that was the case, we would have to chew and walk differently to survive. Stick to basics..........vary the rep ranges............keep sets low..........thats only if you want to gain a lot of muscle..........if not, as not everyone wants to, then do more sets......just be an athlete.

Too much fluff.......wasted movements.........you CANNOT get used to a movement. If that was the case, we would have to chew and walk differently to survive. Stick to basics..........vary the rep ranges............keep sets low..........thats only if you want to gain a lot of muscle..........if not, as not everyone wants to, then do more sets......just be an athlete.

so sth like Dorian Yates training would be more appropriate?

or what about this:

MONDAY: Deadlifts 2x6
Pullups 2x8
DB Rows 2x10-12
DB Curls 2x6-8
BB Curl 1x6-8

WEDNESDAY: Flat DB Press 2x5-7
Incline DB Press 2x6-8
Dips 1x max reps
Close Grip Bench 2x6-8

FRIDAY: Leg Press 2x10
Squat 2x6-10
Leg Curls 2x6
DB RDL's 2x6

or what about this:

Pullups 2x8
DB Rows 2x10-12
DB Curls 2x6-8
BB Curl 1x6-8

Incline DB Press 2x6-8
Dips 1x max reps
Close Grip Bench 2x6-8

Squat 2x6-10
Leg Curls 2x6
DB RDL's 2x6

This is when you just hire Phil and let him take care of the rest.

Is he at the point that he needs a trainer. He may want to head over to the beginners section and take up Big A's three day split, which his last plan is much closer to. Maybe put some time in on that before having to step it up with a trainer. Just an idea.

Is he at the point that he needs a trainer. He may want to head over to the beginners section and take up Big A's three day split, which his last plan is much closer to. Maybe put some time in on that before having to step it up with a trainer. Just an idea.

Life is too short to waste time. Do it right the first time.

Well

It depends......trainers are not just for advanced BBers.......IF I had to start over, I would want to start right........but starting right is not for everyone.......but I see your point.....put in time first........how much time is the limit? 1 year? 2? 6 months? PERSONALLY, 3 day a week training is not good.

Well

or what about this:

Pullups 2x8
DB Rows 2x10-12
DB Curls 2x6-8
BB Curl 1x6-8

Incline DB Press 2x6-8
Dips 1x max reps
Close Grip Bench 2x6-8

Squat 2x6-10
Leg Curls 2x6
DB RDL's 2x6

Personally, I do not like this either......but it all works to a point.

I wish I would have hired a trainer as soon as I began lifting. I spun my wheels for a couple years after my newb gains before hiring IronAddict (RIP). Best money I ever spent in my lifting 'career', he really got me on track.

Personally, I do not like this either......but it all works to a point.

how many days of training would you recommend for building the most mass asap?

do you believe that training can make or break gains even for people who are using super supps? how do you explain all the guys who actually train like this yet are complete size monsters?

i agree with varying the rep ranges for most exercises and keeping the WORKING sets low because i personally use a max of 1-2 of working sets when going heavy, pyramid up and the previous sets count as warm ups

i was never too into using static weight and using so many sets, too much cns fatigue and your muscle will burn out beyond the first/second set if you are exerting any type of intensity and effort into your sets rather than using them as "pump up" sets. but his last routine he posted was lower volume you didn't really like it either...

without having to dish out money for your services i'm just curious as to what kind of training principles you follow and what type of ideologies you believe in. you don't have to give me the whole pie but a slice or a taster would be nice :D

PERSONALLY, 3 day a week training is not good.

So in you opinion the DC two way split is not a good program?

Countless people have used it successfully. I'm just curious on your opinion.

So in you opinion the DC two way split is not a good program?

Countless people have used it successfully. I'm just curious on your opinion.

Let me just add that to a point all programs and trainers will work to a degree but as far as results the people who have followed Phil's program dilligently have never been disappointed.

Let me just add that to a point all programs and trainers will work to a degree but as far as results the people who have followed Phil's program dilligently have never been disappointed.

Understandable, but to make such a generalization that 3 day per week training is not good is petty misinformed statement, as 3 day per week training can be very effective when using the proper training protocols, exercises and methodologies.

Monday

Incline Dumbbell
3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Incline Flyes
3-4 sets, 10-12 reps
Weighted Dips
3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Cable Crossovers
3-4 sets, 10-12 reps

Tuesday

Deadlifts
3 sets, 6 reps
Wide grip pullups
3-4 sets, max reps
Low Cable Rows
3-4 sets, 10-12 reps
Lat Pulldowns
3-4 sets, 10-12 reps
EZ curls
3-4 sets, 8 reps
Hammer curls
3-4 sets, 8 reps

Thursday

Squats
4 sets, 6-8 reps
Leg extensions
4 sets with a "static hold" at the end of each set, 10 reps
Leg curls
3 sets, 8-10 reps
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets, 10-12 reps
Donkey Calf Raises
4 sets, 12-15 reps
Walking Dumbbell Lunges
3 lengths of corridor

Friday

Overhead Press
3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Side/rear laterals
3-4 sets, 10 reps per set done in superset style
Shrugs
3-4 sets, 6-8 reps
Close grip press
3-4 sets 6-8 reps
Lying EZ extensions
3-4 sets 8 reps

Every set to concentric failure. 2 min rest between upper body exercises, 3 min between lower body compounds.

My stats:
5 8
180lb

Squat 265lb x 10
Deadlift 315lb x 6

Is this a good training routine? Would you ever do sth similar?

Of course it is only a guideline and I also change some exercises from time to time. For example one week I do Weighted Dips and the next one I do Hammer Strength Press. One week I do Hammer Curls, next week I do Incline Curls. So i dont get used to movements too much.

Your lifts are weak which is a sign your diet(not eating enough) and sleep is not on point. Start from scratch and do a good strength program like Wendler 531 and Bill Starr 5X5 and learn how to get stronger on the big 4 lifts before you go for a full fledged BB routine.

Well

Understandable, but to make such a generalization that 3 day per week training is not good is petty misinformed statement, as 3 day per week training can be very effective when using the proper training protocols, exercises and methodologies.

Oh its good for guys like you..........but I am an IFBB pro and I want to weigh 250 on stage as I did. ........but that being said it is better than 2 days a week or 1 day a week.

Oh its good for guys like you..........but I am an IFBB pro and I want to weigh 250 on stage as I did. ........but that being said it is better than 2 days a week or 1 day a week.

Ok, I know I have a LONG way to go, but to understand your statement, can you elaborate on what you mean by, "guys like you."

I am not so naive to believe I can stay with one program for eternity and in your opinion what would be the next step for someone after spending a great deal of time and making significant progress using a program like DC?

Thanks in advance for the response Phil. I appreciate the time you take to educate those trying to make their way in this iron game.

Well

Ok, I know I have a LONG way to go, but to understand your statement, can you elaborate on what you mean by, "guys like you."

I am not so naive to believe I can stay with one program for eternity and in your opinion what would be the next step for someone after spending a great deal of time and making significant progress using a program like DC?

Thanks in advance for the response Phil. I appreciate the time you take to educate those trying to make their way in this iron game.

I am unsure where you are competition wise. What show did you do? How many have you done? Lets start there then go to next questions.......

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear