over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Quick question concerning Vitamin D

aphextwin

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I was talking to a doctor friend of mine and she was telling me that Vitamin D3 is lost through our urine if it's not taken with Calcium? I had never heard this before, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this?

I Actually had Vit D deficiency earlier this year and was prescribed Vit D3 50,000iu per week, never took it with calcium and my levels came back up to normal range...

So by my experience that statement is false..

About the same as NEMSZ, I had a deficiency, too, was prescribed D2 50,000 iu (for some reason D3 does not work for me). Didn't need calcium for it either.

I was talking to a doctor friend of mine and she was telling me that Vitamin D3 is lost through our urine if it's not taken with Calcium? I had never heard this before, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything about this?

Sadly, that's 100% incorrect.

However, you do need fat to absorb vitamin D supplements properly. Many people who have trouble getting their levels up are taking it on an empty stomach or with very little fat.

However, you do need fat to absorb vitamin D supplements properly. Many people who have trouble getting their levels up are taking it on an empty stomach or with very little fat.

Ah, that may be where I have a problem then. I had my gallbladder out a while back, so I can't tolerate too much fat at one time. I take my D2 at the end of the day before bed so though not completely an empty stomach, there's not much left there, and I try not to take in too much fat in the first place.

As always, I appreciate your contributions to this board. That's kind of what I thought which made me bring this questions to this forum. I do always take my vitamin D with fat. Thanks again, brother.

I believe there's a defined line of fats that need to be incorporate with Vit D for efficient absorption. A low-fat meal seemed to fair better than a higher fat content meal.

https://asbmr.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jbmr.1896

Unlikely, although a Vit D insufficiency/deficiency may be masked by a magnesium deficiency. In which upping one's Mg, may suffice at bringing Vit D back into decent range in the presence of Vit D enriched foods and or minimal Vit D supplementation, rather than larger doses.

https://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2673882

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3854088/

Thanks, Stewie. Your input is always appreciated. For myself, I always take a minimum of 800 mag malate a day. I swear by this form of magnesium for extra energy support throughout the day.

Ah, that may be where I have a problem then. I had my gallbladder out a while back, so I can't tolerate too much fat at one time. I take my D2 at the end of the day before bed so though not completely an empty stomach, there's not much left there, and I try not to take in too much fat in the first place.

I believe you only need something like 14-20 grams for optimal absorption.

Generally, consuming it with dinner dose the trick as most foods have at least that much trace fat in them.

Thanks, Black Beard, I'll remember to do that.

I tried the 50,000 iu per week method for years, could never get my vit d score over 40. I'm seeing a new doc who has me on s sublingual D3/K2 spray. He says it's so effective after a few days I will be incapable of catching the flu.

I believe you only need something like 14-20 grams for optimal absorption.

Generally, consuming it with dinner dose the trick as most foods have at least that much trace fat in them.

With all the usual fat soluble supplements we take, is 14-20g of fat the magic number needed to optimal absorption? I've never been able to find that info.

my blood work came back in the low 30s, I started d3 at 40,000iu once a week, I take healthy origins brand and they add a little olive oil, I never really concentrated on taking it with fat, sometimes I would sometimes I did not, I did always take it with a meal and never on empty stomach, a few months later level came back at 86.

Last edited:
With all the usual fat soluble supplements we take, is 14-20g of fat the magic number needed to optimal absorption? I've never been able to find that info.

Idk, but if you just have a big enough meal or one containing some fat, you should be good to go. I see so many patients and people online who say " i can't get my Vitamin D up" and nobody has told them that they need a fatty meal to absorb it properly with a high enough dose (usually at least 5,000 IU daily)

A big enough meal like dinner will usually contain enough trace amounts of fat even if the meal is not necessarily "fatty".

Idk, but if you just have a big enough meal or one containing some fat, you should be good to go. I see so many patients and people online who say " i can't get my Vitamin D up" and nobody has told them that they need a fatty meal to absorb it properly with a high enough dose (usually at least 5,000 IU daily)

A big enough meal like dinner will usually contain enough trace amounts of fat even if the meal is not necessarily "fatty".

Yea it seems a lot of people aren't aware of that.

I aim for at least 10g of fat with all my supplements (except the empty stomach ones) since so many are fat soluble. Hopefully it's enough to get the full absorption.

Yea it seems a lot of people aren't aware of that.

I aim for at least 10g of fat with all my supplements (except the empty stomach ones) since so many are fat soluble. Hopefully it's enough to get the full absorption.

The way i recommend it is to take most of your supplements after dinner or your biggest meal. Delayed GI movement gives it more time to be absorbed and naturally you would be getting most of your vits/mins with food. It's also very easy to remember. The bigger meals are also more likely to have enough fat for absorption even if the meal is not "fatty".

I tried the 50,000 iu per week method for years, could never get my vit d score over 40. I'm seeing a new doc who has me on s sublingual D3/K2 spray. He says it's so effective after a few days I will be incapable of catching the flu.

I remember reading that D3 absorption is enhanced by k2 and that you shouldn't take calcium. Taken with fat increases absorption too.

I remember reading that D3 absorption is enhanced by k2 and that you shouldn't take calcium. Taken with fat increases absorption too.

Not true, none of it.

Vitamin K2 may be synergistic with Vitamin D. Vitamin D increases osteocalcin levels and calcium absorption, Vitamin K2 actives osteocalcin by carboxylating it and helps calcium go to bone instead of into your arteries/CV system.

Taking either with calcium will not lower absorption and i believe i've seen evidence that vitamin D helps you absorb calcium when taken together.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
BL
NapsGear