YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many sets do u take to failure for each muscle?

How many sets do you take to failure for each muscle?

• Never to complete failure

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • 2-3 sets

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • 4-5 sets

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 13 18.3%

• Total voters

cashrolling

Registered
As stated above, lots of debates on this, lets see some numbers and personal experiences.........

2-3 sets each muscle is plenty for me, i also include drop sets and rest pauses in my failure sets.. But i do a lot of warm up sets.

I usually do 4-6 working sets with an additional 2-3 lighter sets to failure.

1 maybe 2.

If I'm shooting for 12 reps on my last set, and I get to 10 and fail on 11. I'll start doing 2 or 3 drop sets. For me, its the best way to get a nasty pump, and really bad DOMs the next day.

1 set to absolute and total failure (I am doing Wendler's 5/3/1).
I will come to near failure on my last couple accessory lifts too, but it is not nearly as intense as my one final work set to failure.

This is difficult to say. I do whatever JM tell me too. Life is so easy sometimes

I take every single set to absolute failure. I do 3-4 sets, all drop set, and 3-4 exercises per body part. Except quads, hams, and calves...I do 2 exercises for those muscle groups and always 4 sets per exercise.

moderate weights for me never to failure. more volume like 12 sets of 15 for chest and back. never looked or felt better. but i'm older now and trained differently 20 years ago. looking back though i wish i had trained like i am now.

I do 4-5 sets all to failed.I've been doing 20-30 reps each set with a drop set mixed in.

still trying to figure out what works best for me but i am digging the high volume training still building muslce and becoming more defined

great thread ....

There was an even better thread about a year or two ago. The title had the word "experiment" in it. But the TOP guys on this forum with pics talked about how heavy/intense/sets/reps they do now and what they did to get where they are. Just most of these types of threads are pointless unless 1. we clarify definitions (failure) 2. pics to see what a username has developed under these methods.

Last edited:
There was an even better thread about a year or two ago. The title had the word "experiment" in it. But the TOP guys on this forum with pics talked about how heavy/intense/sets/reps they do now and what they did to get where they are. Just most of these types of threads are pointless unless 1. we clarify definitions (failure) 2. pics to see what a username has developed under these methods.

With failure i mean to reach that point where the muscle is completely unable to move the weight ,even giving maximum effort.I know there are many ways of failure, but im trying to keep it simple.Instead of failure we can also call it an all out set.

looked the thread up:
http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/44269-experiment.html

With failure i mean to reach that point where the muscle is completely unable to move the weight ,even giving maximum effort.I know there are many ways of failure, but im trying to keep it simple.Instead of failure we can also call it an all out set.

No one helps me grind out a few extra? Am I able to push the bar to the top (ex if doing bench/squat) and rack it myself - just not able to do 1 more full rep? Or is it sitting on my chest impossible to rack w/o help?

I think our hitting on the last one but could be wrong.

Around 2-3 any more and its branch warren steez

never absolute failure where i absolutely cannot lift the weight into the eccentric portion of the movement, you know when that is coming on anyways

the closest thing is if i don't get as many reps as i predicted due to me being worn out, exhausted from something else, but i know it during the set

i do dropsets to slight positive failure though, that is a different concept though altogether. i know when i fail and instead of trying that extra rep i then just move down in the weight.

though usually i stop 1 rep short of failure for safety reasons as well as cns reasons

No one helps me grind out a few extra? Am I able to push the bar to the top (ex if doing bench/squat) and rack it myself - just not able to do 1 more full rep? Or is it sitting on my chest impossible to rack w/o help?

I think our hitting on the last one but could be wrong.

Yes, mening u are not able to rerack the weight urself ,u get stuck unless someone helps u to do an extra couple of forced reps.

I was doing two movements per body part , one "rest pause" set totaling 15-18 reps , basicly use a weight you can do 8-9 reps then fail , stay with that weight hit a set to fail , 10-15 second break hit it again to fail , 10-15 second break the. again to fail , total reps should be 15-18 , drink some shake clear weights , set up next movement and hit that on same way generally 5-6 min break between movements.

these are working sets after a couple warm up sets

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner