which is better

• lat pull downs

Votes: 116 25.6%
  • pull ups

Votes: 337 74.4%

• Total voters

GorillaGenetics

Registered
same grip on both and u can add weight to the pull ups which will spark more growth?

For some reason doing pull ups strains the hell out of the tendons in my right bicep. I don't have nearly as much an issue with pulldowns, even with the same grip. For this reason I rarely do pull ups. If there's any question of the benefit of pull ups though, just look at some of the backs of guys that have been in prison for a while.

I have the same problem w/ the biceps tendon. Thought it was just me. I'm pretty much gonna have to do pulldowns from here on in.

Yep, pull ups for me are far more effective, unfortunately I have bad tendonitis that flares up severely with pull ups, so I do lat pull downs, etc.

Moving your body freely through space will always produce better progression than any cable exercise.

Boy did I want to flame this

But my back sucks. I only do pull/chin ups. (meaning no pull downs) I'm 46 and my elbows always hurt. I've even gone to PT for my elbow troubles.

Maybe it's time to start on lat pull downs with different grips. At least for me, the chins aren't working. Time to check my ego at the gym door.

Last edited:
Moving your body freely through space will always produce better progression than any cable exercise.

Agreed. Plus, when you do pullups, you are working several muscles. With lat pull downs, you are concentrating only certain muscles.

Pull-up's.... The best for back width, bar none.

Agreed. Plus, when you do pullups, you are working several muscles. With lat pull downs, you are concentrating only certain muscles.

I even feel pullups in my traps!! I never really did them before until recently, i doubt ill ever go back to pull downs..

I even feel pullups in my traps!! I never really did them before until recently, i doubt ill ever go back to pull downs..

I would skip the regular front lat pulldowns, but still keep behind the neck pulldowns for contest prep......

Hahahah.....I hear ya bro, my days are done too.

Never had a day.. im entirely to tall.. I would have to weigh what i do now and be shredded to compete.. O well i can watch others...

pull ups all they way,when i do free weight pull ups i get a crazy pum p like 2 sets in and i feel better and stronger doin those then pull downs

X2
-JS

Pull ups hands down. I think both exercises are good for certain things, but over all pull ups make you strong and thick. There is no comparison as far as the two go for power and mass.

pull ups!

Pull ups are far superior! Though not many people are willing to go through weeks of just doing partial reps or sets of 2-3. And I agree that they can be very painful for people going through tendon trouble. But DAMN they work like no other for lat width and some bicep thickness.Great post to get some sh#t stirred up.

I do both... ;)

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner