over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

You have to get stronger

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
You will never see a truly massive bodybuilder who can't lift heavy ass weight. Period. Sure, you can look like Frank Zane by focusing on form, intensity, etc. But if you want to get big, you will have to get strong. You will never have truly huge, world class level pecs, if you can't load up 405 plates and rep it out. Etc. This is why I think it might make sense for some guys to take a break from a pure bodybuilding routine and spend some time doing a more powerbuilding/powerlifting type of routine. Build the strength first, and then once you can move the heavy weight, focus on increasing reps with good form. ,

The key is to do 7 sets to facilitate fascia stretching [emoji846]

If you do 6 or 8, you’ve effectively ruined your workout. Gotta be 7, don’t forget that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"heavy" is relative imo.

When Phil Hernon was my trainer i told him in the beginning, i am not very strong for as big as i am. felt kinda ashamed about it lol.
but he flipped it, his reply," that's good, you dont have to lift as heavy to grow, so less likely to get injured.":)

405lbs feels like 405lbs to you, to me it feels like 505... i never did and never will do reps with 405 on anything but legs lol:eek: but i LOOKED like i could:star-w:rs
-F2S

Last edited:
I will say I agree with OP about the topic and wanting to be huge...

BUT

I’d opt for a body like Frank Zane ANY DAY over any BBer physique... Physiques like Zane drops panties..

Periods of power trains build potential for more productive periods of hypertrophy. This is especially important for younger lifters, and even more so for natural ones.

The guys with 20 years lifting, competing, gear ... have nothing more to gain with lower repetitions.

PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD
and
TIME UNDER TENSION.
Train, eat, sleep, use hormones(or don't) and hope your genetics as well as genetic response is exceptional.

Is the OP trying to be an author or influencer? Teacher? Starting a debate? Threads like this piss me off unless they are coming from someone who is a legend at having been there and done that. The end.

I trained heavy as fuck 25yrs ago,405lb bench,365lb behind the neck presses,700lb+ ass to ankle squats,1500lb leg press,etc all with good,proper form...now at 50 all I have to show for it is a broken body w lots of old injuries. No pain,no gain blah blah blah. Been there,done that.

If I had to do it all over again,I'd do it a lot differently

I trained heavy as fuck 25yrs ago,405lb bench,365lb behind the neck presses,700lb+ ass to ankle squats,1500lb leg press,etc all with good,proper form...now at 50 all I have to show for it is a broken body w lots of old injuries. No pain,no gain blah blah blah. Been there,done that.

If I had to do it all over again,I'd do it a lot differently

I guess the other side of this is that you look fantastic for 50 years old. The size you carry was built by those poundages.

I think people should still take your post seriously; learn from someone who’s been through it all. Experience trumps everything.

Bodybuilders are extreme personalities; the only way to the other side is through for most guys. We see this with training, health, everything...

Maybe 375 for 20 reps is better than 500 for 8. It’s better to rotate out an exercise if it keeps tweaking something instead of tearing an entire muscle off because “you had to bench”. At least that’s what I gather when coming across posts from experienced guys.

It's the younger guys who need to read these posts and listen to others experiences and learn from them.
I know when i joined the forum 10+ years ago I would read these posts and make up some excuse or reason why others experiences or knowledge didn't affect or help me. I was young and dumb thinking I knew what was best, fuck everyone else. I'm special and know what I'm doing.

I'm now in my mid thirties and have some injuries/issues I won't recover from. Some days j feel like a old man. I can only imagine how I'll feel in another 10 years.

I really wish i actually read posts like these so I could have avoided alot of issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I prefer the aesthetic look.
Serge Nubret did volume training with moderate weight.
If you are lucky enough to live to 50 you’ll wish you lifted this way.
My body hurts all the time. I always had to try to lift heavier. It always ended with an injury.

Attachments

• 74161AFF-128A-45B9-AD5B-6F89DA9D549C.jpeg
    74161AFF-128A-45B9-AD5B-6F89DA9D549C.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 448
i was stronger than most guys at my gym who werent actual power lifters, and yet....i wasnt nearly as big.
lotsa guys were amazed by the weight i could move with good form, while i was amazed by how much bigger they were lifting lighter weights.
as was put to me more than once, they'd say they'd rather look strong than be strong, while carrying more mass per inch than i.
so bullshit on that gotta be strong mentality.

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to settle for looking like Frank Zane instead of a cartoon character weirdo freak of nature with a broken body....

Quite frankly I would tell some the exact opposite, destroying your body for a slightly better build is ridiculous and you should use less weight to spare yourself. The biggest guy I know one of my best friends lifts super two spotter heavy every session, he’s 34 and can barely pick up his kid his joints are so bad.

The key is to do 7 sets to facilitate fascia stretching [emoji846]

If you do 6 or 8, you’ve effectively ruined your workout. Gotta be 7, don’t forget that

I love a bit of FST-7 (true story) :D

One day I couldn't remember if I had done 6 or 7 sets so I may have done 1 extra so I ruined my workout :eek::D

One of the major lessons I have learn over the past 35 years of training. THERE ARE NO ABSOLUTES WHEN IT COMES TO BODYBUILDING. If your training hard enough to put your body in a very uncomfortable state, it's hard to go wrong from there, I believe that why intensity trumps about everything when it comes to training.

You will never see a truly massive bodybuilder who can't lift heavy ass weight. Period. Sure, you can look like Frank Zane by focusing on form, intensity, etc. But if you want to get big, you will have to get strong. You will never have truly huge, world class level pecs, if you can't load up 405 plates and rep it out. Etc. This is why I think it might make sense for some guys to take a break from a pure bodybuilding routine and spend some time doing a more powerbuilding/powerlifting type of routine. Build the strength first, and then once you can move the heavy weight, focus on increasing reps with good form. ,

^^^so by this rational ..the strongest guys should be the most developed, right?

..plenty of strong guys out there that were/are far from the most developed guys (..n' vice versa)

The problem here is that everyone translates HEAVY to meaning under 5 reps.

Like someone already said, heavy is relative.

If you squat 225 and hit failure at 8 or 9 reps. Amazing.
But if you can squat 655 and hit failure at 8 or 9 reps. Amazing.

It's the same shit.
Overall, I think the goal of everybody builder SHOULD BE to slowly beat those 8 or 9 reps OR....squat 235 for the same amount.

How heavy someone can lift is relative to themselves. More muscle fibers are better. But depending on limb length, where tendons attach etc. People can look like they have less muscle yet still lift more. As for the younger guys taking heed of what the old farts...I mean old timers say. Well good luck. I didn't listen much when I was younger and I don't think to many generations that came before me did either. Probably due to higher test levels when you are young.

Some of your replies:

(1) "trained heavy but got injured." - thats your fault for not warming up properly, doing stretches, accessory work, protecting your joints and rotator cuff, doing actuve recovery throughout the week, etc.

(2) "trained heavy but wasn't the biggest." - heavy movements alone won't necessarily make you big. But once you are able to lift heavy, and then you transition to bodybuilding workouts using that heavy weight, you will be much larger than if you did bodybuilding workouts with less weight.

(3) "the strongest guys aren't always the biggest and some weak guys are very big." --- yeah, but the strongest guys aren't always putting that strength into bodybuilding workouts, some of the biggest guys just have great genetics, etc.

The size of a muscle is directly related to it's strength. Simple physics, folks.

PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD
and
TIME UNDER TENSION.
Train, eat, sleep, use hormones(or don't) and hope your genetics as well as genetic response is exceptional.

Is the OP trying to be an author or influencer? Teacher? Starting a debate? Threads like this piss me off unless they are coming from someone who is a legend at having been there and done that. The end.

Progressive overload????

Are you saying..... "You have to get stronger"?!?!?!?!?

What are you, a legend? Trying to be an influencer?!?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws