advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Any Pharmaceutical Sales Representative? (Legal)

Chris_Befoul

Registered
Just like the title says I'm curious if there are any working in this field. Graduating from college in May with a Bachelor's in Science degree and have been pulling together some job options for when I graduate. I understand I would need some sale experience before I even considering applying to any jobs. Wanted to see if I could get some insight on the career from an actually sales rep instead of the generic general info you find on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a medical sales rep (capital and disposables). I can tell you that you will more than likely need sales experience before getting hired on as a pharma rep. The pharma industry is flooded with reps trying to find jobs and many have been laid off due to restructures in the recent years. Unless you have a connection that is very close to the regional manager or is the regional manager, you chances of getting in are slim to none. I'm not trying to shoot you down, just giving you the reality of it. Some companies due offer intern positions that can segway into a sales role. Another possibility is to look for start up companies (both medical and pharma) as they will hire with little to no experience.

A lot of b2b companies will offer a salary (usually around 30k), a company car, cover gas costs, phone, laptop. Its not a bad gig for out of college and is usually where most medical and pharma reps start.

I personally would suggest trying to go the medical device route over pharma. Pharma you can make $100k if you are good, $125k-$150k if you are the top. Medical devices, especially those that sell capital can make double that easily. Example, one of the reps i work with just made a little under $60k in commission last month, ontop of his $80k salary.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

I'm a medical sales rep (capital and disposables). I can tell you that you will more than likely need sales experience before getting hired on as a pharma rep. The pharma industry is flooded with reps trying to find jobs and many have been laid off due to restructures in the recent years. Unless you have a connection that is very close to the regional manager or is the regional manager, you chances of getting in are slim to none. I'm not trying to shoot you down, just giving you the reality of it. Some companies due offer intern positions that can segway into a sales role. Another possibility is to look for start up companies (both medical and pharma) as they will hire with little to no experience.

A lot of b2b companies will offer a salary (usually around 30k), a company car, cover gas costs, phone, laptop. Its not a bad gig for out of college and is usually where most medical and pharma reps start.

I personally would suggest trying to go the medical device route over pharma. Pharma you can make $100k if you are good, $125k-$150k if you are the top. Medical devices, especially those that sell capital can make double that easily. Example, one of the reps i work with just made a little under $60k in commission last month, ontop of his $80k salary.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks for chiming in Godfather I really appreciate it. I have been considering getting an internship with a company upon graduating.
What would you consider as adequate sales experience?

I'm doing personal training at a franchise style gym making commission based off the packages I sell; would this be good experience or do I need to search out a different kind of experience?

As far as the industry being flooded with reps is that as in a whole or only in your area?

Also is it only flooded in pharma or is this also occurring in the medical devices field?

Sorry for all of the questions, just really trying to get some insight on everything and see what my options are.

Forgot to also mention I have some medical field experience from an internship done in a Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation center. That's what really sparked my interest after having someone come in and give us a walk through on the LifeVest.

Thanks for chiming in Godfather I really appreciate it. I have been considering getting an internship with a company upon graduating.
What would you consider as adequate sales experience?

I'm doing personal training at a franchise style gym making commission based off the packages I sell; would this be good experience or do I need to search out a different kind of experience?

As far as the industry being flooded with reps is that as in a whole or only in your area?

Also is it only flooded in pharma or is this also occurring in the medical devices field?

Sorry for all of the questions, just really trying to get some insight on everything and see what my options are.

When pharma and medical companies list "sales experience" they speaking B2B sales experience. They do not consider gym sales, car sales, retail sales as "sales experience". Generally, most prefer several years of B2B sales experience to get into pharma or entry level medical sales job. Having said that, its a number game. Do not expect to send out 5 or 10 resumes and get a response. If you can relocate that will also help you out (im not sure where you live but if you live in a smaller city / state, its going to be hard to locate a job as people hold onto them).

The market in general is flooded, and is not location specific. Pharma is know to lay off a decent portion of their sales force every 5 years or so and acquire new employees for lower pay. Pharma is a great place to start. You can easily make $100k working under 35 hours a week. However, you are scripted in what you say and the vast majority of physicians hate you.

Medical sales is where its at. It's definitely harder unless you are with the top players in the market but the chances of getting a sales role with them right out of college is exactly 0%. If you try and go through medical sales recruiters they will probably say come back after you have 2-3 years of b2b sales.

Having said that, people do get lucky (such as myself). Your resume needs to look damn impressive in how you structure it along with a cover letter. Your best chances are to get hired with a start up that doesn't pay much but after a year you can jump ship and move on. Some companies offer internship programs but usually want you in school while doing them.

While I do not have a business degree (will be getting my MBA however), most prefer a business or Science degree.

B2B sales is not a bad start and I would not rule it out if pharma / medical is where you want to be. A lot of B2B sales jobs will offer an ok salary, company car, gas, cell phone, computer, benefits, bonus, etc. It's a good place to learn how to grow your own territory as most pharma and medical jobs are going to expect you to know how to run it already.

Forgot to also mention I have some medical field experience from an internship done in a Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation center. That's what really sparked my interest after having someone come in and give us a walk through on the LifeVest.

If you want to get into cardiac / pulmonary, you must have previous experience.

Going back to my previous posts about B2B. If medical or pharma is where you want to be, do not rule out b2b sales. I really enjoy my job and the pay can be extremely rewarding. Sometimes it just means starting out in b2b for a few years in order to get there.

Also,

Spend the time with a counselor or ask where you can get your resume professional done. There are people who will specifically tailor your resume for a business sales and or medical sales job. The typical resume will not fly when going for these jobs. In addition to the resume, make sure you have a good cover letter and save it. You can alter the cover letter for each business easily.

Feel free to PM me with any questions and ill help out as best as I can.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbmike99
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws