over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Improving sales advice/closing the sale

JustWannaBeHuge

FOUNDING Member / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Hey guys, question for you... for the men and women here that are successful at sales, can I get some advice on improving my sales skills? Any books/videos that you were just "wow"ed by?

Right now, I work in sales ops dept, but I want to move back into sales as that is where the better pay is. My sales skills are "decent", I've had inside sales jobs, but never had an outside sales position (where I'm the one that has to prospect, any advice on that is also welcome), but I have been looking at those more and more lately. I am in school to finish up my degree, but it's taking awhile and several classes didn't transfer to the new degree.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone is a member of any sales forums, please PM me, I would love to check them out as I've only been finding BS forums lately, mainly people just trying to push a product.

Thank you!

I'm an insurance agent and everything I make is based on sales. I get NO SALARY, straight commission. The biggest thing to be honest with you, you have to believe in what you are selling. I can't sell a policy for a company that I think has a crap policy ya know. Even if it means I lose the business, I just can't do it. Because of that, I typicaly am able to get the business at a higher premium with a different company.

Hey guys, question for you... for the men and women here that are successful at sales, can I get some advice on improving my sales skills? Any books/videos that you were just "wow"ed by?

Right now, I work in sales ops dept, but I want to move back into sales as that is where the better pay is. My sales skills are "decent", I've had inside sales jobs, but never had an outside sales position (where I'm the one that has to prospect, any advice on that is also welcome), but I have been looking at those more and more lately. I am in school to finish up my degree, but it's taking awhile and several classes didn't transfer to the new degree.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone is a member of any sales forums, please PM me, I would love to check them out as I've only been finding BS forums lately, mainly people just trying to push a product.

Thank you!

great question. I'm a litigation support consultant and sales is a large component of my day to day work. I was having trouble making calls today so today I found a really helpful article (I'll point you to it if I can find it.) It was basically saying that in order to have good sales, you need to get things in the pipe (obviously). But the part I thought was helpful was that it suggested defining goals, and then working backward from those and turning them into tiny, very manageable goals. For example the author wanted to make 25 cold calls a day, which was daunting. So his new goal was 5 cold calls 5 times a day. When he finished a set he would reward himself in some small way. 5 calls is much easier to make than 25 was his point, but this will work for any goals.

One other thing I have found to be imperative is writing down your goals at the beginning of each day, and then checking them off as you go. It's really the only way to be effective; have a plan and work diligently to attack it. Having things written down is nice because the sense of accomplishment from completing each task builds on itself and helps you get through the rest of the list.

hope this helps man, you can tell I'm not much of a salesman!!!! hhahaha

Well, I have been in sales almost all of my working years after college (26 years). I have been in industrial sales. I currently hold a position as a National Sales Manager.

I firmly believe that there are two things that will put you in the top 10% of sales people, if you do them. One, get up and get out of bed and go to work, and two, follow up. Going to work means contacting prospects and customers. Following up sounds like a no brainer, but I tell you that the vast majority of so-called salespeople do not do it.

Beyond that, yes you can help yourself go higher in that top ten percent, but you will find those things on your own after you consistently start doing the two most important things.

By the way customers do not respond well to manipulation. They respond to people who show an honest interest in their business, and how your product or service may improve it in some way.

I firmly believe that there are two things that will put you in the top 10% of sales people, if you do them. One, get up and get out of bed and go to work, and two, follow up.

Follow up is important in every aspect of sales as well as life in general. I would have purchased many differant products and services if i simply got a follow up call.

I know people who would were trying to decide what car to get and would have purchased vehicles if they got a simple follow up on the visit to the dealership.

I'm an insurance agent and everything I make is based on sales. I get NO SALARY, straight commission. The biggest thing to be honest with you, you have to believe in what you are selling. I can't sell a policy for a company that I think has a crap policy ya know. Even if it means I lose the business, I just can't do it. Because of that, I typicaly am able to get the business at a higher premium with a different company.

Speak with conviction. I agree.

Give examples. People love that.

Assume the sale. Give "ok" response questions that are sort of giving them a choice but are not yes/no, like "why don't we get this started"

Nod your head when making the above remarks.

Be conversational rather than educational. Find ways to talk about them or their family, and find a way to relate or have a laugh, and then find a way to tie you and your product to that idea. People like to feel like theyre your friend. People will pay more to do business with a friend. Learn to let them think they make the decisions by keeping them verbally involved but simultaneously suggesting the answer and getting an ok.

Catching nicknames are good for conversation. Especially if you're dealing with couples. If he is James and she calls him Jim, CALL HIM JIM.
When selling a service like insurance from the above poster and your product is quality over quantity, remember, YOU as a person and as a provider ARE WORTH the prior difference when all other things are equal. You have to know and believe this. Assume the sale. If you come up on a price difference, bulldoze that shit like you know they wouldn't care because you know they know you are, or the product is, that good.

When done presenting some products, start talking about the payment. "So let's go ahead and get this started" or "how would you prefer to pay today?".

this goes back to conversational, but listen to what they care about and repeat it back to them! When you're selling a quality service, and they immediately identify their reason for calling around to be price, ask them what is most important, besides price. Then continually link your strengths back to THEIR OWN WORDS. It's good to feed peoples own words back to them to show your value.

Example:
richiec works for abc insurance, which is higher priced than many. People call richiec to try to save money. Richiec asks whats #1 other than price, and quickly identifies that other than price, the people hate phone menus. So does richiec!! Tell them that! Quickly bullshit some story about a time the phone company made you wait an hour! Richiec is local, meaning no menu. You can contact richiec any time you want, and if a problem comes, you know where to find him! Richiec quotes, his price is higher. He plows through with "why dont we get this started today!" And proceeds to finish and collect payment. Assumes. Even though he's higher. Why? RICHIEC IS WORTH THE MONEY AND HE KNOWS IT. plus, the customer hates menus and richiec answers the phone immediately. Hey, the customer himself said it! He's just repeating it!

Plus richiec has probably chatted in passing about family, has related to them on a personal level on hating the same thin,gs. He's practically their friend.

People will pay more to do business with people they like on a personal level. NEVER FORGET THAT.

Last edited:
Follow up is important in every aspect of sales as well as life in general. I would have purchased many differant products and services if i simply got a follow up call.

I know people who would were trying to decide what car to get and would have purchased vehicles if they got a simple follow up on the visit to the dealership.

Especially if they contact you VIA a service that may refer their information to several companies to quickly get them several quotes. Like those internet "get 10 prices in 10 minutes!" People get overwhelmed and say screw it. The guy who calls back 3 months later when the person isn't just screening a flood of calls, sparks the interest again with zero competition!

By the way customers do not respond well to manipulation. They respond to people who show an honest interest in their business, and how your product or service may improve it in some way.

So spot on. You want to feed back their own statements because its their own comments stating why they should do business with you, not some trick or pushiness. Listen to them. Conversation also helps prevent the gloss-over from too much info. Be personal. Find a way to work their values into the conversation. Not just for the product... but to be a friend. They should walk out or hang up, even if you don't sell, with a smile, thinking "damn that was one good guy!" They should hear a smile in your voice. You gotta believe in what you offer.

I get referrals from people who didn't even do business with me because they liked ME so much. They trusted and liked me. Both personable and professional.

Speak with confidence and avoid slang... Absolutely. Definitely. Of course. Sure! Confident and definite.

Last edited:
The best training I ever got to go to was put on but Paul Cummings.

paulcummings.com

Very motivational and some of the stuff he says will just hit you like a truck when it dawns on you what you were missing.

thanks for all of the information everyone, I appreciate all of the advice, I'm also going to check out Paul's website.

Right now, I'm waiting for a spot to open up for a sales position at the company I'm with. It's a publishing company that sells medical (anything in the health care field) textbooks to the colleges and trade schools across the US.

The other position I am going to apply for is a merchant account sales rep. Basically selling merchant accounts to companies to allow them to process credit cards. I have a few years experience working for a merchant company before, but not in sales. If I can't get hired by a good company, or a Bank, I'm thinking of going as an ISR (Independent Sales Rep) with the 2 biggest processors and see how that works out. It'll be 100% commission and also no leads provided, so I was really trying to get with a bank, but I'll have to wait and see if they decide to call me in for an interview.

Speak with conviction. I agree.

Give examples. People love that.

Assume the sale. Give "ok" response questions that are sort of giving them a choice but are not yes/no, like "why don't we get this started"

Nod your head when making the above remarks.

Be conversational rather than educational. Find ways to talk about them or their family, and find a way to relate or have a laugh, and then find a way to tie you and your product to that idea. People like to feel like theyre your friend. People will pay more to do business with a friend. Learn to let them think they make the decisions by keeping them verbally involved but simultaneously suggesting the answer and getting an ok.

Catching nicknames are good for conversation. Especially if you're dealing with couples. If he is James and she calls him Jim, CALL HIM JIM.
When selling a service like insurance from the above poster and your product is quality over quantity, remember, YOU as a person and as a provider ARE WORTH the prior difference when all other things are equal. You have to know and believe this. Assume the sale. If you come up on a price difference, bulldoze that shit like you know they wouldn't care because you know they know you are, or the product is, that good.

When done presenting some products, start talking about the payment. "So let's go ahead and get this started" or "how would you prefer to pay today?".

this goes back to conversational, but listen to what they care about and repeat it back to them! When you're selling a quality service, and they immediately identify their reason for calling around to be price, ask them what is most important, besides price. Then continually link your strengths back to THEIR OWN WORDS. It's good to feed peoples own words back to them to show your value.

Example:
richiec works for abc insurance, which is higher priced than many. People call richiec to try to save money. Richiec asks whats #1 other than price, and quickly identifies that other than price, the people hate phone menus. So does richiec!! Tell them that! Quickly bullshit some story about a time the phone company made you wait an hour! Richiec is local, meaning no menu. You can contact richiec any time you want, and if a problem comes, you know where to find him! Richiec quotes, his price is higher. He plows through with "why dont we get this started today!" And proceeds to finish and collect payment. Assumes. Even though he's higher. Why? RICHIEC IS WORTH THE MONEY AND HE KNOWS IT. plus, the customer hates menus and richiec answers the phone immediately. Hey, the customer himself said it! He's just repeating it!

Plus richiec has probably chatted in passing about family, has related to them on a personal level on hating the same thin,gs. He's practically their friend.

People will pay more to do business with people they like on a personal level. NEVER FORGET THAT.

Dude, do we know each other? lol

You pretty much went through my sales technique to the T. I ALWAYS talk to people about their families, kids, grandkids, dogs, anything to talk about! People LOVE to talk, and LOVE when people listen.

I have, literaly, tried my best to turn a customer away because it wasn't fair to him to pay so much for a policy, and I had just met him. He REFUSED to leave without a policy! I sold it to him and he will be a customer for life! Do your best to help the customer, genuinly help them. They will take notice and WILL PAY MORE when you try to help. If you don't get the sales now, make it sweet, so they come back and remember you next time! I would say 75% of my conversations with customers has nothing to do with insurance, it's casual/personal coversation. People LOVE when you know something about them and ask them about it (assuming it's good lol). My customers dog broke its leg 2 months ago and I ask them how he's doing each time I see them, it lets them know I care, because I do. My customers aren't policy numbers or a paycheck, they are people! Remember that, you WILL be successful!

Well, I have been in sales almost all of my working years after college (26 years). I have been in industrial sales. I currently hold a position as a National Sales Manager.

I firmly believe that there are two things that will put you in the top 10% of sales people, if you do them. One, get up and get out of bed and go to work, and two, follow up. Going to work means contacting prospects and customers. Following up sounds like a no brainer, but I tell you that the vast majority of so-called salespeople do not do it.

Beyond that, yes you can help yourself go higher in that top ten percent, but you will find those things on your own after you consistently start doing the two most important things.

I am also in industrial sales. Shoot me a pm, always good to have another contact.

yup. and being honest

I think learning marketing with regards to lead gen/conversion etc.. will help you out more than reading most "sales" tip books...

figure out why that customer is in your business in the first place, what got him there... etc. etc..

other than that..providing more value than you're taking from them...

I work in medical equipment/disposables sales and I have to echo about just get out of bed everyday and you'll win. So many of my coworkers don't even work on Friday, but that's the best day, everyone is relaxed looking forward to the weekend.

I work in Car Sales and lately i have found the best months i had were not the ones where i did the most follow ups or spent the most time with each lead. It was the months where i took the most "Ups/leads/customers". Following up is great if the prospect is worth following up on. My biggest mistake was i used to waste too much time with people with fucked up credit and people who werent serious about buying a car today.

I work in Car Sales and lately i have found the best months i had were not the ones where i did the most follow ups or spent the most time with each lead. It was the months where i took the most "Ups/leads/customers". Following up is great if the prospect is worth following up on. My biggest mistake was i used to waste too much time with people with fucked up credit and people who werent serious about buying a car today.

To be clear, let me note that I am talking about an industrial type sale. For example. I was at a mine last week where I was asked two technical questions about a product. From my personal experience being sold to over the years, and observing my peers, I can guarantee that 80% would not follow up with the information. (I did of course). Did I get that sale yet? No, because this is only the beginning of the process. There will now be other players brought in, possibly demonstrations, possibly site visits to other facilities where the same product is in use, etc.

There are some products that have a multi-year sales cycle. There are some b2b products that are short cycle -- more of the commodities type. I used to sell personal protective equipment. For the most part you could leave with at least a trial order on the first call. But in all cases you better follow up.

Some companies, like some people don't have money. So you just stay in touch. They don't want to waste their own time either by the way.

In this day of email and contact management software, it is inexcusable to not send a follow up letter (via email) after every meeting, including many phone meetings/interactions. I used to mail out thank you notes after all meetings (back when, pre-internet). I stopped this though and started typing actual letters of follow up as a business partner. I realized that was the real message I wished to convey. Now, my email letters are similar. I still start with "Thank you for your time yesterday." But the thanks for seeing me, please, pretty please, think about maybe buying something from me, I have an expense account, attitude is not there. But, even those types are better than none, because MOST SALES PEOPLE NEVER FOLLOW UP AT ALL.

Prior to a meeting with several attendees, it is a very professional act to send out an agenda.

I've been selling Mercedes-Benz for 7 years now basically since I finished college. I love the product and basically sell the whole package of what someone is getting which is great service from me and the dealership as well as a great product. In my field people jsut want to know they are going to be looked after if a problem comes up. Selling to me isn`t the technical stuff but the relationship though you obviously do need to know what you are talking about.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131