over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice once I graduate

BushMan

Registered
I'm a couple months away from graduating with a degree in Communications and a minor in Business. I have no idea what I want to do once I graduate so for now I'd like to find a good job that has a good potential for advancement.

I've had a couple jobs here and there but I was very busy with being a div1 athlete so my resume won't look amazing. But I am told that being a college athlete does look good on resumes tho. I am naturally a very sociable person and good with people and a great team leader. I was introduced to a head hunter and he is going to help me with my resume.

Basically, does anyone have any type of advice for me before I head out into this cold, jobless world haha. Really any type of advice would be appreciated from: good companies to work for, what I should look for in a job, or just motivational quotes.

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in answers

Honestly its probably going to be extremely difficult for you to find a well paying job let alone something you like. Now if thats the case dont get discouraged just keep looking and try to land something that will help you get real world experience under your belt. Also im not sure what exactly communications degree involves but maybe its something you could use to join a government agency as a civilian

To be honest I wasn't expecting to find something I enjoy. I understand I'll need to pay my dues before I can open any doors into a career I'll enjoy that pays well.

You could always go back to school for a discipline that affords industrially applicable skills.

Or you'll probably get stuck in a commissions based sales job (which can lead to huge bucks if you are the right person)

Unless you have had a lengthy internship at multiple companies or with 1 company that will grandfather you in I wouldn't bet on a job that will take you that would require any experience like that. (as in PR, which is what lots of comm guys I have seen try to do, lots of these guys have marketing experience as well)

Good luck brother

Look into some of the oilfield service companies like bakerhughes shlumberger Halliburton ect they all have management positions and sales positions. Good pay and benefits ect

Heres the cold hard truth, no offense intended so not going to sugar coat it bud.

1) You mention your minor, no one cares what your minor is

2) You have a comms degree. Knowledge without mileage for the most part is bullshit. No matter what you need a degree, just don't expect to work in that field right off the bat. People do care what your degree is once you have an advanced one. IE masters etc. A standard bachelors degree tells me that you could commit to something for a few years, it doesn't tell me anything about your aptitude in that field.

3) For any real position no one cares about you being a college athlete. If I were to get a resume and that was on there, and trust me I have, it would go straight into the trash.

Now for actual advice, what is it that you really want to do? I'm sure we can get you on that pathway.

The largest mistake people make is limiting themselves geographically. My little brother currently goes to Baylor. Hes starting to get into the culinary scene pretty heavily. Instead of him working at joe blows kitchen in Waco TX making 8$ an hour I am getting him an apprenticeship to work in a kitchen in Dubai making about 8K a month with no real experience.

Not only will that look amazing on his resume but its a real opportunity with networking possibilities and offers actual growth.

Look into working out of the country is the best advice I can give you. Also a masters if you really want to work in comms.

Heres the cold hard truth, no offense intended so not going to sugar coat it bud.

1) You mention your minor, no one cares what your minor is

2) You have a comms degree. Knowledge without mileage for the most part is bullshit. No matter what you need a degree, just don't expect to work in that field right off the bat. People do care what your degree is once you have an advanced one. IE masters etc. A standard bachelors degree tells me that you could commit to something for a few years, it doesn't tell me anything about your aptitude in that field.

3) For any real position no one cares about you being a college athlete. If I were to get a resume and that was on there, and trust me I have, it would go straight into the trash.

Now for actual advice, what is it that you really want to do? I'm sure we can get you on that pathway.

The largest mistake people make is limiting themselves geographically. My little brother currently goes to Baylor. Hes starting to get into the culinary scene pretty heavily. Instead of him working at joe blows kitchen in Waco TX making 8$ an hour I am getting him an apprenticeship to work in a kitchen in Dubai making about 8K a month with no real experience.

Not only will that look amazing on his resume but its a real opportunity with networking possibilities and offers actual growth.

Look into working out of the country is the best advice I can give you.
Also a masters if you really want to work in comms.

Actually I don't agree with that statement what so ever. I have a high school diploma and make that here in a slow economy. The best advice I will give is, if you guys put as much effort into your career and work as you do in BB, you will go far. ;)

When you get a comm degree at my university you pretty much have to get a minor haha. As far as being a student athlete goes I've seen basketball players get thrown into 100k+ jobs after they graduated with a 2.0. Is it bullshit? Absolutely. Do i expect to make that much out of college? Hell no. Although we are considered the hardest working team on campus, nobody off campus knows the swim team.

I'm on my phone and will come up with better responses once i get home.

Actually I don't agree with that statement what so ever. I have a high school diploma and make that here in a slow economy. The best advice I will give is, if you guys put as much effort into your career and work as you do in BB, you will go far. ;)

Being honest here, what my little brother will be making is an extremely nominal amount. He will be making 7,500$ a month apprenticing at a restaurant, essentially washing dishes and observing. He has NO previous work experience, no experience at all in a kitchen, and no culinary training and he will be starting out at 7,500...

When you get a comm degree at my university you pretty much have to get a minor haha. As far as being a student athlete goes I've seen basketball players get thrown into 100k+ jobs after they graduated with a 2.0. Is it bullshit? Absolutely. Do i expect to make that much out of college? Hell no. Although we are considered the hardest working team on campus, nobody off campus knows the swim team.

I'm on my phone and will come up with better responses once i get home.

Having to get a minor I think is pretty standard, most of us have one. I wouldn't do any more than briefly mention it though. IE bach in coms, minor in business when it comes to your education.

It depends on the type of position really. My friends and I own a defense firm. Pay starts around the 250K mark up to the mid seven figures. For a position of that caliber if I saw... "college athletic experience this and that" the resume would go straight into the trash.

Now for an IT position I did just fill kid just graduated from MIT right around 120K a year, hes one of the few without prior work experience. He briefly noted athletic experience. For him its more of a way of stating he does have social skills and won't be locked in a closet playing WOW all day if that makes sense.

Look into jobs throughout the UAE etc, base pay is usually 150K and housing/utilities/vehicle paid for.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think being a student-athlete from the school I'm from is more valuable then my degree. My coach has good connections because he has sent those companies amazing employees before (he's been coaching for over 30 years at the same school) and our head athletic director is in the same position.

An example is when I was working at a toyota dealership (athletic director got for me) for just $10 an hour but within 6 weeks got offered a promotion making an estimated (average for this job) 70k a year simply because I was running circles around my coworkers and they saw I was way more valuable then $10 an hour. I didn't take it because it was just a summer gig and I had to go back to school. My boss didn't know that so he said the position will still be there when i graduate. Long story short, I didn't like their ethics, so I'm not going back.

I have no desire to work in communications once I graduate but I may go back to graduate school.

I work in the finance industry and we love athletes. No idea why someone wouldn't put that on their resume, I sure as hell would if I played sports in college.

To be honest, I think being a student-athlete from the school I'm from is more valuable then my degree. My coach has good connections because he has sent those companies amazing employees before (he's been coaching for over 30 years at the same school) and our head athletic director is in the same position.

An example is when I was working at a toyota dealership (athletic director got for me) for just $10 an hour but within 6 weeks got offered a promotion making an estimated (average for this job) 70k a year simply because I was running circles around my coworkers and they saw I was way more valuable then $10 an hour. I didn't take it because it was just a summer gig and I had to go back to school. My boss didn't know that so he said the position will still be there when i graduate. Long story short, I didn't like their ethics, so I'm not going back.

I have no desire to work in communications once I graduate but I may go back to graduate school.

Right now you need to focus on getting relevant work experience in a field you are interested in. You being a college athlete doesn't mean anything, what does mean something is the networking and the weight of your coaches recommendation. If I call someone and ask them to hire friend X they will, even if the individual is mentally retarded. It has to do with networking and the weight/value that goes with the individual's opinion, not your worth as an athlete.

I work in the finance industry and we love athletes. No idea why someone wouldn't put that on their resume, I sure as hell would if I played sports in college.

If you put college athlete on an application for a medium level-high end position I have to be very blunt, frankly its laughable. College athlete doesn't mean anything. They are everywhere, its not a unique skill set for a career. Thats like me saying "Beat pokemon red in 8 days" on my CV.

I can understand for entry level/slightly mid level positions before one has enough experience to have a professional resume/cv on the other hand.

Being honest here, what my little brother will be making is an extremely nominal amount. He will be making 7,500$ a month apprenticing at a restaurant, essentially washing dishes and observing. He has NO previous work experience, no experience at all in a kitchen, and no culinary training and he will be starting out at 7,500...

Wow... Your littlw brother is one lucky son of a gun to have a big brother like you providing him with the hookup of a lifetime

Connections are great. Sadly i dont feel i have any worth anything in the professional world. How does one build the connections that you have?

Wow... Your littlw brother is one lucky son of a gun to have a big brother like you providing him with the hookup of a lifetime

Connections are great. Sadly i dont feel i have any worth anything in the professional world. How does one build the connections that you have?

He is a bit spoiled. I have to be honest a huge platform for my networking is the type of family that I come from. It gave me an unfair advantage but I took full advantage of it. It got me in contact with the right people in regards to my career taking off.

It really gets down to sociability, my little brother will be working at a place I frequent regularly with clients while overseas. Any time I am at a high end restaurant I always ask to speak to the chef after dinner. I won't ever hang out for more than 10-15 minutes waiting though. Compliment yet a small criticism will go far as well as taking a genuine interest in them. I will always invite them out as well afterwards with the clients and I for a few drinks.

More you frequent an establishment the more of a reputation you will earn, after a few visits the chef will come out to greet YOU! (trust me meals only get better from this point on haha).

Networking is pretty easy, image is very important. No matter your economic background wear at least a button up/slacks at all times/drive what appears to be an expensive car etc. Anyone you see that interests you always say hi and ask what they do and exchange information is a good place to launch off from. Indochino.com for good looking cheap suits.

Its the same as serial dating haha, approach everything that looks like its worth a damn. Once you get a foundation work on higher end contacts. Eventually you will be someone that people look for to connect with based off of reputation alone and you have to put forth maybe 2% of the effort. But taking a legitimate interest in people is the best asset anyone can have. People recognize that, and appreciate it... Then when it times come for a favor... milk them dry! But always reciprocate within reason.

Last edited:
Wow, a lot of pretty good info haha a lot of knowledgeable people here. Thanks guys. I'll probably be asking more questions once I find a career path.

If you put college athlete on an application for a medium level-high end position I have to be very blunt, frankly its laughable. College athlete doesn't mean anything. They are everywhere, its not a unique skill set for a career. Thats like me saying "Beat pokemon red in 8 days" on my CV.

I can understand for entry level/slightly mid level positions before one has enough experience to have a professional resume/cv on the other hand.

OP was talking about graduating, so he's looking for an entry level job.

Should intern and already have a job lined up, don't know why you waited so long. I'm over a year away from graduating with a Masters and already have an offer.

To be honest I wasn't expecting to find something I enjoy. I understand I'll need to pay my dues before I can open any doors into a career I'll enjoy that pays well.

You should expect to have the best; we usually get what we expect, so expect good things ! It applies in all areas of your life. Think about it.

Cheers.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner