advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What would be good lifts for 220 or 242lb Masters?

mtygorilla

Newbies
I am really considering training for a few masters I (40+) powerlifting contest in the 220 to 242 weight class. I am only 38, so this would be a few years out. I am interested in both RAW and Multiply events and I am wondering what kind of numbers would be good to be competitive? All three lifts, and total. I am currently drug free, but that could change. I'm not interested in world record numbers, just numbers that would make me have a solid showing at local or state events. Also, what are some of the more well known Federations?

You're going to hate this answer, but it really doesn't matter. Nobody but you and whoever you bring to the meet with you will remember it. When people are just starting out in powerlifting, some get wrapped up into this same thing, when they should be worried about getting better between each meet. It takes some awhile to learn to lift on the platform because it is very different than the gym. Somedays it will feel like there's an extra 100lbs on the bar. Also, why wait until your 40? Pick a meet about 3 months out and train for it. What you will learn is that regardless of skill level, 99% of the powerlifters will be pulling for you. I've never seen a sport where your competitor will be cheering you on and actually lend a hand if needed.
However, this doesn't answer your question. Honestly, there's no real difference between a lifter @40 years old and someone in their 20's except that the 40 year old lifter will be wiser and more savvy. For raw lifting I would say 600/400/mid 600 pull, multiply 800/mid 500 bench/mid 600 pull. Those should be respectable at the local level and have you winning most meets.

If you've never competed, don't worry too much about it.

Everything you hit will be a pr.

If you want to compete, do it.

If you're looking to win best lifter in your first meet, your best bet will be to look for a small meet.

Like the others have said, the PL community is very supportive. I personally wouldn't worry about who's lifting what. Unless it's a large meet, often times there aren't many in the Masters Division anyway. Go, have fun, and set your own personal bar! We all love to win, but I enjoyed the entire meets. You'll meet and hang out with like minded people for a weekend, and maybe even meets some new friends!

Thanks for the responses guys. I've competed in a few local events in my late teens to mid twentys, but I have a really competitive spirit and if I compete again, I just want a solid showing. I just started lifting again after a ten year layoff (long story), but after doing a little research and from the first response I believe I will be competitive when the time comes. Just after a few months back into it, my gym lifts are not real far off. I know, gym lifts are much different but they are a starting point for me.

You're going to hate this answer, but it really doesn't matter. Nobody but you and whoever you bring to the meet with you will remember it. When people are just starting out in powerlifting, some get wrapped up into this same thing, when they should be worried about getting better between each meet. It takes some awhile to learn to lift on the platform because it is very different than the gym. Somedays it will feel like there's an extra 100lbs on the bar. Also, why wait until your 40? Pick a meet about 3 months out and train for it. What you will learn is that regardless of skill level, 99% of the powerlifters will be pulling for you. I've never seen a sport where your competitor will be cheering you on and actually lend a hand if needed.
However, this doesn't answer your question. Honestly, there's no real difference between a lifter @40 years old and someone in their 20's except that the 40 year old lifter will be wiser and more savvy. For raw lifting I would say 600/400/mid 600 pull, multiply 800/mid 500 bench/mid 600 pull. Those should be respectable at the local level and have you winning most meets.

Great first post. People always tell me they could never enter a triathlon. I always say, yes you can, you just aren't going to win. But the only thing anyone will ever ask you is if you finshed. It sounds like you want to be competitive so this really isn't answering your question. But it sounds like you will make a respectable showing. And the 40 year old generally beat the 45 year olds so your timing us good.

Echoing what the others have said, I know some won't compete until they are of a certain standard, but id just do it, and have done, on the day of my 1st comp I was just competing against myself, I didn't concern myself with what others where doing tbh, ur more focused and motivated to just do well and get some nice lifts.

What i will say is a few things......

a comp is THE place for PB's, gym lifts do not count to me anymore once ur a powerlifter and have stood on the platform.....

drill the commands into your head, I failed my 2nd squat by going before the command which left me on skid row for trying for a PB and played it safe by only going a bit heavier on my 3rd (a vid cam or ipad is invaluable if this happens imo as i was able to watch what the wife recorded straight back, even though I failed the lift, I kept confidence because it hit nice depth and was a powerful lift) its easy to lose ur head if u fail a lift.

As long as u improve ur lifts each time ur achieving a goal......don't set out to be competitive as this game can bite u in the ass easily, I made mistake of competing 2 weeks after after my 1st comp again and underestimated how much they take out of you.

plan your food for the day, fluids and electrolytes as cramp can easily ruin your day! and eat light.

Im sure you know all this, but having ppl give u tips makes the day go so much easier, i always take a few days of work before comp and stay over nr the venue night before or get the wife to drive if its a close by one.....the less u have to worry about the better.

But like the others have said, the support is tremendous at a comp,very friendly and very rarely any willy waving or backstabbing

my advice, look at previous event/fed records and see. I wouldn't worry so much about lifting big (enough to fuck with form), that mentality can make you fail lifts. Find your 3 attempts for each lift and lift safely. make a PR for YOU not the meet record or federation.

try powerliftingwatch to find federations.

planning my first meet Nov. 9th

After the responses here, I have decided to enter into my first contest this November. I am 38, so I will be lifting in the sub masters class 220lb for a relatively small and newer federation NGPF. The state records here appear very low from what I was expecting, but this will be great experience. The raw record for my class in bench is 385 and after only five months back in the gym, I can better this with a pause now. This gives me nearly five months to improve my strength (which is still going up by leaps and bounds) and I am setting my goal to push 415+. I know these numbers are great, but it is a place for me to start. I may consider lifting in the equipped division instead of the raw. I just ordered my first single ply bench shirt. I am natural and even though these events are not drug tested, I plan on staying this way for a while. This event is a push pull only, and I will not be doing deadlifts because of a herniated disk in my back. I will hold off until next year to compete in a complete powerlifting event.

After the responses here, I have decided to enter into my first contest this November. I am 38, so I will be lifting in the sub masters class 220lb for a relatively small and newer federation NGPF. The state records here appear very low from what I was expecting, but this will be great experience. The raw record for my class in bench is 385 and after only five months back in the gym, I can better this with a pause now. This gives me nearly five months to improve my strength (which is still going up by leaps and bounds) and I am setting my goal to push 415+. I know these numbers are great, but it is a place for me to start. I may consider lifting in the equipped division instead of the raw. I just ordered my first single ply bench shirt. I am natural and even though these events are not drug tested, I plan on staying this way for a while. This event is a push pull only, and I will not be doing deadlifts because of a herniated disk in my back. I will hold off until next year to compete in a complete powerlifting event.

Best of luck bro!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity