over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Road to 1500

Mr.Priapus

Registered
Thought I'd introduce myself.

Spent the vast majority of my life lifting for aesthetics/BB. Started training for powerlifting exclusively 1.5 years ago. Did my first meet this past march. It was a push/pull (no squats). Finished the day with a 505lb DL and 355lb bench. I went for 400 on my final attempt at the spurring on of my friends and the score keeper at the desk. Missed it. I was planning for 380 but got caught up and listened to others and didn't stick to my plan. Lesson learned.

At the moment my gym totals are:
Bench = 375 lbs
Squat = 500 lbs
DL = 515 lbs

I'm considering doing a meet in December. It would be a full power, on my bday. I'll be 49. My goals for that meet is to break 1500 for a total. Might be considered a big jump but that's my short term goal.

So anyway that's a short version of me and why I'm here. Hope to gain some knowledge from you guys and hit my goals and maybe hopefully be able to help others along the way.

Awesome. If I can still squat 500+ when Im almost 50 Ill be a happy man. Great work and welcome to PM

Thanks brother. I do have lofty goals for a middle aged guy. Hoping to get into the elite category eventually.

Great to have you on the board brother! Keep up the good work :headbang:

Thanks guys. So far I only lifted in the 242 class. Actually weighed in at 235 in march. I had a good amount of fluff so I suppose if I really tried I could cut down to the 220 but I feel comfortable where I am. I'll happily put on some muscle and lean out as much as possible but stay at 242.

Wow Priapus we are so close. I just did my first PL meet in July weighed 234, Im 49, bench 340, squat 510 and dl 515. 1500 is a big jump. there is another meet at my gym in november my goal 220 and be stronger!!!

drwost, yep we're damn close brother. I suppose I can try and cut down to 220 and if I'm close in December before my meet I'll go for it.

I'm heading out of town in a few days for a bit. Going to start my new log for the December meet in Sept when I get back. Looking forward to it and sharing the progress here with you and getting any tips you guys have to offer.

That's awesome. And at 49, that's really awesome. I'm 43 and have to say the heavy weight puts a hurting on the joints. You do anything special to keep 'em healthy.

I just eat and eat some more my joints have been doing ok...to much volume and things start aching and the tendons start to burn...

My joints to feel a bit fried after a while. I just take an extra day off when I feel the need. Then there's always the occasional handful of Aleve.

Good to have you on board. Your lifts are with equipment or raw? Either way, at almost 50 years old very impressive. I'm half your age and I went the other way. Started out powerlifting and switched to bodybuilding style because of the hurt it was putting on the joints. I still do go heavy but lay off the singles so I don't walk around like I'm 80 lol.

Thanks Jack. I lift and compete raw. I will wear wrist wraps when benching and occasionally knee sleeves when squatting but that's about it. I'm sure I'll find a time when knee wraps are a must but until then I'll do as much as possible without the extra gear.

Well I started my training last night and having been off for a few weeks I can really feel it today. Feels good though, just have to get back into to swing of serious training. Did an early morning 75 min walk this morning as well.

As for the training log. I'm giving the Cube a try this time around. I basically took his example of a 3 week wave for my lifts. Adjusting a little for what I have available. I'll run it all the way till my meet in December. Last nights workout was a little off being as I need to figure out some of the weights for the accessory work. My grip was a limiting factor last night so I can either drop the weight or wear wrist straps for some things. I'd rather not because I obviously need to build up my grip strength but in some instances it might be worth it.

*warmed up doing 5 reps with plate/quarter/plate/quarter etc till I reached 405

- Deadlift - mid shin pin pulls - 5x2 @ 405
- Snatch Grip deadlifts - 3x5 @ 315 (should of been 2x8 but my grip gave out)
- DB Rows - 3x5-7 @ 120 (should of been 3x10 but grip gave out)
- DB Shrugs - 4x10 @ 100 (should of been 2x20 but grip again)
- Up and down planks - 5x10

Yesterday's workout:

Bench - E1 (explosive)

- Floor Presses - 8x3 @ 210
- Inc DB - 3 @ 100lb 15, 8, 6
- Standing DB Military Press - 3x10 @ 50
- Band Press Downs - 100 (max minis)
- Band Flys - 3x15 (Max minis)
- Abs - deficit reverse trunk curls 5x10

Tonight's workout:

Squat R1 (Repetition)

- Squat 1x8 @ 330
- Good Mornings, wide stance - 1x8@135, 2x8@185
- Split Squats - 3x15 @ 50
- Oly Squats - 2x25 @ 135

The oly squats at the end should of been 1 set of 50 but during the first set I felt a quick onset of a very strange 'headache' for lack of a better description. It was basically a 2inch band that went from one ear over my head to the other ear. (the ears didn't hurt just used that to state the area of the head). I sat down for a few minutes and when it subsided I did the other 25. I felt it a little on the second set but nothing near the first set. Very odd for me. Never felt that before.

Thanks Jack. I lift and compete raw. I will wear wrist wraps when benching and occasionally knee sleeves when squatting but that's about it. I'm sure I'll find a time when knee wraps are a must but until then I'll do as much as possible without the extra gear.

I respect that. I've always lifted raw as well, nothing against guys lifting with equipment but I've never felt it was all "me" if using too much junk when lifting.

That thing you experienced with your head, watch your breathing I've had something similar happen before on my heavier squat days. Seems to help by letting a bit of breath out toward the top of the rep. Be sure of course not to start letting out too early, as I'm sure you know so you don't lose tension in your core and fold in on yourself.

Question for you though, what sort of footwear do you use when squatting?

I only ask because due to my work schedule a while back I hit the gym on my way to my shifts and got used to squatting in my work boots, yesterday it let me down hard on rep number 4 I came forward too far with 5 plates on my back and had to rack it to be safe. I'm trying to get my numbers back on the rise and considering you clearly have been doing it for sometime, I would like your input if you don't mind.

First time I ever had that kind of 'headache' especially such a fast onset and it dissipated in a few minutes. Band headaches are usually stress related and I suppose trying to do a 50 rep set after all the other crap might count as that. But the breathing may be part of it.

As for my shoes, currently I wear the Adipower weightlifting shoes. I used to go barefoot for my squats but now I use the lifting shoes. I like 'em.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bg15351
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws