over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Unleashing the Beast - Road to SPF Iron Mafia oct 10

KBrown

Banned
It is time, my battle wounds (Distal Bicep Tears) are healing up nice and I am ready o ear up for a meet.

Looking like I will be doing the SPF Iron Mafia meet October 10th in Kentucky.

This will be an aggressive meet and I will have some serious training to do to get ready for it... Time to up the Ante a bit.

My goal is to end the year with a 500lbs bench and 600lbs squat. Maybe we can make BOTH of those happen at this meet.

Below is my video of my max effort squat this past Saturday (6/27) at an event at Eaton Barbell, in Eaton Ohio.

I am going to do an Overload bench this week and test my max next week. So stay tuned for that.

**broken link removed**

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

Training with Purpose

Training with purpose is all about understanding your training, the purpose and goals, and how to reach those goals. Haphazard training is going to yield results for only beginners and as people become more experienced “go with the flow” training styles quickly stagnate development. Understanding our training and designing it with purpose can help us bust through those annoying plateaus and bring us all closer to our goals.

As a strength athlete my writing will mostly be concerned with strength gains, however this is applicable to both the bodybuilder and power lifter. Let’s face it, if you want big muscles at some point you have to accept that strength phases in your training are important. Very very few people are going to get big on those cable pushdowns and smith machines… Fact. Yes I know… Tommy on YouTube did it, and Chris The T-Rex Flexah at your local gym grew massive doing those fancy 20lbs DB Flyes and Rope Cross Overs but guess what… those are anomalies. If you want to plan for success you need to design your programming for what statistically works for everyone and what has been repeatedly demonstrated to produce results.

Gym goers tend to fall into three categories:

The recreational gym goer, going through the motions working out

The Competitor, training without design but with good results due to great natural inclination

The Competitor, training with design and purpose

These are three broad categories that distinguish the distinct difference between those that Compete and those that are just Recreational, as well as those that train with a specific design path and those that are just freaks that can workout and get great results without any methodological basis—keep in mind these people could be even better with design.

Too often I see people that fall into the first two categories that are always inquiring about how to continue to progress, that have hit their “plateau” and are wondering what to do next! Usually this is where people hope some supplement is going to carry them over to the next tear but we all know that’s a lie… Supplements unfortunately only supplement our training and diets and the emphasis here will be on training.

I love a simplistic approach to training, and few things get more simplistic than Prilepin’s Chart. The chart was designed by the Soviets studying Olympic weightlifters. The chart shows the optimum range of reps given the percentage of strength range being trained.

f2b92518956d7a06a78d6e9666551271.jpg

This simplistic chart can be found in any worthwhile trainer’s office, it is utilized by MOST strength training programs, and should be referenced by any beginner and expert alike when evaluating a program.

A basic problem with beginners using this chart is not understanding the purpose. This chart is for strength gains, it places emphasis on form (correct movement patterns), bar speed, and fatigue management.

Let’s say you are a 350lbs bench presser. You decide you are going to train at 55% for 24 reps (the optimum number of reps). So you perform 192lbs bench for a 5x5 rep scheme. This is an extremely easy workout, which throws people off. But remember such a workout could be performed to offset an intense training week, while simultaneously practicing your bench, working on form, great bar speed, and keeping that motor-memory fresh. Suddenly a 5x5 at 192 or 185 became a pretty refreshing workout, and then after you could perform your accessory movements that facilitate further strength gains in that main lift (in this case the bench press).

So where is this going? Well a 5 week wave on the bench press that is applicable to beginners and experts alike. I am using the bench as an example because it is pretty much the most universal lift that most everyone talks about, but this could just as easily apply to the deadlift or squat. We are going to look at a 5 week wave using the chart that has design, purpose, and will yield results for anyone willing to sacrifice 5 weeks to try it!

Week 1:

Thursday: Bench Competition grip 70% 1RM 6 sets of 4 reps

Sunday: Bench Close Grip 55% 5 sets of 5 reps

Week 1 Analysis: What was difficult? Did you feel slow off the bottom on Thursday or at the top? What were your struggle points?
If the lockout was difficult continue with close grip bench weeks 2-4. If off the chest was slow do a wide grip on Sundays. Going forward we will assume the lockout was the most difficult, for most people have relatively weak triceps.

Perform an end of week analysis after each week. Then add accessory movements to compensate for those weaknesses. Perform accessory movements after the main lift.

Week2:

Thursday Bench Competition grip 75% 1RM 6 sets of 3 reps

Sunday: Bench Close Grip 60% 5x5

Week3:

Thursday Bench Competition grip 85% 1RM 5 sets of 3 reps If triples are too difficult do 5 sets of 2

Sunday: Bench Close Grip 65% 6 sets of 3 reps

Week 4:

Thursday: 4 singles at 90% 1RM

Sunday: Bench competition grip 55% 5x5

Week 5:

Thursday: Thursday competition bench 65%

light accessory movements

Sunday: Test 1 RM

Take a quick look at what we did above. We gave specific design and purpose for a 4 week period leading us to peak on week 5 for a test of our strength. Over the period of 4 weeks we increased our workload and volume, we gave the body ample resting time for recovery, and we peaked for a test of the 1RM. We did NOT go to the gym week after week and “kill it” then wonder why 6 months later we still are stuck benching 315…

Doing an end of week analysis after our workouts will allow us to see what part of the workout was hard, and what accessory movements can fix it. Maybe some extra wide grip benching, floor presses, more skull crushers, etc.

The above is the most simplistic basic approach, which does yield results. So if you are a bencher, stuck at a sticking point give the above a shot.

**broken link removed**

Today's workout makes a new journey. Using biometric feedback. The .# mark the speed of the reps as measured in meters per second by a tendo unit

4 sets of 5 220 at .8
Worked up to 405 at .25
385 5 singles at .3 failed my speed
345 pause 3 sets of 6
365 pin press 7 singles
275 flat wide 3x10

A lot of volume today 24,700lbs

Let's get ready to compete!!!

**broken link removed**

Injury and Injury prevention

So recently the big question came up… “Kyle, why are you always injured?” Well… Let’s set the record straight. My first, and only, injury is the two bicep tears. Once training resumed I unfortunately strained my left pec within a month, but not a serious injury just a minor setback in my current training block. Nonetheless there is a lesson here.

Tearing my biceps was a horrible experience. Literally set me back months on my journey to that 500lbs bench press. My last competition, pre-injury, I was at 480lbs and was making solid progress toward the 500. While deadlifting I have a horrible habit of curling the bar as I lift (mostly due to smaller hands and a weak grip, the curling helps me consolidate my grip). This resulted in two tears… yes two. I tore one, didn’t realize it, a few weeks later tore the other with a very noticeable contraction up the arm. Two surgeries later and a few months of only posterior chain work I went back to lifting upper body.

While waiting for my injuries to heal I concentrated on squatting… a lot. I ran the Smolov program and made some really nice progress on my squats. I would say my upper body downtime was about two months.

Resuming upper body training was… quite intimidating. One day I came in to the gym… “ready” and I benched. I hit a light weight for a good 20 reps, then the next week a little heavier, then the next even heavier. Within 3 weeks I was back at 405lbs and within 6 weeks I was at 445lbs… then boom, I felt a grinding / piercing strain on my left pec. FAIL! So, what happened?

Pre-bicep injury I was benching and had a solid strength baseline in my back, shoulders and triceps all of which are supporting muscles in the bench press. After two months of not directly touching these muscles they were extremely weakened, my pec being a larger muscle did not diminish as much in strength and ended up super compensating for my other weakened supporting muscles once benching resumed and therefore strained.

Takeaway: When engaging in a lift your stronger muscles can overcompensate for weaker supporting muscles which can lead to injury.

In my case my pecs were overcompensating for my weakened shoulders and triceps which usually assist me in completing a heavy lift.

This is basic stuff, but it directly clashes with our innate human nature. Sure I knew better… but I also felt comfortable and confident benching and was making great progress. I was nervous to start doing rows, heavier triceps, biceps, and shoulder presses…all of which strain my biceps more than benching did. As a result I put those exercises off as long as I could… until I came in one day and tweaked my pec.

So this is the basics of my injury and how it could have been avoided. Now another important note for those of you who want to be big pressers.

Remember your supporting muscles are SUPPORTING they are not the movement itself.Accessory movements (movements that strengthen supporting movements) are not what you are competing in.

No one cares how much you can shoulder press, skull crush, or bend over row. If you are competing in bench then they care what you can bench.

Train for what you are competing in (bench)

Remember supporting movements will reach a point of diminishing returns (yes, a point will come where being a better shoulder presser isn’t going to drastically increase your bench…)

Happy lifting fellas!

Oh my bicep fears are gone I even did a pull-up the other day. BooM!

74a4e68f842278b375dc6fa041a43844.jpg

Directed Variation

Note: This is written for beginners not so much for you super bad asses, so if it doesn’t apply let it fly. But hopefully everyone can find a little gem to takeaway.

Training, to be maximally successful, needs to be planned and analyzed. Going to the gym and doing what “feels right” is only going to get you so far, and let’s be honest… your feelings are usually fucking wrong. Sometimes what “feels” awful is just what is needed. On a similar note doing what your gym partner is doing might be well and good; in fact it might be a great workout… and still not really contribute much toward your overall goal. There are a lot of “great workouts” that don’t really yield much in the way of progress (unless your goal is just a workout).

Training with Purpose is training with a goal; you are training with a specific destination and endpoint in mind. For me that direction is a 600lbs squat and 500lbs bench press. Everything I do needs to be directed toward that goal. I am reaching a point where it is becoming increasingly important to plan my workouts, analyze the lifts, and try to graph my progress so I can see what is truly working and what is not. Thinking along these lines brings me to Directed Variation.

Directed Variation is variation for the sake of targeting specific muscles that are limiting factors in the successful execution of a lift. This is differentiated from what many Conjugate (Westside) trainers do and perform variations on ME lifts to avoid the Law of Accommodation (Meaning that decreasing adaption will occur to repeated stimulation /execution of the same lift to a point where you will ultimately regress).

While I am not denying the Law of Accommodation, I am saying that it can be carried too far. I have experienced, and continue to see several things happening:
1)Lack of technique and proficiency with a lift’s performance due to too much variation. You are competing in a bench press, not a press with chains, bands, off a board, or with 10 different specialy bars.
2)Marginally small Fitness increases. Sure you went from a 315lbs bench to a 325lbs… 10lbs PR. But why? Sure fitness increased, but was it as much as it could have? What was the driving force behind the change?
3)Oh… Variation… Let’s do a reverse band, with a sling shot, with a chain hanging from it… Wait what the FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!?

Directed Variation is a simple concept that I am starting to execute in my training methods. What I love is it gets rid of the “variation for the sake of variation.” Everything you do is for the purpose of increasing your fitness in a lift, so for example bench press.

I am a relatively slow bencher when it comes to moderate loads, but very fast with light loads. I failed my last max effort attempt (470lbs) at the top where his triceps were unable to fire enough to lock out the weight. I also has very weak Lats.

What can we program just starting off looking at the top scenario?
1)Let’s increase speed. Performing Speed Work at higher and higher intensity, training to be able to move a larger load at faster speeds will help with explosion after the pause.
2)Continue to train heavy bench above 75% 1RM to continue to make strength gains and not lose fitness levels
3)Work on force development with paused weight (pin presses). The more force development that can be generated (speed) the more likely the bar speed will help carry the lift through sticking points.
4)Increase tricep strength in the range of the failed bench. This would be 2boards, 3rdboards, which most directly mimics the area in which the lift failed.

What about the Lats? Well according to Directed Variation the lats will not be a primary training focus in this training. The Lat had nothing to do with the failed lift. Why expend extra energy? This does not mean I am not going to train lats, it does mean I am not going to take volume away from training what can fix my lift so that I can train something that wasn’t much of a contributing factor.

Notice we are “Training the Weaknesses” but the approach is directed to once the weaknesses manifest. We all have a lot of weaknesses and training various weaknesses just because they are “weaknesses” is going to have minimal carryover to increasing fitness. Train your dominant drivers, your muscle movers and worry about the weaknesses once they manifest. Don’t expect 10,000lbs of volume on a weakness that yields a 3% increase in your 1RM when you could have spend that same 10,000lbs of volume training your bread and butter which yields a 5% increase in your 1RM.

My goal here is to identify strengths and work those strengths until weaknesses become limiting factors to a point where extra volume needs to be spent correcting those weaknesses in a manner that will have the highest carryover to my lifts performance.

The goal is NOT to engage in variation and weaknesses training in the hope that we will have a carryover of a meaningful amount because we are more “well rounded.”
-Kyle Brown

**broken link removed**

Pink Dumbbells make me feel hugeeee

Can you post a little about what you diet is like? if already stated them my apologies

Good deal

Okay my diet isn't as structured as some... But I do have a bit of a program
All times are approximate

Breakfast 7am - 2 protein pancakes (regular pancakes unkown size with unnown protein. Probably around 40 carbs / 25-30 grams protein
- 2 scoops Muscle Research Essential Blend Protein - With water

9:30-10am - 1.5 scoops Dynamize Casein Protein with 1/2 cup oatmeal

12pm - Lunch (1/2 cup pasta, unknown portion of chicken or salmon, vegetables and sometimes a little but of extra carbs with those vegies)

2:30pm - 1.5 scoops Dynamize Casein Protein with 1/2 cup oatmeal

5pm - (1 cup pasta, unknown portion of chicken or salmon, vegetables and sometimes a little but of extra carbs with those vegies)

Postworkout: Frozen fruits, Kroger blend of fruits (think like pineapple, grapes, strawberry, etc) blended. Around 60grams of carbs or so.
2 scoops Muscle Research Essential blend protein (NOT blended with my fruit smoothie... oh hell naw). Sometimes I will eat some meat on top of all this (think steak, or just fish)

If I don't workout I won't do the fruit smoothe / protein shake and will instead eat another meal. Something simple.
E.g. steak, asparagus, and pasta
I never exceed 1 cup pasta.

Bedtime (2 scoops casein protein)

There isn't a whole lot of variation but there is some. I will eat whatever I want on top of this core. I just watch the scale and make sure I don't fluctuate too much from my goal weight range.

I do not recommend this type of diet to anyone, nor do I think this type of diet / meals are good for anyone pursuing BB

I am always open to suggestions on the diet front. But remember I am not a physique, BB guy. SO I have no intentions of going through great lengths with my dietiing. In fact I smashed half a box of Mike and Ikes on my way to do a secondary workout today.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member