over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

2 Partial Pec tears in 1 year

JohnUSMC35

Registered
Any recommendations on how to avoid these nasty injuries. I use Rehband elbow sleeves, warm-up/stretch properly, but I do/did use a wide grip. I think that has led to my tears lately. I am 42 as well, I know age also plays a role in this. I don't want to stop benching, so any advice from the pros on here would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150715_175753.jpg
    20150715_175753.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 275
Damn, I was afraid of that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Damn, I was afraid of that

Didn't know about his advice when I fully ruptured my right pec minor. Never had it surgically repaired. Have since been doing pretty much any chest movement besides flat bar bb. You still have many superior options. Flat/incline/decline db, machines, incline and decline smith etc ...

That's what I was thinking

Pre exhaust with a hammer machine then do ur presses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre exhaust with a hammer machine then do ur presses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God idea. I know I can't do no more wide grip bench press since it puts more stress on the pectoral than narrow grip

Lets see a video of your bench. Hard to say what is going wrong, with no visual.

DC also says if you are going to bench, bench like a powerlifter.

Lets see a video of your bench. Hard to say what is going wrong, with no visual.

DC also says if you are going to bench, bench like a powerlifter.
Yes, that's what I am going to do now. I never understood why powerlifters would put a few 2x4s on their chest. I understand why now. That is where in my press my pec has torn twice. I realize now that few inches from the chest is the most dangerous for pec tears.

No more BB benching for me.

Last edited:
that looks real bad but loving your motivation bruv :love:

Well seeing as you asked in the powerlifting section that you're training for powerlifting purposes and have to bench. That being said I've had one complete tear and a partial both times I had neglected my accessory work and allowed parts of my chest to become weaker. I bench with my pinkies about an inch in from the lines so I was making my triceps very strong but when it would get heavier in my case 465 and up I'd fall out I've my groove ever so slightly and tear. So I went with higher reps for my bench and a lot of accessory work such as incline Dumbbells. Flys. Incline machines and I've been good so far.

Well seeing as you asked in the powerlifting section that you're training for powerlifting purposes and have to bench. That being said I've had one complete tear and a partial both times I had neglected my accessory work and allowed parts of my chest to become weaker. I bench with my pinkies about an inch in from the lines so I was making my triceps very strong but when it would get heavier in my case 465 and up I'd fall out I've my groove ever so slightly and tear. So I went with higher reps for my bench and a lot of accessory work such as incline Dumbbells. Flys. Incline machines and I've been good so far.
Thanks for your advice bro

I can shed some light at the end of your tunnel :) 2 pec tears, 1 minor and 1 major, both from bench pressing. 0 surgeries, LOTS and LOTS of PT, ART (active release therapy) and Graston technique.

Bad News;
I had 2 doctors tell me i would never be competitive again, let alone bench press, or have a normal looking pec. They were right, my pec looks horrible, AND im not competing because i couldn't stop all the micro tears from the volume, and bench press VOLUME is difficult

Good News;
After both tears, both same pec on Left side, 20lb DB felt heavy. I was pretty upset and down, but found ART Therapy. I cant express how awesome... and brutally painful this is lol. Within weeks of ART i was increasing weight and feeling stronger. 6 months of ART 2-3 sessions a week, like i said its painful and you will bruise and be sore, so 2-3 sessions a week is all i could handle i made almost a complete recovery as far as 1rm. A little over a year my 1rm is steadily increasing but i have had to work around the injury

Benching for Volume is a HUGE NO NO. What i had to get into my head was that i still wanted to remain strong, maybe not competitive, but i wanna be that guy that can still bench 400+ pec tear or not.

What i can tell you is this, I can still put up over 4 bills, and do not train to do so, as soon as the muscle gets fatigue , which for me is faster then the other side, i stop or changE my training. I train mostly hypertrophy now and start every workout with a fly movement and then straight to a incline movement. I do NOT use heavy weight anymore and concentrate on the muscle contraction. This is 90% of my chest workouts. the other 10% is when i have to check myself and make sure i cant still push heavy weight. those days i will warm up with light fly movements and then light incline movement and go directly to heavy bench. I will not do warm up sets as i already have blood in the muscle, and i do not want to fatigue my pec. I will hit 225lb for 3-5, then 315 for 315 for 3-5 and then whatever weight i need to prove to myself i can do. At that point its just a personal thing and to prove to myself im not getting weaker, but like i said 90% of my workouts are light and are concentration on the muscle.

I did have to change my bench technique a lot too. hands are closer inside width of the shoulders and i activate a lot of my tri. the further out the grip the more of that pec tie in you use and in my case i dont have it.. literally it tore it and balled up this size of a golf ball in the middle of my pec and we broke all that scar tissue down.

It will take ALOT of time, and with modifications to you training you will still be able to lift heavy when needed, and lift for function the other time. I can tell you this, i would feel comfortable competing again but like i mentioned i would drastically change my approach and cater it all around my tear and how the muscle feels.

good luck!

I can shed some light at the end of your tunnel :) 2 pec tears, 1 minor and 1 major, both from bench pressing. 0 surgeries, LOTS and LOTS of PT, ART (active release therapy) and Graston technique.

Bad News;
I had 2 doctors tell me i would never be competitive again, let alone bench press, or have a normal looking pec. They were right, my pec looks horrible, AND im not competing because i couldn't stop all the micro tears from the volume, and bench press VOLUME is difficult

Good News;
After both tears, both same pec on Left side, 20lb DB felt heavy. I was pretty upset and down, but found ART Therapy. I cant express how awesome... and brutally painful this is lol. Within weeks of ART i was increasing weight and feeling stronger. 6 months of ART 2-3 sessions a week, like i said its painful and you will bruise and be sore, so 2-3 sessions a week is all i could handle i made almost a complete recovery as far as 1rm. A little over a year my 1rm is steadily increasing but i have had to work around the injury

Benching for Volume is a HUGE NO NO. What i had to get into my head was that i still wanted to remain strong, maybe not competitive, but i wanna be that guy that can still bench 400+ pec tear or not.

What i can tell you is this, I can still put up over 4 bills, and do not train to do so, as soon as the muscle gets fatigue , which for me is faster then the other side, i stop or changE my training. I train mostly hypertrophy now and start every workout with a fly movement and then straight to a incline movement. I do NOT use heavy weight anymore and concentrate on the muscle contraction. This is 90% of my chest workouts. the other 10% is when i have to check myself and make sure i cant still push heavy weight. those days i will warm up with light fly movements and then light incline movement and go directly to heavy bench. I will not do warm up sets as i already have blood in the muscle, and i do not want to fatigue my pec. I will hit 225lb for 3-5, then 315 for 315 for 3-5 and then whatever weight i need to prove to myself i can do. At that point its just a personal thing and to prove to myself im not getting weaker, but like i said 90% of my workouts are light and are concentration on the muscle.

I did have to change my bench technique a lot too. hands are closer inside width of the shoulders and i activate a lot of my tri. the further out the grip the more of that pec tie in you use and in my case i dont have it.. literally it tore it and balled up this size of a golf ball in the middle of my pec and we broke all that scar tissue down.

It will take ALOT of time, and with modifications to you training you will still be able to lift heavy when needed, and lift for function the other time. I can tell you this, i would feel comfortable competing again but like i mentioned i would drastically change my approach and cater it all around my tear and how the muscle feels.

good luck!
Thank you very much for the info and for taking the time to write a detailed response. [emoji3]

Thank you very much for the info and for taking the time to write a detailed response. [emoji3]

your welcome, i know how frustrating this is and any reassurance is nice :)

I'm currently on a hiatus from powerlifting because of all the injuries I've sustained. My advice, look up donnie thompsons or super Ds videos on the internet to see how to prevent, and treat these tears. Add him on facebook too he'll talk to you, hes a great guy.

I had a tear last year, took me 3 months to get back. A lot of dry needling and deep tissue massage. Warm ups, slowly weight increases, curcumin (taking along to piperine to improve absortion) and physio therapy is the key to keep going.

Only thing I'll add to the above is you could try the work around approach with a slingshot from Mark Bell
How Much Ya' Bench - Home of the Sling Shot
Guy at my gym has a raw over 500 and he has had issues with shoulders and what not, never a tear though and he loves his. Whether you compete or not they definitely seem like a security blanket

Do a pl style bench. Elbows tucked, forearms vertical, touching the upper abs. Remember its a bench press not a chest press. By doing it this way you transfer much of the load to the triceps and lats allowing you to hit heavier weights with less strain on the pecs and shoulders. If you're dead set on chest pressing(more of a bb style - elbows out, touching high on the chest) its time to quit doing this exercise and find something else to do that can get you the results you want without the injuries you don't want.

Do a pl style bench. Elbows tucked, forearms vertical, touching the upper abs. Remember its a bench press not a chest press. By doing it this way you transfer much of the load to the triceps and lats allowing you to hit heavier weights with less strain on the pecs and shoulders. If you're dead set on chest pressing(more of a bb style - elbows out, touching high on the chest) its time to quit doing this exercise and find something else to do that can get you the results you want without the injuries you don't want.
I have adopted that style of bench press now. No more wide grip for this old man. Thanks for your input brother.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume