advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

how do you warm up to your lift at a meet?

wizim

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
im doing my first powerlifting meet in two weeks. how do you suggest warming up to your final lifts?
i will get 20minutes/lift station to perform 3 lifts of...
powerclean looking to hit 295#
bench press looking for 315#
back squat Looking for 400#
dead lift looking for 475#

im 41yo, 5'7" , 175lbs

i want to do this right. i dont want to waste too much energy warming up.
thanks in advance guys!

Do exactly how you do in training. It's not time to try anything new. I like going up in singles to 300-400lb in 90lb increments and then 400+ 45lb increments. Up to about 85-90% my perceived effort. But iv only ever lifted 500lb so maybe some of the stronger lifters can add some input

Id agree with hazzle. Stick with what works. If its good enough for training its most def good enough for a contest. Last thing u want to do is introduce something new to ur body thats outside the norm... could lead to a weaker lift or worse an injury.

agreed. the thing is i dont really have a normal routine. well, i guess i do. i start light for 8-10 reps and slowly work my way up. i just wonder if there is a better way to insure im not exerting too much energy during warm up hurting my final lift.

Warm up light and easy. I don't do more than 2 reps for anything over 135. And for deads its more like singles after 135.

^ as above. Youre going for an all out 1 rep max so after you are warmed up just go up in singles

Warm up light and easy. I don't do more than 2 reps for anything over 135. And for deads its more like singles after 135.
so just stretch, do some light sets then singles. what increments?

Depends on your opening lift. I would go 75% of my opening lift. My opening lift would be easy, something I could do raw. Last thing you do is bomb the meet. As others said singles. You just want to get enough weight so your first lift isn't a shock. What are your beginning lifts and I will tell you what I would warm up with if that helps.

Depends on your opening lift. I would go 75% of my opening lift. My opening lift would be easy, something I could do raw. Last thing you do is bomb the meet. As others said singles. You just want to get enough weight so your first lift isn't a shock. What are your beginning lifts and I will tell you what I would warm up with if that helps.
i think i will open up with
245 power clean
305 bench
445 dl
375 squat

i get 20 minutes to complete 3 attempts of each lift and ~1.5 hours between lifts.

I've never done power cleans at a meet, so I really don't have an idea:

Bench: bar x 8 for 2-3 sets, 135 2 sets of 5, 185 or 225 set of 1-3, then judge if you need another set maybe 245 for 1

DL: 135 x 5 for 2-3 sets, 225 for 3, 315 for 1, 385 for 1

Squat: bar x 8 for 2-3 sets, 135 2 sets of 5, 225 set of 1-3, 285-315 set 1, then judge if you need another set.

You can maybe decrease the warmup since after the first lift you should be warm. If the weights you listed were my first attempt, those are the warmups I would do.

the numbers are already changing. just got back from the gym. new pr on the DL...455
squat 400
:headbang:

bench is up to 315 from 300 last week!

Light mechanics warm ups sets (cleans, dead hang cleans, snatches)
Only use movements ur competing in.
Then I pyramid weights several sets..
I go to 50% some go higher...
I used to go heavier but I gas out early..
My training partner (freak of nature) goes to high 70% with no issues on totals.

so just stretch, do some light sets then singles. what increments?

Depends on how you feel. I'll go up by 45's on the squat. 25's on the bench. Deadlift also 45's but stop at 405.

Opening lift should be something you have tripled, about 85% of max. 2nd lift 100%, so something you can single with no problem but not hit for a 2x, 3rd max effort, a true grinder. This is going off the 5/3/1 % chart.

Depends on how you feel. I'll go up by 45's on the squat. 25's on the bench. Deadlift also 45's but stop at 405.

Opening lift should be something you have tripled, about 85% of max. 2nd lift 100%, so something you can single with no problem but not hit for a 2x, 3rd max effort, a true grinder. This is going off the 5/3/1 % chart.
i like this approach.

ive never competed, but i want to soon you guys are all saying warmup the same way you normally would. What i'm curious about is there a area you can take a while to warm up... cause I mean I usually work up to my my maxes max effort style taking atleast 8 sets... will you get that luxury at a meet?

before every meet after wieght in's i eat like horse obvistley. but to warm up i grab a chin up bar and hold on to with everything tensed up for atleast 3-4 mins to really get my latic acid threshold up then i just strech out my chest. i never bench before a competion even if its only a 225 pounds warm up because to me benching is alll in my head and the last thing i need to do have a number like 225 in my head. its f***s up everything to me

Best of luck to you in your competition.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws