over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat Style.

Simpllyhuge

Kilo Klub Member / Board Supporter
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
I have for a few years been trying squat with a shoulder width stance, low bar, the style Mark Rippetoe teaches.
It hast been working well, for whatever reason I keep tweaking my lower back, even thou I seem to be in extension.
Would it be Okay to go slightly wider and still have my toes pointed out, Low bar? Would I still build some nice quads?
It seems like this style hurts my back less, I'm guessing because my lower back extension is less exaggerated and less torgue on my lower back. I will try and post a video next work out. Thanks for the advice.

The more you widen your stance the involvement of hips and posterior chain. Slightly wider to avoid back pain shouldn't hinder your quad development.

Another consideration for quad involvement is knee placement, Oly style squats with knees tracking over the toes will involve more quads than a power lifting style, where the knees remain in line with the ankles.

I have the SAME problem!

I keep fucking up my lower back and it pisses me off more than anything! To the point I want to throw the fucking weights at the mirror.

Just yesterday i couldn't even do 375, my back started to spasm and shake uncontrollably. Less than a year ago i was doing 450x5 and now i can't even do 375. Its soooo frustrating to say the least.

Any input would be great, i would be forever grateful for some sort of solution.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

I have the SAME problem!

I keep fucking up my lower back and it pisses me off more than anything! To the point I want to throw the fucking weights at the mirror.

Just yesterday i couldn't even do 375, my back started to spasm and shake uncontrollably. Less than a year ago i was doing 450x5 and now i can't even do 375. Its soooo frustrating to say the least.

Any input would be great, i would be forever grateful for some sort of solution.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Matey have you also looked into the depth of your squat? Certain changes in foot position etc mprove matters. For me a wider stance and toes pointed slightly outwards was good. But the biggest factor was the depth of my squat. I know you are tall like me (6ft 2) so regardless of foot position the deeper you go the more awkward it is for our lower backs (especially with heavy weight). It may not be optimal for results but maybe you should look at not going down very deep to avoid future issues. When you want to go deep use a much light weight such as 200 pounds and go for very high reps. You could have a heavy and light day each week or even have both in the same session (changing depth with poundage used).

Matey have you also looked into the depth of your squat? Certain changes in foot position etc mprove matters. For me a wider stance and toes pointed slightly outwards was good. But the biggest factor was the depth of my squat. I know you are tall like me (6ft 2) so regardless of foot position the deeper you go the more awkward it is for our lower backs (especially with heavy weight). It may not be optimal for results but maybe you should look at not going down very deep to avoid future issues. When you want to go deep use a much light weight such as 200 pounds and go for very high reps. You could have a heavy and light day each week or even have both in the same session (changing depth with poundage used).

Thanks for the input brother. I will try not going as deep in the future. I've always had it ingrained in my head ass to floor so I've always tried to go as deep as possible.

I went to the chiro today and I was all out of whack. Regular visits from now on, so hopefully that will help considerably as well.

Thanks for the input brother. I will try not going as deep in the future. I've always had it ingrained in my head ass to floor so I've always tried to go as deep as possible.

I went to the chiro today and I was all out of whack. Regular visits from now on, so hopefully that will help considerably as well.

How is your hamstring flexibility? It sounds to me that you are 'but winking' and that cause strain in the heavier weights. Can you please confirm if that is the case? Example of buttwink https://i.imgur.com/WR4z1.jpg

If thats the case then foam roll the shit our of your quads, hams and tibia band. Also use a baseball ball on your glutes and also foam roll your lower back.

Also, do you have your toes pointing outward at 30 degrees? do you 'actively' push the knees out, while sitting back and distribute the weight on the hill outer side of the shoe when you decent and ascent?

Also, how often do you squat and for how many reps/sets?

Last edited:
6'3" here, tons of good info here already but I just went back to the drawing board on my squat. Really had to focus on staying tight and keeping my belly full of air. Did a lot of box squats to reinforce sitting back for my form and keeping that chest up. I keep my legs wider than shoulder width and toes out too.

I also have a bulging disc in the lumbar section I know how it feels when the lower back gives out. As of lately things are going waaaay better and I'm squatting more now.

Put emphasis on lower back training too, really making those muscles work slow and steady....

Lots of good info here on this thread, hope mine helps a little.

Last edited:
The more you widen your stance the involvement of hips and posterior chain. Slightly wider to avoid back pain shouldn't hinder your quad development.

Another consideration for quad involvement is knee placement, Oly style squats with knees tracking over the toes will involve more quads than a power lifting style, where the knees remain in line with the ankles.

Did you mean more or less invilment of posterior chain?

I also
Squat in Olympic shoes. The very back of my heel is a little wider than shoulders. I am only 5'7 but might have weird proportions.
I can dead lift with out hurting myself.

5'7" shoulder with,high bar,oly shoes,ass to grass...

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Last time I squared I was a little wider than that with the heels and my tors pointed more out.

5'7" shoulder with,high bar,oly shoes,ass to grass...

**broken link removed**

Strong squat bro! I hope to hit 3 plates soon at 84kg.

Anyway, I squat exactly like you only that my toes point at 30 degrees and I sit in between my legs. I make sure to force my knees out during decent and ascent.

My squat looks exactly like the following picture.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I was having the same problem, and a lot of it had to do with tight hamstrings and hip flexors. Rolling and deep tissue massages helped. Also going down to just above parallel I found to be ideal. Feet positioned to where feels comfortable and strongest, for this this is shoulder width. I used to bottom out until my hams touched my calves but this last contest prep, about 8 weeks out included squats every week, just sets of 5-6 reps just above parallel and my legs took on a whole new look. Normally they lose size in prep but all of a sudden they were full and actually grew. I did this all the way to the show and I was surprised my legs were now a strong point.

I was having the same problem, and a lot of it had to do with tight hamstrings and hip flexors. Rolling and deep tissue massages helped. Also going down to just above parallel I found to be ideal. Feet positioned to where feels comfortable and strongest, for this this is shoulder width. I used to bottom out until my hams touched my calves but this last contest prep, about 8 weeks out included squats every week, just sets of 5-6 reps just above parallel and my legs took on a whole new look. Normally they lose size in prep but all of a sudden they were full and actually grew. I did this all the way to the show and I was surprised my legs were now a strong point.

Seriously man.. if you have tight hip hamstring and hip flexors foam roll the shit out of them. Also push your knees out during the descent. Read this from Mark Rippetoe from more info: startingstrength.com/articles/active_hip_2_rippetoe.pdf

Join the SS board and post a video of your squat and Rip will critique it

Wow I can't fathom going past parallel the pain in my knees will not allow it nor will my flexibility. I do parallel squats until my lower back gives then do close stance 3/4 sqauts to continue to burn the quads. I can go heavy but I think I get the best workout in the 365-405lb range.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Seriously man.. if you have tight hip hamstring and hip flexors foam roll the shit out of them. Also push your knees out during the descent. Read this from Mark Rippetoe from more info: startingstrength.com/articles/active_hip_2_rippetoe.pdf

Push your knees out while you're trying to spread the floor with your feet.
That will give you a LOT more overal tightness.

To be ontopic:
If building your quads is your goal then go back to high bar and take a narrow stance. Go full dept but avoid losing tension at the bottom (dont rest on your calfs) and avoid lockout by a few inches. Use a light weight and perform high reps 10-20.
This is garanteed a sick pump in your quadriceps.

I wouldnt wear a belt when performing high reps, but if you have a weak back just wear it BUT also strenghten your back.
I've found reverse hyper is excellent if you have one, but the back extention is good. Goodmornings are super too and if you can deadlift, then do so!
If you have trouble with GM and DL then just drop the wait and perform more reps till your core provides you with more stability

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws