over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stiff Legged Deadlifts

Brickshthouse79

Registered
Im having an issue when doing SLDL. My lower back always gets sore afterwards. Im sure my form is off. Does anyone have any pointers on how I can better work my hams and limit lower back involvement?

Are you bending your knees slightly, keeping the bar close to your body, and not going down too far?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Are you bending your knees slightly, keeping the bar close to your body, and not going down too far?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks. I think the bar is too far from my body and ive actually been doing romanian deaflifts. Just watched an Alan Thrall video and I think ive got it now.

I actually like to do them with straight legs but only with body weight or very light weight. Great stretch. The same for good mornings too.

Now for you and standard SLDL's you have got it right now. The bar needs to be very close and you need a slight bend in the knee. I also wouldn't go down too low but play about with that and see where the tension shifts (experiment with light weight first). For most just below the knee should be gtg.

I would also recommend warming up effectively. That includes your legs, hips and glutes. Then move up slowly in weigth with the STDL's.

If this problem persists maybe look into unilateral stiff leg deadlifts. In fact look into them anyway as they are a great variation.

Is your ass up in the air when you start to pull? I see so many people doing deads this way and it's only a matter of time before they strain/hurt their back.

Stretch your hams. The tighter your hams the more your spine will flex. And the more your spine flexes the more pressure on your disc that will produce a herniation and wear the ligaments that protect from this.

Straight leg deads are a double edge sword. If your spine flexes forward at all when doing them them you went to far down and/or your hams are not flexible enough to do them without negative effect.

Definitely want to keep knees slightly bent and bar or dumbbells close to front of shins.

I actually like to do them with straight legs but only with body weight or very light weight. Great stretch. The same for good mornings too.

Now for you and standard SLDL's you have got it right now. The bar needs to be very close and you need a slight bend in the knee. I also wouldn't go down too low but play about with that and see where the tension shifts (experiment with light weight first). For most just below the knee should be gtg.

I would also recommend warming up effectively. That includes your legs, hips and glutes. Then move up slowly in weigth with the STDL's.

If this problem persists maybe look into unilateral stiff leg deadlifts. In fact look into them anyway as they are a great variation.

Thanks, Elvia

Is your ass up in the air when you start to pull? I see so many people doing deads this way and it's only a matter of time before they strain/hurt their back.

No, I dont think so. My butt is pushed back at the bottom of the move - no shoulder roll. I definitely have a bend in the knees, feel a lot of tension in the hams and use a hip hindge to come to the top of the movement. That said,even with only 135lbs on the bar my lower back seems to get a pretty big pump/sore.

Stretch your hams. The tighter your hams the more your spine will flex. And the more your spine flexes the more pressure on your disc that will produce a herniation and wear the ligaments that protect from this.

Straight leg deads are a double edge sword. If your spine flexes forward at all when doing them them you went to far down and/or your hams are not flexible enough to do them without negative effect.

Thanks, thats an interesting point. My hamstrings are ridiculously tight. Perhaps thats the key to my issue.

You said in another thread you're 5'11". As a taller bodybuilder, try using cables or a Smith and start seated so far back that you'd fall if you let go. Stand up and push with your hips and squeeze the hamstrings as you come up.

You said in another thread you're 5'11". As a taller bodybuilder, try using cables or a Smith and start seated so far back that you'd fall if you let go. Stand up and push with your hips and squeeze the hamstrings as you come up.

Yes, thats right. So, bar still dragging against legs, but but back very far? I have not tried that or using cables. Thanks for the suggestion. Ill give it a try.

I have always hated this exercise, I do not see how it can generate hypertrophy in comparison to the hams curls in maquina.

Recently saw that weight distribution is very important. Meaning. If you curl your toes up so that the heels are the major point of contact with the floor. This will load your lower back more versus keeping your toes down.

I have always hated this exercise, I do not see how it can generate hypertrophy in comparison to the hams curls in maquina.

most people go too light on this exercise or they go too far down. treat it like a deadlift with higher weight and less volume. can get very strong controlling the eccentric portion. ever see how Jordan Peters does it and you`ll understand. my favorite posterior chain movement as i have finally begun to push some heavy weights with it

You're not necessarily doing them wrong.

It could just be that your lower back is the weakest part of the chain.

most people go too light on this exercise or they go too far down. treat it like a deadlift with higher weight and less volume. can get very strong controlling the eccentric portion. ever see how Jordan Peters does it and you`ll understand. my favorite posterior chain movement as i have finally begun to push some heavy weights with it

Excellent idea. The OP says he has low back pain with this exercise and you recommend to crank up the resistance. :headbang:

Put a band around a rig (pole) and at your hip crease. Grab some light 25-30lb DB's.

Initiate the movement by pushing your hips back - if you can do them near a wall and try and make your ass touch a wall or object.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws