over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Ditching Supplements?

method2madness

Registered
So I came up in the era when the post workout window and glycemic index became somewhat of a doctrine in the bodybuilding world. So of course I followed suit and did my post workout shakes and high glycemic carbs for what seems like an eternity. I'm not saying that it doesn't work or that it was just bro science because i know that I made great gains over the last 31 years of training using this method. However I'm now wondering now if further supplementation would make an appreciable difference in my gains and progress now that I'm rocking a lean 188 lbs. at 5'1 and 44 years of age. I no longer need to "get huge" as I'm allready as big as I've ever been so for the next two months I'm ditching all supplementation, short of your occasional pre workout stim drink and monitor my progress. Just looking for anyone in similar situation or anyone who is similar in age and experience who has tried this. Let me know your results and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks brothers(and sisters)

Believe the 1 hour preworkout protein/carb shake has been shown to be just as if not more effective than the old school post shake so that simple change could be one hell of a start....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5214805/

And if I'm interpreting that right if you do have a preworkout shake it will extend the post workout anabolic window to where you can wait till you cool down and can eat a large meal for your post workout consumption.

So I came up in the era when the post workout window and glycemic index became somewhat of a doctrine in the bodybuilding world. So of course I followed suit and did my post workout shakes and high glycemic carbs for what seems like an eternity. I'm not saying that it doesn't work or that it was just bro science because i know that I made great gains over the last 31 years of training using this method. However I'm now wondering now if further supplementation would make an appreciable difference in my gains and progress now that I'm rocking a lean 188 lbs. at 5'1 and 44 years of age. I no longer need to "get huge" as I'm allready as big as I've ever been so for the next two months I'm ditching all supplementation, short of your occasional pre workout stim drink and monitor my progress. Just looking for anyone in similar situation or anyone who is similar in age and experience who has tried this. Let me know your results and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks brothers(and sisters)

If your diets great it's not really gonna make any difference. Obviously there are many variables. If someone was taking in 200g protein from supplements they would need to replace that with whole food if they got rid of all their supps. Now for your intra aminos and carbs just make sure you eat well pre and post workout. I love intra aminos and carbs and they make a massive difference in regards to recovery. However if I dropped them and just had a good post workout meal (chicken, honey and rice for example) then I wouldn't really look any different for it. Although I do think it makes a difference for me but in the grand scheme it's not exactly 5+ pounds of solid muscle difference.

Now health supplements can be different especially if someone has certain issues. It's all obvious really but if someone was taking a few supps for blood pressure and dropped them all it would be no surprise if their bp started to rise again. Some supps are neeeded for some people and can be very useful. Although many guys take the kitchen sink when it comes to supplements. They get addicted to them in a sense and add more and more thinking they need them all. Fact is for many they could probably drop 70% of their supps and they would be no different just have a lot more spare cash in their pocket. Every person is different and for some their health supplements make a big difference to their blood markers and overall longetivity.

There only way to find out is to drop them and see. It all depends upon how many you are dropping. If it's just your intra carbs/aminos your recovery make take a hit but at the end of the day it won't make that much of a difference to the way you look/feel.

I don't use many at all. Creatine, psyllium husk, sodium, potassium, magnesium, fish oil, a protein shake here and there if I can't eat a full meal. Can't say I've noticed much difference. I prefer that my diet be my supplementation.

Believe the 1 hour preworkout protein/carb shake has been shown to be just as if not more effective than the old school post shake so that simple change could be one hell of a start....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5214805/

And if I'm interpreting that right if you do have a preworkout shake it will extend the post workout anabolic window to where you can wait till you cool down and can eat a large meal for your post workout consumption.

My diet is solid throughout the day and I always eat a high protein meal 2 hours before training. So my hope is that the pretein in my system from my daily meals pre workout will be enough for me to skip the shake after the workout and instead just eat another solid meal. Since I am in very good overall health and don't supplement for any other reason the goal is to drop all shakes and follow this routine and see what happens. Thanks for the input

41 years old, just competed three weeks ago. Took 2nd at nationals in my class. Probably the best prep I've had. My diet was strictly whole foods. I think in 8 weeks, maybe had 5 scoops of protein. Only supplements I used were:

preworkout
Intra consisting of 15g Aminos, 30g HBCD, 10g Hydrolized Casien.

Only reason for the intra is because I lift at 5am, so can't really eat a huge meal preworkout. Post workout was whole foods.

Main thing I noticed, I was much more satiated and seemed to hold fullness more throughout the prep.

I dont think a post workout shake is going to do anything that some chicken and rice wont do, assuming youve already eaten some protein before training.

Pre workout nutrition, almost the same thing. CHicken and rice, steak and potatoes, eggs and toast, whatever. Should do the same thing as a shake.

The only workout supps I think are beneficial are stimulants, dosed properly to increase strength but not strain the metabolism, and intraworkout carbs like dextrose (perhaps along with some whey or EAA depending on time of day and how many meals youve eaten before hand).

I dont think a post workout shake is going to do anything that some chicken and rice wont do, assuming youve already eaten some protein before training.

Pre workout nutrition, almost the same thing. CHicken and rice, steak and potatoes, eggs and toast, whatever. Should do the same thing as a shake.

The only workout supps I think are beneficial are stimulants, dosed properly to increase strength but not strain the metabolism, and intraworkout carbs like dextrose (perhaps along with some whey or EAA depending on time of day and how many meals youve eaten before hand).

This is the frame of mind I'm approaching this with and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

41 years old, just competed three weeks ago. Took 2nd at nationals in my class. Probably the best prep I've had. My diet was strictly whole foods. I think in 8 weeks, maybe had 5 scoops of protein. Only supplements I used were:

preworkout
Intra consisting of 15g Aminos, 30g HBCD, 10g Hydrolized Casien.

Only reason for the intra is because I lift at 5am, so can't really eat a huge meal preworkout. Post workout was whole foods.

Main thing I noticed, I was much more satiated and seemed to hold fullness more throughout the prep.

Congratulations on the high placement! I've definitely noticed more fullness and satiation throught the day so far.

I can’t really tell if you’re asking about supplements OR meal timing here.

Do u need 3 versions of creatine? No way.
Would it be beneficial to sometimes have some protein powder and fast digesting carbs to time your meal? Maybe.

I think protein powder, carb powders and maybe EAAs are worth it. The other stuff u can probably live without.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t really tell if you’re asking about supplements OR meal timing here.

Do u need 3 versions of creatine? No way.
Would it be beneficial to sometimes have some protein powder and fast digesting carbs to time your meal? Maybe.

I think protein powder, carb powders and maybe EAAs are worth it. The other stuff u can probably live without.

I'm not sure where the whole "3 versions of creatine" thing is coming from, but My basic premise is that I am going to drop all supplementation with the exeption of a pre workout stim like cafeine and see how I do with just solid foods. I'me going to try this for a month or two and see if the results are any different for better or worse than if I was still using a post workout shake with a high glycemic carb.

I dropped all the supplements except D3 and K2 over 10 years ago and started eating normal foods. Dropping protein from 200-250 grams per day to right around 100 grams. Absolutely no negative effects noted. On a positive note I'm saving a lot of money and the bloating and gas have completely gone away! 65 now and lifting ridiculously light weights with no joint pain at all. Still look like an old gym rat ,retired and happy!

I dropped all the supplements except D3 and K2 over 10 years ago and started eating normal foods. Dropping protein from 200-250 grams per day to right around 100 grams. Absolutely no negative effects noted. On a positive note I'm saving a lot of money and the bloating and gas have completely gone away! 65 now and lifting ridiculously light weights with no joint pain at all. Still look like an old gym rat ,retired and happy!

In less than two weeks since dropping all supplementation I am now consistently not bloated and down 4 lbs. consistently in the AM so I'm convinced the water weight will no longer be a chronic issue (not that it won't crop up from time to time). Too soon to tell about muscle gain and retention but I'm excited to find out results.

this. I would go so far to guess that most people would be leaner, bigger, feel better, and save a hell of alot of money and time wasted if they would ditch all supplements. the only one I can think of that has use is a pre-workout stimulants and only if you don't like coffee. supplements = placebo affect + excellent marketing by supplement companies

Post workout window is silly in my opinion. I personally think whey isolate breaks down too fast for the body to utilize all the protein. I prefer casein which mimics the release rate of Amina’s protein. Your body can’t utilize 30-60 g of protein in 1 hour.

Eating a whole meal before your workout it is still releasing nutrients when your workout is finished.

I think everyone would agree a solid meal with carbs, fats, vegetables, and animal protein is always better than whey protein and some type of sugar.

I ditched all nutritional supplements and just try to eat a lot of good clean food. I’m stronger than ever now too.

Post workout window is silly in my opinion. I personally think whey isolate breaks down too fast for the body to utilize all the protein. I prefer casein which mimics the release rate of Amina’s protein. Your body can’t utilize 30-60 g of protein in 1 hour.

Eating a whole meal before your workout it is still releasing nutrients when your workout is finished.

I think everyone would agree a solid meal with carbs, fats, vegetables, and animal protein is always better than whey protein and some type of sugar.

The idea isnt that you synthesize 50g of new muscle tissue in an hour, but that your blood stream is oversaturated with amino acids - something which can be difficult to do with slower digesting proteins.

Lets see everyones updated health supp regimen? Seems most are dropping everything, no?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131