advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"THE THINK TANK" - A Unique Perspective into the Mental and Physical Aspects of our S

Some Truths.

Hey i bought some coconut oil byut when i got home i realized it wasnt virgin. It say its "100% mechanically (expeller) pressed naturally refined organic coconut oil"

14 grams fat
12 grams sat. fat
1g. mono unsat. fat

My question is will this have the same benefits as virgin coconut oil or should i just take the loss and buy some virgin coconut oil?

Thanks

Hey Jeremy,

I have always taken the approach not to answer questions I wasn't positive about. For starters many people interpret what a truth is based on what they perceive it to be. A true truth is based on fact and fact alone.

Point being: the human species is a fine tuned machine that requires certain foods to be healthy and in our case, because we are always trying to add muscle, our nutrition needs are even more pronounced.

If that makes sense then realize this: we are not turbine engines. We require no oil of any lind in our diets. That's a myth. The point is this; oil is a form of fat. Would you eat lard or butter thinking there was some benefit to doing so. We get all the fats we need from the whole grains, protein, and carbs we simply eat every single day.

I've been around for a while, have a MS in Human Performance, which is combination of exercise science and nutrition and I know the role of nutrition, especially when it comes to bodybuilders.

Peace,

Mack

Last edited by a moderator:
JonnyO - I'm gonna agree with you

Our bodies do not need AAS but a lot of us here tend to use them. Mac, your expressing your opinion, maybe provide some facts and articles relating to your opinions like authors such as John Meadows have provided in regards to healthy fats. And fyi I do like a low fat diet when prepping myself for contests. But I do not disregard the benefits of these fats either.

JonnyO,
I have a library of books, some are still around from my college days. I just don't have the energy to review them and supply the data for support.
I will at some point, however.

Couple thoughts which may explain my statements. I was in charge of this rat experiment involving 24 rats. Both consumed the same total calories,
12 were fed a diet of 25% fats, the other 12 were fed 35%. The lower fat group were fed more carbs to make up the cals. They all received the exact same type of exercise for the exact same time and same speed.
At the end of 30 days, here's what I found. A ten % weight gain on the rats who consumed 35% fat, and 5% decrease in BF for the 12 that ate 25%.
Obviously we aren't rats and there are many more circumstances to deal with a human study.
By for me personally, before I made some major changes in how I ate, my
total cholesterol was in the 160-170 range, HDL in the 60 range, LDL in the 70 range, BF% around 15-16 % off season.
Now with a diet consisting of around 500-600 carbs, 140 grams prot, and 15
grams of total fat a day I've gained muscle, my BF is 9.8%, my total cholesterol is 91, my HDL is 31 and by LDL is 48. That may seem low but because my HDL is so low, it doesn't concern me.
Like you, I prefer a low fat diet in contest mode. The only thing diet wise that I would change would be to drop my fats to 5 grams daily. I've done this religiously in over 30 contest preps, and despite a few seconds, have won my class (MW - open), won the overall in all shows with a 35+ class and same with the 50+ class.(ugh). All regional level, national qualifyers. No loose skin, no saggy skin, ripped glutes and hams. No one beats me on leanless, I usually loose to the SHV for obvious reasons.

So I agree with you, there is no one clear cut way. It really doen't matter where we start.....it's where we finish that matters.

Peace,

Mack

to add my 2cence into this thread. i suffered for a long time with injury until i regularly started using these.

firstly dont get a cheap one, you want the high density foam as bodybuilders the cheap ones will break down quickly.

along with the quads i have found that by crossing one leg over the other and then rolling the top portion of my glute it has really helped my sciatica.

foam roll everywhere, upper back, triceps everything

The Main Point

I feed on knowledge. I think all your opinions are valuable and agree 100% that it can't be a universal, one size fits all.

What I'm thankful about is how everyone is handling this. We all may have differences of opinion, that's OK, the main thing we are all doing it in a log environment is being dignified and respectful.

That's cool, Bros

Mack

I have to agree with Mack, love that people are keeping things respectful, esp. after the way things have gone over the last few weeks.

for me, I personally love coconut oil, its been a few years since I've used it though, but I plan to use it again in the next few weeks.

500 grams of carbs? wow, for me, I would get fat as hell off of that lol It seems my body is very sensitive to carbs, just looking at carbs makes my jeans tight. :)

Mack.
I can feel the difference the addition of coconut oil did to my family s diet.
I know there are many approaches to diet , many ways to skin a cat ext'
but in real terms I am convinced in the benefit of the good fats for health and performance.

you would find The mountain dog diet thread interesting. I would love to hear your opinion after reading it.

My black foam roller has been a godsend for my IT bands since I have been doing cardio regularily.

Would you eat lard or butter thinking there was some benefit to doing so.

Yes, I would.. These are naturally occuring fats.. Highly saturated and are of the utmost benefit when coming from pasture raised animals.

Thanks everyone for keeping opinions, thoughts, and ideas on a postive flow...as stated earlier, it's much better than some of the crap we've been seeing! ;)

Myself, I cook with virgin coconut oil instead of butter etc. I will add almond butter and Mac oil in my diet when I feel it is needed. I try to keep my carbs lower...but we all have our own wheels to turn, and use what works best for each person.

There are times were I could take in more carbs... especially during the holidays! :p

I agree Mack that it is good things are kept respectful. But I also think people can be alittle over sensitive at times. Like on this thread if someone was to be disrespectful I wouldn't get that cos we are only talking about coconut oil. I find the threads were it all kicks off is when you have greedy people and money involved so emotions can go off the scale. Things have got alittle silly around here... I have been guilty of that.. although if I think somene is being a dick I would say so. Anyway back to the thread...

Here are a few copy and pasted things to save time...

The term "extra virgin" is borrowed from the olive oil industry and there is no such product or existing standard that can be applied to coconut oil production. Our supplier is currently working towards achieving standardisation for coconut oil so that the confusion can be addressed once and for all. Should you see the term "extra virgin", be assured that it is simply a marketing ploy to encourage you to believe that the oil has something more to offer than virgin coconut oil. The same applies to the terms "Organic Extra Virgin" and "Premium Organic Extra Virgin".

Copra or dried coconut flesh is what is made into basic COCONUT OIL. It is a completely different form of oil compared to Virgin or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil now on the market.

Today because of the high demand for Virgin Coconut Oil many unscrupulous manufacturers are getting cheap copra oils and running them through centrifuge spinning machines to clean up the oils and also state they are ORGANIC. While the centrifuges remove the smell and all flavour from the oils the Copra COCONUT OIL is a much thicker oil that will NOT quickly absorb into the skin and does contain TRANS FAT. Accept for a higher level of lauric acid it is very similar to all other trans fat food oils on the market due to the processing.

In addition, virgin coconut oil is composed mainly of medium-chain triglycerides, which may not carry the same risks as other saturated fats. Early studies on the health effects of coconut oil used partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which creates trans fats, and not virgin coconut oil, which has a different health risk profile. These fats also are used directly for energy.

Lauric acid has been found to increase total cholesterol the most of all fatty acids. But most of the increase is attributable to an increase in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) "good" cholesterol. As a result, lauric acid has "a more favorable effect on total:HDL cholesterol than any other fatty acid, either saturated or unsaturated";[9] a lower total/HDL cholesterol ratio suggests a decrease in atherosclerotic risk.

Just adding I second all the info from Amazon Doll. But I do love my carbs. Ideally I use a blanced approach in all parts of my diet. This includes fats used... thats why I feel a combo such as what I list below are ideal in a typical day...

EVCO, EVOO, Avocado, Fish, Steak and nuts (mainly walnuts and almonds)

Once you've been doing this for a while I suggest the rumble roller. I have a fullsize extra firm one and it better simulates a sports message than a regular roller. It's extremely painful on some spots so I wouldn't suggest starting off with this.

**broken link removed**

Easily the best roller on the market. You will never use a traditional roller again. If you are new to rolling I would start with the blue. The black is extra firm and as mentioned not a good idea to start with. If you have a professional license or cert (RN, MD, trainer, etc) OPTP.com has them for 49.95 on their professional pricing. Although they didn't verify any sort of credentials so I imagine you can say whatever you want when you sign up. $20 cheaper. You'll want to move up to the extra firm as you progress obviously.

Great thread BTW to raise awareness on the benefits of rolling. Extremely underutilized by bodybuilders.

Rex.

Rex.

Ok, since I was asked the question, I guess I'll throw my two cents in as well. I have few books myself..haha.

I am pretty much in 100% disagreement with Mack. Butter (from grass fed animals) and lard are not bad for you.

Lard has more monounsaturated fat in it then saturated actually (if you are thinking saturated fat is all bad, which it is not). This has an undeniable positive impact on HDL. Butter frpm pasture raised animals is also very good. CLA, all fat soluble vitamins, trace minerals and more. Also some of the fats are antimicrobial and antiviral and also fight pathogens in your gut.

Would I eat gobs and gobs of it..no, but nothing is good in excess, and there are proven benefits to eating them.

I would worry about having a low HDL by the way, as your ratio of HDL to Triglycerides are very good predictors for CVD. Your cholesterol actually took a turn for the worse with the low fat high carb diet. Cholesterol can be too low and cholesterol is a parent hormone to testosterone, a large part of your brain...etc..

You can get cut up many different ways, agree with you there, but I also believe Jeremy was asking for health reasons. Going to a diet at 5% in fat means you are likely not taking in enough EFA's...

jeremy - refined coconut oil is not the same thing. The bleaching, hexane solvents, etc compromise the quality of the oil.

And by the way, coconut oil has Lauric acid in it. A saturated fat that is one of the strongest antiviral and anitmicrobial nutrients there is. They were using it a while back to combat HIV. Not sure what is going on with those studies now.

Thanks for the question Jeremy.

JM

Last edited:
Ok, since I was asked the question, I guess I'll throw my two cents in as well. I have few books myself..haha.

I am pretty much in 100% disagreement with Mack. Butter (from grass fed animals) and lard are not bad for you.

Lard has more monounsaturated fat in it then saturated actually (if you are thinking saturated fat is all bad, which it is not). This has an undeniable positive impact on HDL. Butter frpm pasture raised animals is also very good. CLA, all fat soluble vitamins, trace minerals and more. Also some of the fats are antimicrobial and antiviral and also fight pathogens in your gut.

Would I eat gobs and gobs of it..no, but nothing is good in excess, and there are proven benefits to eating them.

I would worry about having a low HDL by the way, as your ratio of HDL to Triglycerides are very good predictors for CVD. Your cholesterol actually took a turn for the worse with the low fat high carb diet. Cholesterol can be too low and cholesterol is a parent hormone to testosterone, a large part of your brain...etc..

You can get cut up many different ways, agree with you there, but I also believe Jeremy was asking for health reasons. Going to a diet at 5% in fat means you are likely not taking in enough EFA's...

jeremy - refined coconut oil is not the same thing. The bleaching, hexane solvents, etc compromise the quality of the oil.

And by the way, coconut oil has Lauric acid in it. A saturated fat that is one of the strongest antiviral and anitmicrobial nutrients there is. They were using it a while back to combat HIV. Not sure what is going on with those studies now.

Thanks for the question Jeremy.

JM

Thanks Everyone,

I hope no one interpreted my thoughts as if I'm a "know it all", because I'm certainly not, by any means. I think that's it's awesome we can all use this as a "think tank" respecting each other and sharing our thoughts.

I posted some numbers worth correcting. My last blood work in Nov 2011,
showed my total cholesterol at exactly 100 and my HDL at 46. An important factor is the relationship between the two regarding heart health. Anything under 5 is acceptable, the lower the better. My Chol/HDL ratio was 2.2.

What I did in my original post was not to supply everyone with all my personal info, but I think It's appropriate to do so now, it might make more sense why I chose to go with such a low fat diet. I did this thinking I didn't want anyone to say "Oh, he's a diabetic so this approach won't work for me",
ya'll know what I mean?

In April 2010 I had a triple by-pass. I had one artery with a 98% blockage, one with a 96% blockage and one with a 91% blockage. The crazy thing is that I felt absolutely fine. No symptoms at all. Was that a genetic factor or a result of 30 years of tons of animal protein, olive oil in food prep, nuts, and whey protein? Pre surgery I spoke with the surgeon about the typical scarring issues that usually are part of the deal. He actually understood and did a great job. My scar is only about 4" long and pencil thin. Unless you knew it, you wouldn't notice it. Typical bodybuilder mindset ;).

Another factor which I mentioned earlier and I'm sure was a contributing factor of major significance is that I've been a Type 1 Diabetic since age 5. Always well managed but diabetes does have a nasty side to it and when it reared up it's ugly head, not only did I have the triple by pass, but had all my toes amputated on my right foot. For 6 months I was a couch potato, all kinds of wound healing treatments, all kinds of depression, lost 25 lbs of lean, not a good situation.

Thanks to the lessions bodybuilding had taught me about percervering, I knew I would heal and mend and compete once again. This crazy low fat approach has given me the opportunity. I am grateful for that. I have been able to put back all the muscle I lost but with better quality, shape and roundness. I don't have a solid explanation of why that happened.

Lastly, I have found it so much easier to keep my blood sugars super tight with this diet. All my carbs come from low GI foods, steel cut oats (several times a day and mixes well with protein powder), brown rice, whole grain pasta, grits and sweet potatoes. Everything is measured and certain carbs are eaten before and after training. It's can be a difficult task adjusting insulin levels when prepping for a show to keep everything under control.
Inadvertingly, this new way has kept my BF levels pretty low, so when it's time to put the pedal to the metal, I won't have far to go and know exactly what I'll adjust to get there. Of course, I'll make any adjustments I have to so I bring in my best package to date.

Sorry about the confusion I may have caused. I hope this sheds some light on why I chose this path.

You guys are all great, let's keep the "think tank" wide open.

Peace,

Mack

Thanks Everyone,

I hope no one interpreted my thoughts as if I'm a "know it all", because I'm certainly not, by any means. I think that's it's awesome we can all use this as a "think tank" respecting each other and sharing our thoughts.

showed my total cholesterol at exactly 100 and my HDL at 46. An important factor is the relationship between the two regarding heart health. Anything under 5 is acceptable, the lower the better. My Chol/HDL ratio was 2.2.

What I did in my original post was not to supply everyone with all my personal info, but I think It's appropriate to do so now, it might make more sense why I chose to go with such a low fat diet. I did this thinking I didn't want anyone to say "Oh, he's a diabetic so this approach won't work for me",
ya'll know what I mean?

In April 2010 I had a triple by-pass. I had one artery with a 98% blockage, one with a 96% blockage and one with a 91% blockage. The crazy thing is that I felt absolutely fine. No symptoms at all. Was that a genetic factor or a result of 30 years of tons of animal protein, olive oil in food prep, nuts, and whey protein? Pre surgery I spoke with the surgeon about the typical scarring issues that usually are part of the deal. He actually understood and did a great job. My scar is only about 4" long and pencil thin. Unless you knew it, you wouldn't notice it. Typical bodybuilder mindset ;).

Another factor which I mentioned earlier and I'm sure was a contributing factor of major significance is that I've been a Type 1 Diabetic since age 5. Always well managed but diabetes does have a nasty side to it and when it reared up it's ugly head, not only did I have the triple by pass, but had all my toes amputated on my right foot. For 6 months I was a couch potato, all kinds of wound healing treatments, all kinds of depression, lost 25 lbs of lean, not a good situation.

Thanks to the lessions bodybuilding had taught me about percervering, I knew I would heal and mend and compete once again. This crazy low fat approach has given me the opportunity. I am grateful for that. I have been able to put back all the muscle I lost but with better quality, shape and roundness. I don't have a solid explanation of why that happened.

Lastly, I have found it so much easier to keep my blood sugars super tight with this diet. All my carbs come from low GI foods, steel cut oats (several times a day and mixes well with protein powder), brown rice, whole grain pasta, grits and sweet potatoes. Everything is measured and certain carbs are eaten before and after training. It's can be a difficult task adjusting insulin levels when prepping for a show to keep everything under control.
Inadvertingly, this new way has kept my BF levels pretty low, so when it's time to put the pedal to the metal, I won't have far to go and know exactly what I'll adjust to get there. Of course, I'll make any adjustments I have to so I bring in my best package to date.

Sorry about the confusion I may have caused. I hope this sheds some light on why I chose this path.

Peace,

Mack

Mack, thanks for the openess. Very glad to hear you are doing ok now! I have been in a scary situation myself, so I can relate in my own way. Take care and happy holidays.

JM

Wow!
Without a doubt that had to be life changing, if you don't mind sharing, how did it come about that there was So much blockage?
Routine check up?
Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear all is well.

Thanks Everyone,

ya'll know what I mean?

Peace,

Mack

JM, thanks for chiming into this thread...both you and Mack are great contributors, and I have such a high respect for the both of you.

You both have been "there and back", and the testimony of fortitude and the willingness of never quitting is extremely inspiring I'm sure to many beyond myself.

Mack is relatively new to PM, but you can tell by his writing, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, and I'm grateful for his willingness to share, and provide a glismp into his life and the trials he has overcome.

In this sport, some say cult, sub culture etc., is much like looking at a diamond...but through different facets. We all see the diamond, but through each facet the diamond shows its brilliance in a different light patterns. Much like our opinions, thoughts, and ideas, they are facets.

As I've shared with John, who is respected on so many levels, and each is well and properly deserved, my concern with this site is with all the drug, drug, drug discussions, and not enough about topics such as this...and to me, even though each may see something differently to fats etc, this has been VERY refreshing!

JM, thanks for chiming into this thread...both you and Mack are great contributors, and I have such a high respect for the both of you.

You both have been "there and back", and the testimony of fortitude and the willingness of never quitting is extremely inspiring I'm sure to many beyond myself.

Mack is relatively new to PM, but you can tell by his writing, he brings a wealth of knowledge and experience, and I'm grateful for his willingness to share, and provide a glismp into his life and the trials he has overcome.

In this sport, some say cult, sub culture etc., is much like looking at a diamond...but through different facets. We all see the diamond, but through each facet the diamond shows its brilliance in a different light patterns. Much like our opinions, thoughts, and ideas, they are facets.

As I've shared with John, who is respected on so many levels, and each is well and properly deserved, my concern with this site is with all the drug, drug, drug discussions, and not enough about topics such as this...and to me, even though each may see something differently to fats etc, this has been VERY refreshing!

Thanks Ironraider,

I know that many of us have been thru many trials and difficulties along our journies. The only thing we can truly control is our reactions to these bumps in the road. An underlying truth that all of us share who've been in the trenches for a good amount of time, is that we all have what I call a "special gene" that is a common denominator that makes us strong, dedicated and unique. When we come across these unfortunate situations, we have a gear we shift into, that many people don't have. I thank bodybuilding for that.

Peace,

Mack

Hey Mack...I hear you bro, and I think it is ingrained in many of us...to persevere through the challenges and obstacles we face with injuries, bettering ourselves etc.

I believe that you and John are kindred spirits of sorts...I don't know if you've read his story...it is out there somewhere, and maybe John could slap the link here if he wishes...but like you, is an iron warrior who refuses to settle, let go, or give up.

Sorry to the OP, for taking the thread off topic...it is not my intention. :p

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner