over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The dark side...WOW

Found this earlier while i was searching for some info on andreas munzer:

Dying to be Arnie

Andreas Munzer dreamed of emulating his hero, fellow Austrian and bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger. In this special report, Jon Hotten traces two careers - one of riches and fame that may yet lead to the White House, and another that ended in drugs and disaster

Sunday October 31, 2004
The Observer

He went to the stage as hard as a bag full of nails. He looked like the eighth wonder of the world up there: 17 stone of muscle and bone and not much else. He was huge and dense and cut. He had 21-inch arms, a 58-inch chest and enough junk in his bloodstream to kill a horse. It was certainly killing him. He lived in agony. If he had still had the will to turn his head to the left, he would have seen other men like him, Godzillas of the iron game. To his right, the same. They looked barely human.
They looked like a sub-strain, a spin-off, a genetic joke.

He was so dry that his lips kept sticking together. His body was arid. The last of his sweat rolled slowly down him, streamed by his deep striations. It left light streaks in his tinned tan. Andi fixed his feet harder into the floor and squeezed his unsteady muscle one more time.

The other guys still had some zap and heft and zing left in them. Kevin Levrone, 'The Maryland Muscle Machine', was ripped and zipped; Kenny 'Flex' Wheeler was as austere and beautiful as a Greek statue; Paul Dillett had a chest by Jackson Pollock, splattered with fat chunks of vein; Vince Taylor brought out his galactic shoulders; Shawn Ray ran as thick as a bull, front to back. It was a war of the strangest kind. Huge men in spangly thongs shoved each other aside so they could hit muscleman poses. There were 4,000 people watching them do it and they were going off while they did. The Veterans' Memorial Arena was a mushroom farm of jumping muscle. Most of the crowd were bodybuilders of a sort themselves - there were women who could have beaten the living crap out of you.

Andi already knew that the game was up. This was the final round of competition, the posedown - a concocted crowd-pleaser. It existed mainly to allow the judges time to verify the scores. Levrone, Ray and Dillett jumped from the stage and walked into the stalls so the fans could see them close up. They posed for photos. They gripped and grinned. Andi held on at the edge of the platform. There, perhaps one more judge might catch the final nuances of his development. Perhaps one more judge might move him up by one more place. Perhaps Arnold Schwarzenegger himself would look up from his seat in row two and understand that Andi's head had blazed with his name for 20 years. Perhaps then he would finally get his due and perhaps it would tip the balance of his life. His name was Andreas Munzer. For a decade, he had been the greatest bodybuilder in the German-speaking world.

Head judge Wayne DeMilia called the last six competitors into line. Schwarzenegger now stood in the wings ready to present the prizes. He had not been a bodybuilder for a long time; it had been 16 years since he was Mr Olympia 1980. But he remained the talisman of muscle. The Arnold Classic contest was named after him, promoted by him and dedicated to his glory.

In professional bodybuilding events, results were announced in reverse order. Andi would die soon, but he wouldn't die wondering. DeMilia said: 'Sixth place ... winning five thousand dollars ... from Austria ... Andreas Munzer...'

Andi picked up a slim cheque and a joke trophy. The applause was thin and slow. The crowd already had Munzer sixth. This was how things often were at the top shows. The consensus of years informed results. The judges had muscle memory, too.

There was a truism in bodybuilding : be born black or German. These were the favoured genetic lines. Through them, muscle thrummed down generations. Andi's people were farmers, 'simple with weather-tanned faces' as the press would later describe them. They lived a mile or so from the Modriacher Stausee reservoir near a village called Pack in the rural Austrian region of Styria. They ran a dairy business that just about kept them afloat. Andi absorbed their ethic of stoic self-improvement. He was a quiet boy and a hard worker. Andi paid his dues in the fields. He liked to play the trumpet in a local band, a Musikkapelle. During the summer, he played football. During winter, he skied.

Andi was hired as a toolmaker in Flach, a town 10 kilometres from the farm. He didn't have a car so he took the bus. Between finishing work and catching the bus home, Andi had a two-hour wait. 'To loaf about and drink beer was not his thing,' his father Killian said. Andi joined a gym instead. Passing time waiting for a bus home, he connected with his strange fate. Andi got big quick. The weight hooked up with those juiced-up Germanic genes. Ethics of work and sacrifice ran deep in Andi, too. His muscles began to haul him out of obscurity.

Andi's God was Schwarzenegger. Arnold was Austrian. Moreover, Arnold was Styrian. Arnold came from Thal, Andi from Pack. Arnold took up bodybuilding after seeing a muscleman working out by a mountain reservoir. Andi grew up by one. Arnold became the greatest bodybuilder in the German-speaking world. Andi was striving towards that end. Arnold was a seven-time Mr Olympia. Now he was a movie star, perhaps the planet's most driven man.

In the gyms, everyone was juicing. To succeed in professional bodybuilding , you had to. But you had to do many other things too. If winning pro shows was as easy as taking steroids , every loser iron-junkie, every tragic muscle rat, would be Mr Olympia.

Somehow, somewhere, at some point, Andi joined in. He had no choice. In chess, there is a position called zugzwang, where you must make a move, even though that move will cause you to lose. Drugs were Andi's zugzwang. Drugs were bodybuilding 's zugzwang.

As he became more successful, Andi moved to Munich, where he was known as one of the nicest men in a sport mostly populated by meatheads, narcissists, egoists, attention-seekers, overcompensators and the terminally aggrieved. It was a sport that demanded extremity, so it attracted extremists. Andi was no such thing.

But he had made the deal. The Munich Andi would play the zugzwang. He hit some heavy cycles : he injected two ampoules of testosterone a day; he took the oral steroids Halotestin and Anabol; he combined them with Masteron and Parabolan ; he used between four and 24 units of the growth hormone STH. Steroids aided muscle repair and general recovery; they allowed him to train with greater intensity. He combined different steroid types to maximum effect. He found that STH, the synthetic growth hormone , mimicked human growth hormone ; it made everything grow - muscles, bones, organs, tissues. He ate 6-8,000 calories a day to nourish his muscles. He used insulin to stimulate his metabolism and churn the calories more quickly; he used at least five aspirin tablets each morning to thin his blood and help with the pain of training; he used ephedrine and Captagon to increase his intensity on the weights.

Fifteen weeks or so from competition, he would begin a rigorous diet designed to reduce his body fat. He would come down to 2,000 calories a day. In the days and hours before a show he used Aldactone and Lasix, both diuretics, to rid himself of the last of his water. Most pros would get close to competition shape once or twice a year. Anything else demanded too much; Andi maintained a reputation for always being in shape, or close to it.

The stomach pains had begun some months before Andi went to Columbus, Ohio, for the 1996 Arnold Classic. At first it was just more pain, and pain was the currency of muscle. Andi paid it little heed. It dug in and nestled down with all the other pain: the agonies of training, the banal deprivations of dieting down, the pulls, nicks, strains, jags and twists of the gym. But it kept coming back and its payload was different. A connoisseur of pain like Andi would soon have been able to tell. He would have been able to recognise it and rank it as something special in the pain game, something more exotic than the stuff he usually bore. He began to mention it to friends at the gym. He tried some health cures that would strengthen his stomach lining. Perhaps if Andi had quit training then, if he had turned away from the withering deprivations of another round of competition and stopped juicing he might have survived. Instead, the boy from Pack made himself ready to compete in front of the boy from Thal, in front of his hero.

After his sixth place at the Arnold Classic on 2 March 1996, Andi's mood remained low. 'Man, why don't you laugh?' a German official had said. 'You're the best white guy behind five Negroes.' Andi was never going to laugh at that. Best white guy. Best German speaker. All of the pain and deprivation, all of the gym seminars and pain-filled nights for those worthless epithets.

On the morning of 13 March, Andi's stomach pains became intense. His gut was swollen and hard. His bill had come in. He was fairly sure that this time he couldn't meet it. The debt was too big. The agony grew.

He was taken to hospital. Doctors there diagnosed the bleed, but could not prevent it continuing. He was transferred to the University Clinic. At 7pm, surgeons decided to operate to stop the bleeding inside Andi's stomach. Andi came through the operation, but his problems had multiplied catastrophically. His blood was viscous and slow-moving. His potassium levels were excessively high. He had been dehydrated by the diuretics he used in the days before his last competitions. His liver was melting. A post-mortem would find that it had dissolved almost completely. Andi's body went into shock. After his liver failed, his kidneys did too. He was offered a blood transfusion, but it was too late. Andi's heart held out for a while - he had always had a big heart - but by morning Munzer had joined the ranks of the bodybuilding dead.

Arnold Schwarzenegger sent a wreath from Hollywood to Andi's grave in Styria. The message was simple. It read: 'A last greeting to a friend.'

Last edited:
Yes it is getting better but think about it arnold looked human at least.Compare him to todays bodybuilders and he looks small and then think of andreas munzer dying to look like arnold and what he was on. Todays bodybuilders may be smarter and train harder but they are still bigger then arnold was. So just as much or if not more drugs. More money should be rewarded but that is getting better. Arnold in his book metions the problem and wants to save the sport he onced loved before its to late. His book isnt that old... This is a problem bodybuilding has to change like I said i pray it does but todays bodybuilders are just a big as the ones 10-15 years ago.They work hard and are smarter but that does not make this issue go away.Thats some seriously messed up stuff in that interview the ppl that read it and say bodybuilding is getting better or say it was a long time ago are being naive to think that. Just my opinion but compare bodybuilders from then to now it hasnt gotten better...mayb a bit but not much. Thats some messed up stuff I read it actually really bothers me because i love bodybuilding and to know some of the people I Idolize do this and get nothing...

Last edited:
Yes it is getting better but think about it arnold looked human at least.Compare him to todays bodybuilders and he looks small and then think of andreas munzer dying to look like arnold and what he was on. Todays bodybuilders may be smarter and train harder but they are still bigger then arnold was. So just as much or if not more drugs. More money should be rewarded but that is getting better. Arnold in his book metions the problem and wants to save the sport he onced loved before its to late. His book isnt that old... This is a problem bodybuilding has to change like I said i pray it does but todays bodybuilders are just a big as the ones 10-15 years ago.They work hard and are smarter but that does not make this issue go away.

I do agree, for the most part. But of course they are bigger now, just like every sport evolves. Barry Bonds > Babe Ruth. I do agree the whole IFBB system needs to change, and some judging criteria. I think the PHYSIQUES themselves are starting to slide back to a more appealing (still huge, though) look.

Blame Dorian Yates and ronnie Coleman, they were such freaks a lot of people ruined their bodies chasing them, instead of choosing their own path.

I think the negativity is starting to fade, and if you compare bodybuilders of the late 90's, early 2000's to now, a whole different beast. Guys now have degrees, are forward thinking, have access to the internet and sites like this, and are knowledgeable. Back 15 years ago, they just took everything they could and if you watch a lot of bodybuilding DVD's, no one knew or cared bout the intricate details of training and the human body.

Last edited:
Blame Dorian Yates and ronnie Coleman, they were such freaks a lot of people ruined their bodies chasing them, instead of choosing their own path.

I totally disagree. Blame no one but yourself for the path you choose. If somebody chooses to emulate me and they mess up their bodies am I the one to blame for that? Every person should make their own desicions and are therefor accountable for their decisions. If those decisions are wrong don't go pointing your finger at everybody else when you should be pointing your finger at yourself. The mentality of blaming everybody else is a cop out and shows a lack of charachter.

Well, when I spoke to Victor Conte several years ago, he told that when he tested all the top bodybuilders at the time (Ronnie was there, Don Long, Flex, etc) that all of them had cholesterol levels of 300 and above! He also said that he needed them to be completely honest about their AAS use, so he could evaluate them properly (Conte is a micro nutritionist)...He said they all used between 3 to 5 grams a week!! That didn't include GH, clen, AI's, stimulants, etc!!

I think the ones that try to be safe, work with a doctor and take all the necessary medications to counteract the side effects as best they can! Take a drug to counteract a drug...It's a vicious dangerous circle!!

if that's true for even 50% of today's pro's it's terrifying. there really is no answer though.. you cant start giving a frank zane physique the olympia title cos everyone knows whats possible, and where do you go from there? in any sport its breaking records etc that makes it exciting and if thats the ideal then how can any progression take place? everyone loves the freaks and i dont see how it can improve. if a top pro dropped dead tomorrow everyone would rationalize it wasnt gear related and that it wont happen to them. its only gonna get worse

freaks get ppl into the sport think about it who would pay to see someone whos 180 pounds and looks good after seeing guys like markus rulh and ronnie on stage... thats the problem but arnold changed the sport and looked incredible hes the most regonized bodybuilder in history going back to that era be hard but be a great step in the right direction. Bodybuilders have to stop copying people and start being original and becoming more balanced looking if a trend came into place and they starting doin this instead of being mass monsters the judges would have no choice to reward asthetics because thats what be presented. But thats in a world were we can all hold hands and get along lol :rolleyes:

freaks get ppl into the sport think about it who would pay to see someone whos 180 pounds and looks good after seeing guys like markus rulh and ronnie on stage... thats the problem but arnold changed the sport and looked incredible hes the most regonized bodybuilder in history going back to that era be hard but be a great step in the right direction. Bodybuilders have to stop copying people and start being original and becoming more balanced looking if a trend came into place and they starting doin this instead of being mass monsters the judges would have no choice to reward asthetics because thats what be presented. But thats in a world were we can all hold hands and get along lol :rolleyes:

I don't think it's the bodybuilders job to change the precedent, it's the judges! Bodybuilders are not going to start coming in smaller and more aesthetic and hope that the judges reward their effort....And I don't think that bodybuilders could unite and agree to change the sport by coming in smaller and more aesthetic! The only people who hold the power here are the judges!!

I totally disagree. Blame no one but yourself for the path you choose. If somebody chooses to emulate me and they mess up their bodies am I the one to blame for that? Every person should make their own desicions and are therefor accountable for their decisions. If those decisions are wrong don't go pointing your finger at everybody else when you should be pointing your finger at yourself. The mentality of blaming everybody else is a cop out and shows a lack of charachter.

Dude relax...I was just goofing around, I'm not suggesting their last words while dying in the hospital bed should DAMN YOU RONNIE COLEMAN, WHY ARE YOU SO FREAKY HUGE?!?!

Ease up cowboy

I don't think it's the bodybuilders job to change the precedent, it's the judges! Bodybuilders are not going to start coming in smaller and more aesthetic and hope that the judges reward their effort....And I don't think that bodybuilders could unite and agree to change the sport by coming in smaller and more aesthetic! The only people who hold the power here are the judges!!

I agree. Dudes like Troy Alves should be winning more shows...

I agree with this and I think it was in the interview somewhere.. if the judges keep picking mass monsters then of course every one is going to try and become as big as possible because that is what is winning and what is making MONEY! .... if the judges picked a tighter more aesthetic physique I bet you would be seeing a lot more of the top guys trying to cut down to achieve that look because that is what will win. as soon as the judges change what kind of physique wins, then the sport will change.. but as long as the 300 lbs guys are winning then it won't.

I agree with this and I think it was in the interview somewhere.. if the judges keep picking mass monsters then of course every one is going to try and become as big as possible because that is what is winning and what is making MONEY! .... if the judges picked a tighter more aesthetic physique I bet you would be seeing a lot more of the top guys trying to cut down to achieve that look because that is what will win. as soon as the judges change what kind of physique wins, then the sport will change.. but as long as the 300 lbs guys are winning then it won't.

FYI Phil Heath is about 30 lbs less then Kai and 20 lbs less then Jay, and taller then them. He beat them both at this years O...so they aren't giving it to the heaviest monsters anymore.

My FIRST GOAL was to create and operate a successful bodybuilding supplement company; I did that.

My NEXT GOAL is to LEGITAMIZE bodybuilding as a SPORT. Perhaps, even one day, it will be an OLYMPIC SPORT that is drug tested. This was Arnold's vision too, and although he has done so much for bodybuilding and the sport, he has failed to gain widespread mainstream acceptance.

THIS IS NOT HIS FAULT, however. It is the IFBB. The entire organization is ROTTEN. The physiques are grotesque, disproportionate, and completely lack aesthetics. But in the end, IT IS THE DRUGS. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE DRUGS! It's only a matter of time before the FBI shows up at the Olympia and everyone is taken off stage in handcuffs..

Last edited:
Ha

IM: All train alike?
BB: Well, yeah. We don't train that hard. [Most of the guys] are half asleep when they [work out].

My FIRST GOAL was to create and operate a successful bodybuilding supplement company; I did that.

My NEXT GOAL is to LEGITAMIZE bodybuilding as a SPORT. Perhaps, even one day, it will be an OLYMPIC SPORT that is drug tested. This was Arnold's vision too, and although he has done so much for bodybuilding and the sport, he has failed to gain widespread mainstream acceptance.

THIS IS NOT HIS FAULT, however. It is the IFBB. The entire organization is ROTTEN. The physiques are grotesque, disproportionate, and completely lack aesthetics. But in the end, IT IS THE DRUGS. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE DRUGS! It's only a matter of time before the FBI shows up at the Olympia and everyone is taken off stage in handcuffs..

Unfortunately this is just what might be needed to get things to back down a bit.

Judges play a huge role and thats true bodybuilders wont unite cuz they wanna win... yea i agree more with what you said lool now that i think about it. Does know one care about what state these guys are in and what they are doing to themselves? They sacrifice evrything from enjoying life in general to their own lives to living well to eating junk the list goes on and on... Almost everything regular ppl enjoy they dont and what do they get in return? Exploited

Last edited:
FYI Phil Heath is about 30 lbs less then Kai and 20 lbs less then Jay, and taller then them. He beat them both at this years O...so they aren't giving it to the heaviest monsters anymore.

That may be true, but he doesn't look smaller! They're still rewarding the visual!! Just like Flex Wheeler...He came in at high 220's or low 230's and didn't look small next to Ronnie!! He and Phil are just lucky to have the genetics they have!!

That is a pretty lofty goal and I doubt it will ever happen. In my opinion the mass monsters and the "grotesque" physiques are the reason bodybuilding is where it is today. How many people are going to pay to watch a show with 180-200 pound guys flexing and posing? Not many I would guess, seeing a human being as big as Jay or Branch or Dennis Wolf in person is pretty amazing and those freaks are the reason anyone even shows up at a bodybuilding contest to begin with. I for one like the look of the freaky mass monster and would rather look like that than a "natural" looking bodybuilder.

Exactly.

They want to win. So if winning means getting as big and freaky as possible then they are gonna try and do it. I don't agree with it but it's not their fault. People want the freak factor.

I have seen this many times (I am sure you have too). But it just popped up on facebook. This to me is the perfect bodybuilder. He looks incredible...

**broken link removed**

I want to look like him(well as close as I can get) but im worried people would then say I have chicken legs :/

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner