over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

calf routines

Standing calf raise, two supersets of 8-10 reps

Train calves twice per week. Max reps...usually 20 or so for each set. 8 sets every time I train them (2 exercises) Always mix feet positions (pointed in, out and straight on)

I use a mixture of these:

Seated calf raises
Standing calf raises on Smith machine (on the edge of a small step/wood box)
Dumbbell calf raises (one calf at a time) on the edge of a box/step
Leg press calves (feet at the bottom edge)

Best piece of advice I can offer from experience is every time you go to the gym work them in some way, shape or form.
2nd best piece of advice is heavy weight is the law.

I do a very slow negative and slow positive with a strong peak contraction and hold at the top...none of that bouncing crap. Have you ever seen anyone with decent calves bounce the reps? I haven't.

I go very heavy for 10reps, sometimes less, sometimes more, but always with a very, very slow movement up and down. I usually do 10sets...3 sets with toes pointed outward, 3 sets with toes pointed inward, and 4 sets with toes straight ahead. I use just one machine, and use a different machine each workout. I train calves 3x a week. If you want big calves on your research subject, try injecting his calves with igf1-Lr3 immediately after working them. It made my ape's calves grow considerably.

What he said ^^ about "bouncing" the reps...don't do it.

and...you should be walking like Frankenstein after you get off whatever machine you're using for calves, or you just didn't work 'em hard enough. :p

I find that my hams respond well to negatives too..

Last edited:
I will say this I don't bounce at the bottom which is how most people think of bouncing but often times I will do just the top half of the movement focusing on the peak contraction half. This will really swell of the calves for me as well as giving pure time under tension.
In the end you gotta find what works you of course but in general lack of calves is IMO more about under training than genetics.

standing calve raises or donkey calve raises

im a bgi fan of 3-4 sets, rep range 12-15, slow negative, big stretch every rep, and squeeze contraction point as hard as possible

i train calves once every 5-6 days

Train them 3-4x per week and do just one exercise for each session. I usually just alternated standing with seat calf raises 4x per week. Four sets each session with a weight that you can do 10-20 reps with. I did well when doing a nice fluid motion where you keep constant tension on the muscle and have a relatively fast tempo. Like others said dont bounce it, thats a good way to injure your tendon or ligaments in your foot.

I was able to bring my calves up doing that, and they were never more than one inch at most smaller than my upper arms.

My calf routine at the moment is so basic its ridiculous but seems to be working really well. I have no calf machines as stuck on home D so i do standing calf raises in the power rack with weight on my shoulders slow controlled right up and down go heavy as possible 4 sets, then put bar across my legs with a bogeyboard stoping it crushing my legs seated calf raises right up right down heavy as possible here a shot calf from the other day after 7 months off training and only back training for 2 months Justin Rys Bigkiwi's Photos | Facebook :)

My calf routine at the moment is so basic its ridiculous but seems to be working really well. I have no calf machines as stuck on home D so i do standing calf raises in the power rack with weight on my shoulders slow controlled right up and down go heavy as possible 4 sets, then put bar across my legs with a bogeyboard stoping it crushing my legs seated calf raises right up right down heavy as possible here a shot calf from the other day after 7 months off training and only back training for 2 months Justin Rys Bigkiwi's Photos | Facebook :)

I train at home now too. How do you do the standing calf raises with the weight on your shoulders? I am assuming you use an olympic barbell? How do you keep it balanced and keep from falling over?

I find that I have to do one leg at a time and hold onto the powerrack with the one arm. For weight I strap on weights at my waist, 90 lbs with just the one leg works well. I do feel like I hit the calves better though when I do both legs at once. So youre able to do both legs at once with weight on your shoulders? Id like to know your method so I can do that too.

Creative.
Do you stand on the floor for those standing raises or use a block of wood or something for range of motion increase?

I do a very slow negative and slow positive with a strong peak contraction and hold at the top...none of that bouncing crap. Have you ever seen anyone with decent calves bounce the reps? I haven't.

I go very heavy for 10reps, sometimes less, sometimes more, but always with a very, very slow movement up and down. I usually do 10sets...3 sets with toes pointed outward, 3 sets with toes pointed inward, and 4 sets with toes straight ahead. I use just one machine, and use a different machine each workout. I train calves 3x a week. If you want big calves on your research subject, try injecting his calves with igf1-Lr3 immediately after working them. It made my ape's calves grow considerably.

I train them like this too. I use all different approaches. Very slow is key with a strong peak contractions... I sometimes hold this for upto 10 secs... they are killers. Other times I may go fast and do lots of reps with a heavy weight.

I like to use calf raise machine... although these are good on the hack squat too. Calf extensions and donkey calf raises. I usually use 2 machines and do various sets on each. Maybe 5-10 sets total. Lots of techniques work.

I should add I am tall and have always struggled with legs in general but when I started this my calves transformed... still got long way to go but difference was huge. Most importantly is training them very frequently. You walk all day and the calves can take alot of punishment. When I started training them every day in the gym (3-5 days per week) I got the besr results. Even just for 10 mins. Super intense but quick sets and 10 mins and your done... do that 4 times weekly and see the changes. Obviously do this in cycle so for a month or so then back to 2 days per week for abit. Higher reps are good too. Change it about but train them intensely and frequently.

I do standing calf raise in my power rack too but I have to slide the bar on the uprights to balance myself kind like a smith machine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thanks guys you all are awesome. what do you guys tink about this routine
sitting calf machine:
1 wheel 30 reps
2 wheels 20 reps
3 wheels 12- 15 reps
4 wheels 6-8 reps
3 wheels failure
2 wheels failure
1 wheel failure
no rest all they way through

can i get your guys input

I find mine grow best with reps. I actually dont count reps and ill jump on a leg press machine and do reps for a set amount of time. I do this for 3-4 timed sets.

I will say this I don't bounce at the bottom which is how most people think of bouncing but often times I will do just the top half of the movement focusing on the peak contraction half. This will really swell of the calves for me as well as giving pure time under tension.
In the end you gotta find what works you of course but in general lack of calves is IMO more about under training than genetics.

i do the top half too it feels like im workin the gastroc more and not the soleus

Standing calf raises contract the soleus and gastrocnemius and seated use primarily the soleus. this is because the gastro crosses the knee and is relaxed when the knee is bent. the gastro is the muscle seen and the soleus is under it. Seated machines will add some thickness and isolate the inner muscle, and standing will work both relatively equally.
both muscles have high endurance, similar to abs, so they respond better to high reps in most people, include myself. I have found doing twice a week training best for them and one workout i pre-exaust the soleus on the seated machine and then use slower reps with pauses at the top for max contraction on the standing raises. the second i use multiple foot posistions and more explosive contractions, careful not to bounce, in order to get as many fibers to fire as posible on each rep.

I do standing calf raise in my power rack too but I have to slide the bar on the uprights to balance myself kind like a smith machine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I suppose you have the power rack bolted to the ground? Im lazy and havent bolted mine yet but maybe its time I drill some holes in the concrete and bolt it down.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131