over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Gym etiquette question

JustWannaBeHuge

FOUNDING Member / Kilo Klub Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
How do you handle people trying to talk to you? Myself, I usually just give a head nod, and a quick "what's up?" and keep it moving. My girlfriend, who I work out with, she is more polite than I am.

About 2 weeks ago, we just got to the gym, I loaded the bar for her to do rows, and this guy starts talking to her that was giving her unwanted "tips" before, so he started talking about a movie we had just seen and she loved it, so I was trying not to be rude, but after a few minutes I said "we should prolly get started so we can get done as others want to use this area too" so we do our workout blah blah blah.

Other day, we're 4 sets into our benches, I stripped my weight off, she's about to do her set and right before she lifts the weight off the rack, dude starts asking about the new Hobbit movie, if she saw it yet, how she liked it, how it was, and said how he hasn't seen it yet. So I said, "dude, we're doing our sets, she needs to do hers, then I need to reload the bar, we're trying to get done so we can get out of here and get some food" He walks away... no biggie

After the workout and we're walking to my truck, she said that when I went into the locker room, he went to her said I was rude and she just told him I don't like people interrupting me during a workout, so I said "Good, maybe he'll stop bothering us during our workouts then."

There's also been a few times that she's gone to the locker room and on the way back to the weights, he has stopped her and tried talking but she told him she needs to get back to me because we're in the middle of an exercise.

So my question is, if you lift with your g/f or wife and a guy keeps bothering her and she starts to get annoyed by it and annoyed he's during it right before or even during a set, but she's too polite to be a dick, how do you handle it, or how should she handle it?

you just tell him, with a dead serious killer face, your girl is to polite too tell him, but if he talks to her again your gonna smash his brains in with a 45lb plate. Finish off your sentence with "OK"!?

Something similar happened yesterday. I just tapped her on the elbow and, while looking at him, said "You're up." Then I turned my back to him while she did her set. He came around a couple more times, so after the workout I said to him (away from everyone...not into making a scene unless necessary) " Look, I'm not being a hard ass, but we're here to train. If you want to chat, wait until we're done.

He was cool about it and apologized.

If it happens again, I won't be quite so civilized.

I wouldn't let any dude just start talking with my girl for shits and giggles...nothing good can come from it. the same is true for me... unless its a gym question im not talking to anyone.

and let him know he needs to back off and if he thinks your rude man up and say that shit to your face. you both come to the gym to lift not talk, plenty other gym rats for him to talk to.

I run my own gym and have workout at some kind of a gym for over 20 years and your position has happened to me more than 100 times.
Myself i have to deal with people like this because honestly it is part of my job .
You on the other hand don't have to deal with this,get the guy by himself and be polite and tell him why you and your girl don't want distractions while you workout.
Nothing against him in particular just you need the time to get a workout in .
Let him know you want to be friendly and be friendly to him between sets and if he wants to draw that out tell him you need to get your set in .
If being discrete doesn't work put him in his place,honestly it looks like he wants to do your girl to me ???

this guy may be challenging the brassiness of your man sacks. don't feel threatened. honestly i'd just tell your girl to avoid conversation and eye contact. let her learn to deal with this stuff. you aren't going to be around all the time if shes marriage material & a hottie she needs to learn how to cope with creepers. now if it gets inappropriate or she starts to feel uncomfortable then thats your job. but i would approach the owner first prior to making a move. not that you expect the owner to do anything but this guy sounds like he might not have his head on straight so you don't want any false accusations. you don't want to start a fight in/on another mans property/business. the gym owner should be aware. at least if it turns physical the owner already knows whats up.

Last edited:
Always keep a half pound of raw hamburger on you and when this shit happens smear it across your face and scream like a banshee. Works every time!! Seriously though, I would never think of trying to get friendly with another man's GF. Just politely tell this guy she is with you and you would appreciate if he would respect that and stay away from her.

This has only happened a couple of times to me and each time it was when I was either in the bathroom or doing another set somewhere else. Luckily I didn't even have to say anything, I just walked over and stood by her and my presence was enough for him to wrap it up and leave. Not that I'm a mean guy, but I'm pretty tall, stretched ears, tatooed up. Apparently enough to scare away a doucher, lol.

If I had to say something though, I would be polite until the situation warranted otherwise.

Always keep a half pound of raw hamburger on you and when this shit happens smear it across your face and scream like a banshee. Works every time!! Seriously though, I would never think of trying to get friendly with another man's GF. Just politely tell this guy she is with you and you would appreciate if he would respect that and stay away from her.

:D

The dude is trying to creep on your girl, I’d beat his ass. Men and women cannot be casual friends in most cases. From a man’s perspective there is absolutely positively no reason to talk to a women (gf and wife ok) unless; it’s part of your job, being polite, or you’re interested in more than just talk.

that really irks me when guys try to talk to my gf in front of me. It's disrespectful to me. I don't go around talking to other guy's girls unless I am really good friends with them. My gf doesn't usually respond or gives one word answers and disengages from the conversation. Its really up to her to not be friendly.

Btw, would it bother you if it were hot chicks coming up talking to your gf or is it just because they are dudes?

The dude is trying to creep on your girl, I’d beat his ass. Men and women cannot be casual friends in most cases. From a man’s perspective there is absolutely positively no reason to talk to a women (gf and wife ok) unless; it’s part of your job, being polite, or you’re interested in more than just talk.

You can't beat anyone's ass for talking to your girlfriend. It is called assault and battery and will cost you thousands in legal fees and get you a record that will follow you the rest of your life.

I work out with my girl and a guy we've known from the gym for years literally walked up while she was doing dumbbell flies and kissed her on the cheek. I caught him running away and told him that I was going to knock his head off. It caught both of us off guard and I still wonder if I should have hit him or not. However, He hasn't tried anything like that since.

I guess what I'm saying is gauge the behavior and react accordingly. Be polite the first time or two but some people are dense and need a more direct approach.

Just have your girl be cold and completely non-friendly to this idiot. Unless he's mentally challenged, he should get the hint eventually. Or buy some headphones for her.

You can't beat anyone's ass for talking to your girlfriend. It is called assault and battery and will cost you thousands in legal fees and get you a record that will follow you the rest of your life.

Ha! I resemble that remark but I didn’t think anyone would take that literally. There are other ways without getting physical to get the point across…

Hey dude you handled it better than most. I wouldn't sweat it. My chick doesn't lift but when she interrupts my lift with a call or text I remind her the gym isn't playtime. Some of my acquaintances/friends try to get talking. There's been a few times where they'll be mid sentence and I just smash a set. Usually they get the hint. Even my partner does at times. Gotta remind him we can talk after. This 45-60 minutes is grow time.

If this dude keeps it up just tell him again, you and you're woman aren't there for social hour. If you have a problem then you can go sulk in a corner somewhere. If he's trying to flirt with her maybe let him know you don't appreciate him trying to run game on your woman with or without you standing there and it's making you quite angry. No need for violence like someone suggested just be straight forward.

that really irks me when guys try to talk to my gf in front of me. It's disrespectful to me. I don't go around talking to other guy's girls unless I am really good friends with them. My gf doesn't usually respond or gives one word answers and disengages from the conversation. Its really up to her to not be friendly.

Btw, would it bother you if it were hot chicks coming up talking to your gf or is it just because they are dudes?

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't bother me that people talk to her, she can be very outgoing esp. when it comes to movies and comics (we're both movie and comic nerds). the main thing is he doesn't seem to know when to walk away/stop and it really bothered me that she was lifting the bar with weight on it, and he starts talking to her right at lift off, it wasn't even at the end of the set. I don't want her focus to slip and she gets injured.

I'll let him know again that we're there to lift, if he keeps bothering her, then I'll complain to management. Not down with the beating his ass thing as I have a daughter turning 15 soon and trying to do that "role model" thing, you know? :D thanks for the advice guys.

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't bother me that people talk to her, she can be very outgoing esp. when it comes to movies and comics (we're both movie and comic nerds). the main thing is he doesn't seem to know when to walk away/stop and it really bothered me that she was lifting the bar with weight on it, and he starts talking to her right at lift off, it wasn't even at the end of the set. I don't want her focus to slip and she gets injured.

I'll let him know again that we're there to lift, if he keeps bothering her, then I'll complain to management. Not down with the beating his ass thing as I have a daughter turning 15 soon and trying to do that "role model" thing, you know? :D thanks for the advice guys.

Matts got it right you wouldnt do that to some 1 eles how or why would some 1 do that its not etiquette its bein an ass

sure its flattering for her good for her that guys are talkin to her and its cool you are way past that
but god dam its not a pick up joint its a fuckin gym if he cant see you guys are busy than any talk you have in no way makes you out of line.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity