Featured Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
June 2, 2015
The Lowdown On Drugs Part 1
Kevin Levrone, Shawn Ray & Dorian Yates Speak Out

There have always been plenty of lies and misinformation about steroids and other PEDs (performance-enhancing drugs). Things took a turn for the worse as the Internet made it possible to disseminate bad information at a rate and scale previously unimagined. In recent years, we’ve seen a flood of self-proclaimed drug experts, many of whom post anonymously, hold court on which drugs to use, how to use them and in what amounts. More than a few gain credibility with their target audience by claiming to be current or former pro bodybuilders, or to be advisers to them, even going so far as to list in detail the drug regimens of top bodybuilders, past and present. Understandably, their ulterior motives typically entail soliciting their own consulting services as drug gurus, or in some cases actually selling drugs.

Getting the pros to talk about drug use, and particularly their own, is a tricky situation at best. First you have the legal ramifications of admitting to illegal drug use, as well as the damage to your public image (even though all of us who have been around the sport for any length of time are fully aware that drugs are part of the game). That’s why we went to these living legends of the sport, all of whom are long since retired, to get the real scoop on drugs: their opinions on them, their experience as users and more. Nothing was off limits, and the frankness of some answers will surprise you. Remember, this is not secondhand or thirdhand information— for once it’s directly from the champion’s mouths. (Originally published in the February 2015 edition of MD Magazine.)

How old were you when you did your first cycle of steroids? Do you feel you were old enough? What was the cycle, and what type of results did you experience?

SR: I had just turned 20 and was coming off my overall victory in the NPC Teenage National Championship in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a time of trepidation for me. I knew this chemical aspect was present, however I just never wanted it to be a part of my economy as an athlete. Yet I also knew there were beneficial aspects to help growth, recovery and condition, and that these drugs were designed to aid and assist bodybuilders in their progress and competitive edge. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared, but like the majority of bodybuilders with any credible measure of success, I too would have to cross this bridge to get to the other side. I was on the verge of becoming my own person, making adult decisions, and this would for sure be one of them. I did a very light cycle of Anavar and Winstrol V for six weeks for that contest, and found myself in the victory circle again, a mere five months after becoming the best teenage bodybuilder in America. I was now the best junior champion in the world, at 20 years old.

What was strange to me about the introduction of steroids into my training regimen was that I had already believed in my “genetic potential” by winning all those teenage competitions over the past three years, but I came to doubt myself as I grew out of that division because I would be competing against older guys who were bigger and more mature than I was. I felt drugs would be a necessary addition at the next level of competition, based on the information I was constantly receiving from those who were more experienced in the game than I was. I felt like I trained a bit harder, with more purpose and hunger while using the drugs because I was told, “Steroids don’t just work because you take them, you have to make them work for you by training harder than ever before and dieting harder than everyone else!” It seemed like a psychological mindfuck of sorts, but I also knew that I was desperately trying to dot the I’s and cross the T’s to be the best in the world, not simply be pretty good!

The bar was raised very high for me with each victory, and my purpose in the sport was constantly being put to the test in the form of my mentor, John Brown. He wouldn’t allow me to become complacent, and took my training to another level once I introduced steroids. We trained longer and harder than ever before, took naps necessary for complete recovery, and also increased calories for growth and recovery. These were things that were not a part of my teenage contest preps, because victory came easy to me in those years. Now that I had moved on to the next level of competition, victory would have to be earned because the landscape and playing field would be quite different! These were no longer other kids I would be up against, but grown men with many years more training than I had.

DY: It was 1985. I was 23 years old and had decided to enter my first competition after a year and a half of training, in which I had made excellent progress. I knew the others who would be competing would be using gear, and I wanted to even the playing field. It was a very deliberate decision that I didn’t take lightly, and I did as much reading as I could first. At 23, I feel I was old enough. At that age, you are fully matured physically, you’ve reached your full adult height, and so on. Even though I hadn’t been training terribly long, I had already managed to develop my physique to a decent level. Looking back, I may have been able to win that contest without using anything. I did one six-week “building” cycle of 20 milligrams of Dianabol a day, which took me from 215 at 5’11” to 235. Those were the most dramatic results I ever saw from steroids. I took six weeks off the gear, then at eight weeks out from my contest I began using 15 milligrams of Anavar per day, as well as one shot of Primobolan a week, which was 200 milligrams. I competed at around 210-215 and won that contest. EFBB [Britain’s equivalent of the NPC] officials were there and convinced me to represent the United Kingdom the following weekend as our heavyweight at the IFBB World Games. I placed seventh, and competed with men like Berry de Mey and Matt Mendenhall, both of whom were the top amateur heavyweights in their respective nations at that time.

KL: Like I said, I did my first cycle of steroids when I was 24 years old, almost 25, at six weeks out from my first contest. By then, I was a grown man and making all my own decisions in all aspects of life, since both of my parents had passed away. My cousin Chico came over to my house with a bottle of testosterone cypionate and a syringe, and said, “Here you go.” But I had no idea how to load the syringe and do the shot, so I asked him to please do that for me. I don’t even know how much he gave me, but I had one shot a week for six weeks. That was it. The first week, nothing happened. Another week went by, still nothing. I was starting to think steroids didn’t do anything, but in the third week I started getting stronger all of a sudden, and looking fuller. I was training at a little health club called National Fitness, but at that point I decided to join a Powerhouse near me in Linthicum, Maryland, where a lot of serious bodybuilders and powerlifters went. There were a lot of guys using gear in there … and a few guys there sold it, too. I didn’t know I was supposed to diet for the show. I was working in construction all day back then, so that burned up a lot of calories. My dinners would be a Double Whopper with cheese from Burger King, and ice cream from McDonald’s. Before that six-week cycle, I was 198 pounds. By the end, I was 206 and much harder looking. I won the heavyweight and overall. A year later, I did the same thing at the NPC Junior Nationals and then turned pro at the Nationals in the fall of ‘91 at 236 pounds.

Did you believe in taking time completely off drugs for portions of the year, or did you always “cruise” on a low dose?

SR: As soon as the Mr. Olympia concluded every September, I remained drug free until the new year, every year.

DY: As I said, I would intersperse two four-week periods between my three eight-week cycles in the off-season. Aside from that, I was consistently on, but my doses were moderate.

KL: About halfway through my pro career, I had become famous for how much time I took off gear. It would be a full six months out of the year that I didn’t use anything. People thought I was crazy or lazy for doing it that way, and not trying to be huge all the time. But once I saw how well I responded to the juice, I realized I didn’t need much of it, and I sure didn’t need to be on it all the time. I could start up at 12 weeks out from a contest, and put all my muscle back on and get ripped by the time the show came around.

We see steroid cycles of top pros, both past and present, posted online— always from an anonymous source that claims to have coached the athlete in question, trained with them or known someone who did one of those. Have you ever seen one that seemed accurate, or do you think they are all completely fabricated because most people will accept them as being legit?

SR: I have never seriously cared nor have I ever been interested in what other athletes take or do regarding drug use. I personally believe what they do is personal to them and of no concern to me. I liken this attitude to another person’s sex life. I mean, really … what business is it of ours anyway, and to whose benefit? It’s their life and their journey— let them live it as they please and do what they want, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone.

DY: I can’t speak for all of them, though I have seen a few attributed to me that were absolutely fake. I saw one site that had the supposed cycles of everyone from Steve Reeves, Arnold to 50 Cent. Obviously most or all of them are made up. I talked in MD about what I used 20 years ago; I’m sure things have changed since then. But look, I’m retired now and I have the freedom to say what I want and be honest. Current athletes have pressure from sponsors and officials not to discuss their usage.

But back to the cycles I have seen posted that I supposedly did— they were all bullshit. Who knows what I used? Even my wife at the time didn’t. The only guys who did were my training partners at the time. Leroy Davis was my longtime training partner, and he typically used the same things I did. I can assure you he isn’t posting our cycles on the Internet.

KL: Unless the cycle came directly from the pro himself, like we are doing in this article, it’s almost certainly bullshit. People try to pass off so much crap as facts online, when it’s either something they came up with or just their opinion. I can’t imagine any top pro taking huge amounts of drugs for years without suffering serious health problems. It’s just satisfying for a lot of guys out there to see these crazy cycles that the champions supposedly do and say, “OK, that’s why he looks like that and won all those shows, he did tons and tons of drugs— that’s why I don’t look like him.”

In Part 2 which will be posted on Thursday June 4, the threesome talk about, the dosages used and address the “more is better” argument

"It’s just satisfying for a lot of guys out there to see these crazy cycles that the champions supposedly do and say, “OK, that’s why he looks like that and won all those shows, he did tons and tons of drugs— that’s why I don’t look like him.”

Levrone speaking the truth.

Genetic response to gear is what sets the best apart from the rest (of us!).

I had a friend in college that could take Sust 250 (the old Organon amps) 2x weekly and 75 mg of tren (rendered from pellets) and this kid would gain 20 lbs in 8 weeks. He was my first lesson in "Larry, you just don't have it!".:banghead:

Hell yes to genetic response...and ALL PHARMA stuff....remember, Var came in (I believe) 2.5 mg and I have heard that 20mg was freaking magic back then.

So pharma Test, Deca, Para, Primo, [Syntex] Drol, Dbol, Var, Winny

I believe the "pharma" part deserves more credit than it gets. 1 50mg tab of Syntex DRol ED would produce more dramatic results than some of the 1.5 gram EW cycles of today. lol

These guys are the best of the best. Great fucking genetics. But Kevin levrones body can't even hold 180 pounds without gear. Yes his response was insanse. But u need a lot of gear if ur body genetically doesn't want to be big

People always think that genetics only applies to a persons genetics for muscle shape, insertions, roundness and whatnot. But sometimes it's the persons ability to respond to the AAS that sets them apart. Look at Dorian when he was a kid, you never would have guessed he'd be able to attain the size he did, but once he started the AAS he blew up. Then you look at a Jay Cutler at a young age, and Jay could have probably attained some insane mass without ever having started using.

Bro all this HYPE about "Pharma" gear is annoying. 250mg of testosterone is 250mg of testosterone whether it comes from Bayer/Schering or a camel's dick... Really? That's ridiculous....

Oh Pharma is better! Ok, yea usually you get it dosed exactly how it is, but that's because UG labs give this shit a bad name..

Find a good UG source or powder source and you're solid for WAY cheaper...

I brew majority of my shit, but try different UG's here and there and with the exception of 1 or 2 yea they suck..

I brewed some Test for my dad who got blood work done and had Test levels at 190's, only 150mg per week and he was at 1034, I gave some to another buddy of mine who's been blasting and cruising forever, just turned 40 and wants to chill out for health reasons, was taking 250mg Test every 8 days or so and Test came back at 1200's...

It's all about the correct dose.

Yes UG sucks compared to Pharma, when the UG is being a cock and not doing it right!

Like I said, get a good UG or powder source and watch how you grow..

Genetic response to gear is what sets the best apart from the rest (of us!).

I had a friend in college that could take Sust 250 (the old Organon amps) 2x weekly and 75 mg of tren (rendered from pellets) and this kid would gain 20 lbs in 8 weeks. He was my first lesson in "Larry, you just don't have it!".:banghead:

I absolutely agree. Thats how i knew i didnt have it, if i didnt get the best response from drugs out of my own group of friends how was I going to compete on a national level? Its common sense to some of us...

Yet there are guys out there in there mid 30's competing over 10 years that still think if they just take a little bit more (on top of the already ridiculously high doses they are already taking) or make the right mix of shit they will look like Phil Heath. And you cant convince them that those guys are freaks and they just are not....

Hell yes to genetic response...and ALL PHARMA stuff....remember, Var came in (I believe) 2.5 mg and I have heard that 20mg was freaking magic back then.

So pharma Test, Deca, Para, Primo, [Syntex] Drol, Dbol, Var, Winny

Yep, pharma is the shit !!! When i first started AAS in the early 2000's there was a lot of pharma still floating around, worked great to say the least.

Bro all this HYPE about "Pharma" gear is annoying. 250mg of testosterone is 250mg of testosterone whether it comes from Bayer/Schering or a camel's dick... Really? That's ridiculous....

Oh Pharma is better! Ok, yea usually you get it dosed exactly how it is, but that's because UG labs give this shit a bad name..

I brew majority of my shit, but try different UG's here and there and with the exception of 1 or 2 yea they suck..

I brewed some Test for my dad who got blood work done and had Test levels at 190's, only 150mg per week and he was at 1034, I gave some to another buddy of mine who's been blasting and cruising forever, just turned 40 and wants to chill out for health reasons, was taking 250mg Test every 8 days or so and Test came back at 1200's...

Yes UG sucks compared to Pharma, when the UG is being a cock and not doing it right!

I hear what you are saying but i disagree in some regards. 250mg organon sust amps bloated me less and gave me less pimples than even omnadren did, and omnadren is considered pharma.

If you get properly dosed UG shit its good, but its not as good. Same with GH.

You cant convince me that a cycle of 750mg of organon sust, with 800mg of schering primo amps is not better than the UG equivalent. Even if the UG is dosed properly.

Just my opinion....

This is a copy of the article that was in the I think February issue of MD print magazine for those of you who were wondering. It's a good read. Part 2 is good too

200 week test cyp from the pharmacy gave me levels around 1700.
200 a week test cyp from biotech gave me levels around 1700.
whats the difference? there is no difference. far as "bloat" or whatever, id say that results from other stuff, not from the exact same chemical compound from one source v another. this guy is right on.

I would say the same shit if I retired. "Yeah only ran 250 mg of test cyp and 20 mg tbol once a year". Lmao

I don't particularly believe anything these guys say and I don't really care. Well maybe I do because I always read this shit. LOL!

I think that anyone thats in the know ... knows.

I don't blame pros for denying it. I'm just a nobody who likes a workout and I deny it to. No one gives a shit about me lol.

whats the difference? there is no difference. far as "bloat" or whatever, id say that results from other stuff, not from the exact same chemical compound from one source v another. this guy is right on.

Thats why i said i disagree in some regards. I hear what you are saying, but on the whole with pharma you know exactly what you are getting everytime.

We are lucky to have access to sources like Biotech and other top UG labs. Some of the shit i see floating around on the streets is a joke. Guys tell me what they are taking and im like dude your genetics, diet and training cant suck that bad... your shit is not good lol.

Sorry i still think there is something better about actual pharma. As far as gains, yes if its properly dosed test you would get the same results. Someone like me who has oily skin, the pharma just makes me break out so much less (but i suppose thats not a problem for everyone)

I don't particularly believe anything these guys say and I don't really care. Well maybe I do because I always read this shit. LOL!

I think that anyone thats in the know ... knows.

I don't blame pros for denying it. I'm just a nobody who likes a workout and I deny it to. No one gives a shit about me lol.

We always read it !!! Those mags are the worst publications ever, its all supplement advertisements (literally almost every other page) with little useless articles in between... But we buy it and love it. Its like a guilty pleasure, they are actually the only magazines i buy.

Many moons ago before there were so many underground labs,everyone was using vet grade gear. There were the exact same arguments "vet gear was dirty underdosed shit.". Everybody had a friend who did one amp of sustanon a week and gained 40lbs.

Many moons ago before there were so many underground labs,everyone was using vet grade gear. There were the exact same arguments "vet gear was dirty underdosed shit.". Everybody had a friend who did one amp of sustanon a week and gained 40lbs.

Yeah one amp dont do shit. Sorry if we were getting off topic with the pharma UG debate... But I agree that these guys are not being honest, even though i respect them i know they took more than they are leading us to believe.

Pharma or no pharma, they were huge. And i dont care that they lie, i know why they do... Its irresponsible to just say i did all these drugs bc stupid teenagers will think its the road map to becoming the next Dorian Yates and it aint !!!

Superior, Superior genetics, great diet, perfect training, and a good drug regimen. If you dont have the genetics though doing the rest of that wont get you to be the best in the world....

Last edited:
Part 2:

In bodybuilding there’s no more contentious issue than drug use exacerbated by the variety of conflicting advice being spread through the Internet. That’s why we went to these living legends of the sport, all of whom are long since retired, to get the real scoop on drugs: their opinions on them, their experience as users and more. Nothing was off limits, and the frankness of some answers will surprise you. Remember, this is not secondhand or thirdhand information— for once it’s directly from the champion’s mouths.

There is a lot of arguing about the amount of steroids the “average” pro uses these days. Some claim the total milligrams for gear each week ranges from 3,000 to 10,000. Do you believe some pros and top amateurs are using outrageous amounts? And if so, do they actually need that much or are they using far more than they need to?

SR: I defer to the previous answer I just gave you. Many of these pros take large doses of anabolics, HGH, insulin, alcohol, tobacco, food, supplements and so on. At the end of the day, as an individual with my own career, issues, personal life, family and business, do you really think I’d spend five minutes of my life wondering about what another bodybuilder is putting in his body? I can’t stop him, I more than likely don’t even know him …. so what’s the point of or the use of me having knowledge of what he is taking? I can’t use any information on drug use another person is doing and apply it to myself, as if we will achieve the exact same end result with two entirely different DNAs. I am Shawn Ray Productions, meaning my focus and energy goes into me and mine, and what works for me is a result of knowing my body— end of story. Yet there does seem to be a mistaken belief out there in the trenches that duplicating a specific person’s specific drug cycle will yield the exact same results in anyone, essentially giving you that person’s exact physique! That’s so off base it’s not even worth debating with anyone.

KL: I never knew what people used back in the day, and I don’t know what they use now either. I only know what I used and what worked for me. At some point, the receptors have to shut down. There has to be a point where only some of what is being taken is actually having an effect. You talk about guys allegedly using 10 grams of gear a week. Come on! That’s enough drugs for a 2,000-pound horse, not a 250-pound human. I don’t buy it. And if anyone really is using doses like that, they’re either not too bright, don’t care about their health one bit, or both.

Hold off on answering, Dorian, I want to add to that. One reason some have speculated that today’s bodybuilders use so much more is that the drugs now are often fake or terribly underdosed, whereas in the old days, gear was typically far more legitimate and potent. Do you agree or disagree?

DY: I do hear about very heavy doses being used nowadays. People come to me in the U.K. and Spain to be trained, and often they are on 5,000 milligrams a week or more of gear. That’s totally unnecessary. And I do believe the lower quality and potency of what’s around these days is part of it. In the ‘90s, everything we used was pharmaceutical grade. 250 milligrams of test was always 250 milligrams, and you didn’t have to worry that it was 200 or 100 milligrams. There was no black-market, underground gear yet. Now, it’s the total opposite. There is very little pharma-grade gear about; it’s almost all underground stuff made God-knows-where by God-knows-who. So how can you know what you’re really getting? Is it the drug it’s supposed to be? Is it the dose it claims to be on the label? I sincerely doubt it. There is far more profit to be made in substituting cheaper drugs and by underdosing products. I hear guys tell me they are on three of four grams of test a week. Bollocks! If you were really using that much test, your blood pressure would be through the roof and you would be retaining so much water you’d look like a blowfish.

SR: I personally think there is a lot of fake gear on the market, and the athletes fail to exercise their due diligence to test what they take to ensure the quality is accurate. However, I also know that the vast majority of bodybuilders today, both pro and amateur, start their careers using anabolic steroids without ever building a foundation or a firm base from which to build upon. Hence, if you start your bodybuilding off with the introduction of steroids, after the first phase of initial gains, you have nowhere to go as far as building upon “quality muscle” because it was all built synthetically. This leaves guys with bloat and swelling, but no real hardcore foundation of muscle that was built by the sweat of the brow! When we talk about the lack of muscle quality these days versus in days gone by, this factors in heavily.

KL: Steroids back then were higher quality. Fewer companies made them, and nearly all of them were major pharmaceutical companies. Syntex used to make Anadrol 2902 tabs that were 50 milligrams each and very strong. The stuff out there now can’t compare to it. The GH being used then was Humatrope by Eli Lilly, and it was the best. Now, people get it only from AIDS patients. Most guys use cheap Chinese crap that’s much weaker. The Winstrol V we used to use came in amps and would crystallize in the syringe. Now there are tons and tons of different drugs from so many underground labs I’ve never heard of. Guys try to ask me what I think of this or that drug, and rarely do I have any idea what they’re talking about. But I am sure the gear out there now is junk compared to what we had 20 years ago.

The prevailing attitude still seems to be that “more is better” when it comes to drugs among many of today’s bodybuilders. How much do you think an athlete actually needs, or is that a very individual, case-by-case issue? Do some guys require far less than others, while others legitimately need to use very large doses to make the same gains or hold the same size that others do?

SR: There is no question the old adage of “more is better” is applicable in today’s bodybuilding mentality, based on the size of the athletes. But make no mistake— in my era of the ‘90s, the bodybuilders were at an average all-time high as it relates to size and mass! There was no bigger era in the sport than the ‘90s, and I can honestly say I bet they were using a fraction of what today’s athletes are using overall. The proof is in the “muscle quality.” Just look at the detail and condition of the pros in the ‘90s by comparison, including the biggest guys, and you will see much more clarity, separation and density based on the hardcore foundation the guys built for themselves back then, and the longevity of their careers too. They knew it would be a marathon and not a sprint. How many of the guys today are here one year and gone the next?

DY: Speaking for myself, I took as little as possible to get the desired effects. If results were not satisfactory, I would increase only as needed, which is the logical way to go about it. If you can get good results on 1,000 milligrams, for example, why take 2,000? I knew powerlifters who would use as much as two grams of test cypionate a week in the ‘90s. That was crazy to us. I can’t comment on what the average amounts used or needed are. I only know what I did and what worked for me. Up until my first pro win at the 1991 Night of Champions, I always kept my total amount under 1,000 milligrams a week. Taking large amounts of test simply was not done in the ‘90s, from what conversations I did have with other guys. We would stack a moderate amount of test with either EQ [Equipoise] or Deca, and use orals with that. Now, with all the access to underground gear, it’s very common apparently for guys to use three to five grams of test alone before adding in other compounds. I really can’t tell you a whole lot about what my peers used, because I was isolated in Birmingham and not privy to what the boys over in the States were doing. Regardless, it wouldn’t have affected me. I did things my own way and could care less what others did.

KL: I think how much a person needs is probably a case-by-case basis. I mean, if you look at doses for many different prescription medications, the doses will vary for different people. One thing I never agreed with was the idea that as you went on, you needed to continue increasing your doses to keep seeing the same results. I never increased my amounts, though I did make small changes. My cycles went from six weeks to eight, and I added in Nolvadex as an anti-estrogen. Putting on size was never that hard for me. My off-season weight was about 278. At my first Mr. Olympia, I was 227 pounds, shredded to the bone. That was probably my best condition ever. I had been 233 winning the Night of Champions a few months before that. I competed many other times between 240 and 250, with my highest stage weight of 257. All that really changed was my training and my diet.

In Part 3 (to be posted next week), the legends talk in detail about which drugs they used and in what amounts (including cycles), name the drugs that worked best for them, discuss side effects they experienced and reveal what they use today, years later, to maintain normal hormone levels.

Do NONE of you realize that the guys were talking about their first damned cycle? READ.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear