advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

3-Day Splits better for advanced naturals?

AVelasques911

Registered
I've been lifting for 15 years or so, I haven't been on gear in at least 6 years and am just on TRT..... at this point in my life, I'm not gaining any muscle when I go to the gym, my measurements haven't changed at all in the past 5 years I would say, though strength still keeps increasing at a decent pace.

Realistically, from here on out I'm essentially maintaining my physique and trying to still get stronger, though at a slower pace than when I was younger.

I know the twice a week per body part is pretty popular at the moment but any more seasoned guys that are either natural or on minimal gear tried training just a 3 day per week P/P/L type split? I toyed with it this past year and it feels really weird being in the gym a lot less but honestly, I don't think I notice a real difference in my body than when I was going a 6 day P/P/L.... I feel like I'm topped out and short of jumping back on gear (never say never) or competing, am I just wasting time training twice as much? The only guy I know who is a huge advocate of this is Dave Goodin (and I think Skip?).

Good post! I am in the same boat. Been lifting since the mid 90's and have not used anything in 10 years. 38 and will consider HRT when I turn 40. I lift EOD in my garage. A rotation of upper and lower similar to D.C. Two way split and I toss in loaded carries at the end. Zerchers or farmer walks. Nothing crazy heavy and rather go the distance. Btw the best trap builders imho. Could only imagine if I was using gear and doing those EOD, lol. Lifting anymore is about stress relief here. Go in the garage, crank some music, chalk the hands up and do some basic lifting. Reps/volume vary depending on mood but the format of upper and lower rotation has been my go to over the past few years. Hitting each region every 4-5 days.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in a similar position. I've forced myself to back down on training since I'm only maintaining while on TRT. Kind of sucks to know you're not putting on muscle while training at the gym, but it is what it is. I now do weights EOD and HIIT cardio EOD (alternate days) and this seems to work best for me.

when i did a three day split it just seemed like you're in the gym 2+ hours, on a 4 or 5 day i can do 60 min and out

What I'm thinking about is overall efficiency. If I'm the exact same size spending 3 days in the gym as I am spending 6 days in the gym, as much as I love working out, it makes more sense to just do 3 days.

I mean, I'm topped out. My arms have been 17.5 inches and my waist 29 inches for years, regardless of training twice a week or 7 days a week (done both)

I think for me it's more of a neurotic thing lol, of just liking getting that pump as often as I can, because it's fun and feels good.... but my rational side has to kick in also.

OP. I'm very similar to you. I do a PPL split weekly and feel it works well for me. Doing more cardio now and sometimes add a fourth or fifth day in here and there depending how my body is healing. I'm satisfied with my results and see no need to spend extra time in the gym when I don't need to.

I have never trained more than 3/4 times per week and have recently started a 3 day split six days per week. So far I am liking the higher frequency lower volume. I do 3/1 followed by 3/2 then repeat.

I like a 3 day split, currently using Wed/ Fri/Sun

I am normally in gym little longer but enjoying it so far and decent results as over 40 yr old lifter.

when i did a three day split it just seemed like you're in the gym 2+ hours, on a 4 or 5 day i can do 60 min and out

This 100%. Plus, I actually enjoy working out and there's no better way to start a day than getting a good workout in. Doing it only 3 days a week would be a downer.

Research Leroy Colbert and his full body workouts. I follow this plan religiously. 3 days per week you are hitting each body part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always liked a push/pull when lifting 3x a week

Bench
ohp+ rear delt
Triceps
Squats
Leg ext
Calves

Pulldowns
DB row
Biceps
Deadlifts+leg curl
Calves

Legs grow quickly on this, you kinda tagging them every 48 hours

What I'm thinking about is overall efficiency. If I'm the exact same size spending 3 days in the gym as I am spending 6 days in the gym, as much as I love working out, it makes more sense to just do 3 days.

I mean, I'm topped out. My arms have been 17.5 inches and my waist 29 inches for years, regardless of training twice a week or 7 days a week (done both)

I think for me it's more of a neurotic thing lol, of just liking getting that pump as often as I can, because it's fun and feels good.... but my rational side has to kick in also.

AVelasques911,

Nice arm to waist ration. I am envious.

I think you already, perhaps unknowingly, answered your own question.
(Why do more if you look the same doing less?) I am a big proponent
of good gas mileage . . . getting the most from the least. And of 3X
per week, total body workouts. No secret there.

But another question remains it seems to me . . . what to do with
your ‘spare’ time, something that is fun and feels good as you say.
Who doesn’t like the feel and look of a good pump? I know I do.
But I also don’t like working out, spending a time in the gym.

How about finding another hobby that satisfies you . . . charity or
volunteer work? I have always found that helping others feels far
better, is far more rewarding than just focusing on yourself. Just
some food for thought. I know it is not the same, a ‘physical’
sensation, but it is rewarding in many other ways, not always
thinking about your body and your looks. But that is just me. You
need to find your path . . .

Also, how old are you? You may have topped out for your age
and TRT dosage. You have been training long enough to have
probably tried everything under the sun (I know I have, but I have
been training twice as long as you :eek: ) so you are really in a good
position now I think, with all the experience behind you, to wrap
your brain around some logical choices to resolve this ‘neurotic
thing’ ;)

Hope this helps.

Be well,
alfresco

Good split there. Done that before.

I always liked a push/pull when lifting 3x a week

Bench
ohp+ rear delt
Triceps
Squats
Leg ext
Calves

Pulldowns
DB row
Biceps
Deadlifts+leg curl
Calves

Legs grow quickly on this, you kinda tagging them every 48 hours

How much stronger are you now than you was 1,2 or 3 years ago?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear